Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Cranky Old Man

A few weeks ago, I acquired the Jarlaxle resin figure/kit, the Gale Force Nine licensed D&D figure. Began work on him as soon as I got him home.

s-l640.jpg.71a0b488da60a5922ba5c8aceba07ce9.jpg He's a swashbucklery kind of guy, and I liked his look. So, naturally, his left hand sword blade was broken off, and I managed to drop it into the black hole that opens between my feet EVERY durn time I sit down to paint or assemble or whatever, but I wasn't TOO upset; sword blades and weapon swaps are among the easiest mods there are, right? And it's not like I'm short on replacement parts. And so, I have been working on Jarlaxle these past few weekends. And finally, today, I attached his right arm after painting and detailing his chest... and that left hand sword blade began to bother me.

So I dug around, found an appropriate blade in resin, and set about attaching it. Bad news? These kits are RESIN, and resin's unforgiving stuff. There wasn't going to be any pinning this. This was a project that was going to have to go right the FIRST time. And I caaaarefully glued the new blade in place.

It fell off.

And I caaaaaarefully glued it back, and held it until I was sure the glue had set.

It fell off.

Some small amount of profanity later, the blade stayed where it was supposed to, in the proper orientation, and pointed in the proper direction. And I didn't trust it for a second. I knew quite well that if I tried to go get a sandwich or take a trip to the bathroom, the dratted sword blade would either fall off or sag and suddenly harden in an embarrassing downward position. I needed to prop it up, relieve it of the need to resist gravity while that glue set up. What to use? Durnit, I shoulda planned for this... what to USE?

And my eyes fell upon Frankenstein, the recent Reaper figure, who stands semifinished among an army of other unfinished figures atop my workbench. Was he tall enough? Yes, he was. And between his broad shoulders and flat head, I knew instantly that he'd be perfect to prop up the sword blade until I go back and check. And here I sit, sipping a pleasant beverage and wasting time online while the kink works out of my neck.

And on my workbench, Jarlaxle pauses in mid leap to dub his fellow miniature "Sir Frankenstein."

There. That's a thing you know, now.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

A few weeks ago, I acquired the Jarlaxle resin figure/kit, the Gale Force Nine licensed D&D figure. Began work on him as soon as I got him home.

s-l640.jpg.71a0b488da60a5922ba5c8aceba07ce9.jpg He's a swashbucklery kind of guy, and I liked his look. So, naturally, his left hand sword blade was broken off, and I managed to drop it into the black hole that opens between my feet EVERY durn time I sit down to paint or assemble or whatever, but I wasn't TOO upset; sword blades and weapon swaps are among the easiest mods there are, right? And it's not like I'm short on replacement parts. And so, I have been working on Jarlaxle these past few weekends. And finally, today, I attached his right arm after painting and detailing his chest... and that left hand sword blade began to bother me.

So I dug around, found an appropriate blade in resin, and set about attaching it. Bad news? These kits are RESIN, and resin's unforgiving stuff. There wasn't going to be any pinning this. This was a project that was going to have to go right the FIRST time. And I caaaarefully glued the new blade in place.

It fell off.

And I caaaaaarefully glued it back, and held it until I was sure the glue had set.

It fell off.

Some small amount of profanity later, the blade stayed where it was supposed to, in the proper orientation, and pointed in the proper direction. And I didn't trust it for a second. I knew quite well that if I tried to go get a sandwich or take a trip to the bathroom, the dratted sword blade would either fall off or sag and suddenly harden in an embarrassing downward position. I needed to prop it up, relieve it of the need to resist gravity while that glue set up. What to use? Durnit, I shoulda planned for this... what to USE?

And my eyes fell upon Frankenstein, the recent Reaper figure, who stands semifinished among an army of other unfinished figures atop my workbench. Was he tall enough? Yes, he was. And between his broad shoulders and flat head, I knew instantly that he'd be perfect to prop up the sword blade until I go back and check. And here I sit, sipping a pleasant beverage and wasting time online while the kink works out of my neck.

And on my workbench, Jarlaxle pauses in mid leap to dub his fellow miniature "Sir Frankenstein."

There. That's a thing you know, now.

This needs a photo to go with it.

• Like 6

On 2/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Crowley said:

This needs a photo to go with it.

thumbnail_IMG_20190221_202114287.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2