ced1106

Mantic : Terrain Crate 2 KS

"We’re planning to have four Crates on the Kickstarter, including Gothic Estate, Modern Life, Occupied Town and Abandoned Village (all names TBC). Across these four Crates, we’re going to cover a load of different periods, settings and uses. What’s more, if you want to pick up four Crates (and who wouldn’t) there will be a great all-in deal during the Kickstarter."

The announcement on January 5th didn't have the start date of the KS, only that it would be "soon". Do take a look at the previous Reaper thread about the quality of the plastic. I think it's fine for tabletop and there look to be plenty of pieces that haven't been mass-produced in plastic. However, if you want highly-detailed furniture pieces, I would recommend Tiny Furniture's resin line. 

Mantic Blog : https://manticblog.com/2019/01/05/12-days-of-christmas-terraincrate/

gothic-manor.png?resize=768,337&ssl=1village-square.png?resize=768,423&ssl=1modern-camp.png?resize=768,333&ssl=1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hmm - very few of the pieces shown so far interest me, but I'll have to keep an eye on this one. 

• Like 1

I have no interest in Gothic or Modern, I would have preferred to have them go the other way and do Ancient Greek, Roman, Norse and Egyptian terrain, I could use those in D&D either as regular terrain or as ancient treasures.

Oh well they, saved me money by doing Gothic and Modern.

The only one I like of the ones shown above is the grocery stand.

Edited by kodiakbear
  • Like 5

I just happened to buy the market stalls from Mantics last kickstarter today.

Horribly bendy material. 

• Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Horribly bendy material. 

I did not think those were from their first KS, I thought they were a after KS creation.

Either way sad to hear the market stalls are horribly bendy, I was impressed how straight my fences and ladders came from the first KS but my wagon needed the hot cold treatment like PVC minis do sometimes.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

I did not think those were from their first KS, I thought they were a after KS creation.

Either way sad to hear the market stalls are horribly bendy, I was impressed how straight my fences and ladders came from the first KS but my wagon needed the hot cold treatment like PVC minis do sometimes.

You might be right. I didn’t follow the kickstarter that closely as I decided not to back it.

Heres a pic of the set. It doesn’t show as much but even the thicker pieces are bendy. The thin pieces are going to be a problem. I don’t think they’re firm enough to support the weight of the top.

C4354038-E9A3-4A3E-9CFC-8BAC6B2B768F.thumb.jpeg.e498e7cd9a09df4399d16e09d4546c90.jpeg

It does look like the new market stall from the upcoming kickstarter has a thicker design, so maybe it’ll work.1F1B334F-C5CC-4B9C-ACFF-2208CA3670A0.thumb.png.17ddf87e8132b39a32b3c3311954b657.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, kodiakbear said:

I have no interest in Gothic or Modern, I would have preferred to have them go the other way and do Ancient Greek, Roman, Norse and Egyptian terrain, I could use those in D&D either as regular terrain or as ancient treasures.

Oh well they, saved me money by doing Gothic and Modern.

The only one I like of the ones shown above is the grocery stand.

Yeah, I’m in a similar boat. I backed the first Kickstarter for all 4 crates, but I’m not sure the offerings on this Kickstarter will be of much interest.

7 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Horribly bendy material. 

That's not typical of other stuff I have. They are disappointing.

I am interested in gothic and modern life

Darc's market stall looks awful. Nice packaging and presentation are obviously not everything. I haven't backed a Mantic KS since Dungeon Saga (which totally destroyed any good-will I had towards Mantic, even after the Basileans) and even resisted that scenery KS. I guess (especially since I now own a 3d printer) that I can resist this KS, too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

You might be right. I didn’t follow the kickstarter that closely as I decided not to back it.

Heres a pic of the set. It doesn’t show as much but even the thicker pieces are bendy. The thin pieces are going to be a problem. I don’t think they’re firm enough to support the weight of the top.

C4354038-E9A3-4A3E-9CFC-8BAC6B2B768F.thumb.jpeg.e498e7cd9a09df4399d16e09d4546c90.jpeg

It does look like the new market stall from the upcoming kickstarter has a thicker design, so maybe it’ll work.1F1B334F-C5CC-4B9C-ACFF-2208CA3670A0.thumb.png.17ddf87e8132b39a32b3c3311954b657.png

The trick to models like the market stalls and the wagons is to base them after you get them straightened up with the hot water/ice water method.

Get them glued down, so they don't get a chance to bend again.

I used 2 inch and 3 inch MDF bases that I bought from Gale Force 9, way back when. (Econobases.)

The wagons were a pain in the butt, but come out fine once straightened and based. (Though I left one with a bad case of the wobbles - abandoned wagons not being all that uncommon, and warp with the rain and the sun.) I based the wagons using green stuff over the MDF - so I could put in some wheel ruts.

A similar method should work well for the market stalls - sinking them into the green stuff, to both give support and to make it look like they have been there for a while.

The same warping is true with some of the Bones minis - PVC is a great material, with some very noticeable faults. Be creative on making up for those faults and working around them, and you can get some very nice builds. (I had Deathsleet gripping a shattered tree - a more dynamic look, but it was there mostly because Deathsleet kept drooping forward.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 9

Hmm. I'm curious. Depending on price and the models, this could be useful for my D&D world which is loosely inspired by 1600-1700s France. Plus undead and halflings and rampant polytheism. It is a city setting more than wilderness too and I lack building materials. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The same warping is true with some of the Bones minis - PVC is a great material, with some very noticeable faults. Be creative on making up for those faults and working around them, and you can get some very nice builds. (I had Deathsleet gripping a shattered tree - a more dynamic look, but it was there mostly because Deathsleet kept drooping forward.)

Much of what you said already occurred to me, but to be honest, there are some minis that I’m happy to spend a lot of time fiddling with to get them to look right, like dragons and giants, but then there are those minis, like the stalls,  I just want to buy and plonk down on the table after a very quick paint job.

These are going to require too much time and work for what they are.

• Like 7

I brought the market stalls and the bigger one was bendy as well. I built a frame from match sticks and mdf sprues and stuck it to the vertical supports and then across the middle at the top and bottom. Not sure about how I feel about having to do that. These are effectively made out of cheap toy soldier material but they should still be designed in a way that means they stand up. They aren't that cheap... 

• Like 6

The original KS doesn't have a market stall. It did have this "pole" sticking out of a tent, and this pole bent in my box. The KS box itself was "deep", much like a CMON base game box.

Sorry to hear about the bendy plastic. IIRC, One of the tables from Star Saga had a similar problem.

Tiny Furniture has a Market Stall in resin. While I don't have this model, I do have some of their other resin pieces, and the detail and quality is amazing. The set has about 50 pieces, although many of them are, of course, tiny!

39223c112343e704d588610f0861f82227dc86e1

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Much of what you said already occurred to me, but to be honest, there are some minis that I’m happy to spend a lot of time fiddling with to get them to look right, like dragons and giants, but then there are those minis, like the stalls,  I just want to buy and plonk down on the table after a very quick paint job.

These are going to require too much time and work for what they are.

Welcome to Terrain Crate, its the same material throughout the whole range, im not too impressed with it which is a shame as the designs are cool but poor production materials imo

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chickstaterii/tag-halfling-yeomen-of-the-yard

TAG - Halfling Yeomen of the Yard.
      28mm sized, Halfling Rooster Rider Miniatures for RPGs and Old-School Fantasy battles.
              About
      The Yeomen of the Yard.
      Join the TAG ChickStarter II
      Help us launch, The Yeomen of the Yard, Halfling Knights on armoured Rooster mounts.
      Ten 28mm Halfling miniatures, and four different armoured Roosters, with an Old School... favour.
        These new multi part models will be released as 6 packs.
      These are the full details.
      Halfling Wizard mounted & foot Halfling Lord mounted & foot Halfling Yeoman hero & herald Halfling Yeomen of the Yard Halfling Yeoman standard bearer & guard Armoured Roosters Pledge Levels
      Pledge £9.00
      Any one pack chosen from the six.
      Just want the Roosters, or one of the Characters takes your fancy? Then this is the Pledge for you.
      Pledge £18.00
      Something of a dabbler?
      Why not Pledge for any two packs that might suit your needs, check them out against your current models… see if they paint up well? 
      Very shrewd…
      Pledging £18.00 gives you this choice…
      Pledge £42.00
      Forget the fluff, all the meat. Ten mounted Halflings. A unit of hard-hitting armoured halflings on Roosters. Ideal for (s)mash-mouth wargamers…
      · Halfling Yeoman hero & herald · Halfling Yeomen of the Yard x 3 · Halfling Yeoman standard bearer & guard Plus, because we’re nice, we’ll add a Freebie miniature too... and... err...
       FREE SHIPPING! 
      Pledge £45.00
      One of each of the new models. Ten different halflings, eight mounted and two foot, plus, one of each of the Roosters extra. Covers all the bases.
      Halfling Wizard mounted & foot Halfling Lord mounted & foot  Halfling Yeoman hero & herald  Halfling Yeomen of the Yard  Halfling Yeoman standard bearer & guard Armoured Roosters  Plus, an exclusive Freebie miniature, & FREE SHIPPING!
      Pledge £80.00
      Two Units, or a Unit and a One of each & an extra pack of Roosters... or ten packs of Roosters (?!?) or any combination of ten packs that you’d care to put together.
      Plus two Freebies... & FREE SHIPPING!
      FREEBIE miniatures!
      TAG are giving away one Freebie Miniature with this Kickstarter. Currently its one for every approximately £45 Pledged. 
      Halfling Captain  Halfling Bard  You'll be free to choose which one of these you would like added for free, or you could choose from any on the TAG Freebie List, or you could exchange them for more minis for the range.
      Stretch Goals.
      £1000 – Double Up on Freebies. Instead of one Freebie we’ll double that up to two at the £42/£45 Levels, and 4 at the £80.00 Pledge level.
      £2000 – Make Exclusive Kickstarter Only mini. Previously on Kickstarter, we’ve sculpted some Exclusive minis for our Dwarves, Halfling and Zombies… at £1000, we’ll do this again and add the strictly limited-edition model, at all Pledge Levels.
      £3000 – Triple Freebies We’ve got a huge list, you’re welcome to pick form any of them. We'll add 3 at the £42/£45 Levels and 6 at the £80.00 Pledge Level.
      Shipping
      Postage on both the small Pledges is based on destination Country. 
      £4.00 for UK delivery,  £5.00 for EU,  £6.00 for Rest of the World destination. At the £42.00 level and above, all shipping, world wide is FREE!
      Delivery
      All Pledges will be Shipped by UK Post or UPS in January 2020
      Mini Size
      We here at TAG know that mini size and compatibility is very important to gamers so in an effort to show you  the size of our Halflings, I've scanned one here next to my old-school ruler... 
      ...and the Roosters too...
      Risks and challenges
      TAG, are a recognized miniature manufacturer of long standing, In the past 18 years once we commit to a Project, we always complete.
      As such we don't envisage any massive issue with this small ( 6 packs) Kickstarter.
      We have the Original models moulded, master-cast, and in pre-production, ready to move to full production, if and when, full Funding takes place.
      We have our own professional Mail Order facilities, and have completed on over a dozen Kickstarters, for TAG, and for many other small scale mini retailers here in the UK.
      As always, I'm sure there are a few ways we could cluck this up, but we promise that we'll work really hard, to make this a success, and if we don't you can give us a 'basting' on social media.
    • By ChaoticBlues
      The Grand Duchy of Reme awaits!
      Starting in 2002 Necromancer Games began populating its Lost Lands campaign setting one adventure at a time. The Grand Duchy of Reme is the region home to classic adventures released by Necromancer Games for D20/3.x and Frog God Games for Pathfinder, Swords & Wizardry and Fifth Edition. 
      More than 10 adventures have brought life to the Grand Duchy of Reme. The Lost Lands Campaign Sourcebook funded in January is expected to be over 700 pages and all of them are full of information. By necessity each region was described broadly, but there are still a wealth of history, politics and other details to be explored, experience and expanded in the Grand Duchy of Reme. 
      The Grand Duchy of Reme is a system neutral hardcover volume designed to be useful for campaigns independent of system preference. Specific details that affect the characters in the Lost Lands there are System Encounter Books. These companion volumes are softcover (or PDF), that contain reference stats for use with the Region book along with detailed encounter tables for the region.
      Additionally, 3 classic adventures previously unavailable for Pathfinder, Swords & Wizardry, and Fifth Edition are back. These are offered as either softcover add-ons in backerkit or as free stretch goals in PDF (see reward sidebar).
      Mock-up of Grand Duchy of Reme. Final release will differ slightly The city of Reme itself is ancient, with world-spanning trade — the eternal citadel of the Loreclans, where the ashes of legendary barbarian kings reside. This land lies near the slow collapse of the nearby Empire of Foere, and the rise of Bard’s Gate to the East. The Rhemish watch these events with cold eyes rather than concern, for they live in vast regions that devour invaders. Their land is eternal; their people can be forced back to the plains, but in the plains they can abide for as long as need be. They are — as a people — the ultimate hunters. The fall of Foere is like the fall of an antelope upon the plains; the rise of Bard’s Gate is little more than the stepping-up of jackals before the body. The Grand Duchy of Reme simply waits and watches — for Reme is the dwelling-place of the world’s wolves.
      Reme is a unique fantasy civilization whose structure is determined by the one overriding fact of its geography — the country is a vast, grassland plain. The realm is dominated by the culture of the ancient Loreclans: the urbanized and settled ones, and the nomadic clans of the interior. The Loreclans owe a certain fealty to the Dukes of Reme, who are the final arbiters of the ancient law of the plains, but between the Loreclans and the Dukes there are also the mysterious Pashtars: arbiters, judges, and mediators who roam the plains where their service takes them.
      The city of Reme, of course, is one of the wonders of the world of the Lost Lands, home of powerful spell-casters and perhaps the greatest mercantile and war fleets of the Crescent Sea. It is also, however, steeped in the culture of the vast plains of the interior. It is a place where assumptions are dangerous, for it is no standard fantasy environment — it is a culture that will be entirely new and foreign to your players, a place to truly explore as well as adventure.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/the-lost-lands-grand-duchy-of-reme/description
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/etherfields-board-game?ref=discovery_category_newest

About
      Etherfields is a new major miniature Board Game by Awaken Realms. We call this totally different BG experience a Dream Crawler – you will dive into surreal and artistically crafted world and follow one of a kind co-op / solo campaign adventure for 1-4 players. Everything you do will change the strange rhythm of the Etherfields dream world, where even the wildest fantasy is possible. 
      Gameplay created by the Board Game veteran Michał Oracz (author of This War of Mine: TBG, Neuroshima Hex or The Edge: Dawnfall and many others), will test not only your logical skills but also your intuition, deduction, and emotional intelligence. Develop your character from scratch using advanced deck-building, travel through the dream-world map and delve deeper into chosen locations.
      CLICK TO SEE ALL MODELS!    
    • By Westfalia
      100+ different Halfling models. And rather affordable they're too.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/westfaliaminiatures/the-third-breakfast

• By Talae
      Clorehaven & the Goblin Grotto, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printablescenery/clorehaven-and-the-goblin-grotto

The picturesque town of Clorehaven  
      A lively tavern, a variety of interesting and useful stores and fine lodgings is all the weary adventurer could ask  for.
      The locals seem polite and friendly. The beautiful stone and wood buildings tell you this small town is prosperous and will someday grow into a much larger city. But under the surface of the town, Clorehaven keeps a dark and foreboding secret.  
      Beneath the neat hedgerows and well-kept homes there lies a sprawling complex of caverns. 
      The deep goblins are a sniveling race of green-skins, plying their trade in the strange flora and fauna they gather from around mysterious pools. 
      Design and build your own medieval buildings using the Clorehaven OpenLOCK system. From simple houses to huge complex structures, anything is possible. 
      Explore the Goblin Grotto using the modular Grotto cavern system. Walls and floors can be combined to create a huge variety of underground caverns or above ground structures. 
      Who knows what’s in store for those above and what lies in the depths below. Clorehaven and the Goblin Grotto - By Printable Scenery - the best 3D printable scenery in all the worlds. 
      All the models from Clorehaven & the Goblin Grotto are delivered as optimized STL files to print on home 3D printers.
      If you take the All-In Pledge, you also receive the free bonus items.   
      Clorehaven Pledge :   Clorehaven is constructed using the OpenLOCK tile system where quality detailed modular and functional buildings can be constructed in any shape and size whilst maintaining the true 1" grid system used for most role playing games. 
      This pledge contains the models to build the Townhouse, Cottage, Homestead, Grand Hostel, Cabin, Tavern, Chalet, Watchtower and Schist Stone Fences.  The Clorehaven Pledge includes the stretch goals labelled Clorehaven.
       As the Kickstarter progresses the free stretch goals will grow and expand Clorehaven from a town into a city.
      Goblin Grotto Pledge:  The free form caverns create natural and expansive cavern maps and tunnel systems quickly and dynamically. The cavern floors are designed to have a comparable 1" grid system for RPG whilst still maintaining the natural rock form.
       PLAY This pledge contains the Moon Effigy, the Goblin Cavern Floors, The Cavern Walls, The Cavern Tunnels, the Cavern Bridge, Rickety Bridges and the Gloom Creeper. The Goblin Grotto Pledgeincludes the stretch goals labelled Goblin Grotto.
       All of our 3D-printable models begin their life as hand drawn concepts. From there we digitally sculpt the models to create high detail STL files. The models are test printed and painted before released so that you know each model from Printable Scenery will print perfectly. 
       Printable Scenery created the OpenLOCK system in 2016. Since then it has become the standard. Its innovative seamless locking system revolutionized dungeon system. Printable Scenery open-sourced the design and it allows for free commercial use to third party designers such as Open Forge.
      The Free Stretch Goals are a big part of our Kickstarters. The more stretch goals we hit, the more models you will get. So join us in this grand adventure and discover the stretch goals beyond.  

The bonus items listed below are free with the All-In Pledge.   
        If you want  an add-on you need to add the amount to your pledge or you can add it in the pledge manager at the end of the campaign.
      Note: If you want to get Add-Ons but not any of the main pledges then you can make a pledge for the amount for the Add-Ons only. To do this: 
      1. Select 'Back this Project'  2. Select '$1 or more -  Add-Ons Only' 3. Enter the amount for the Add-Ons.  Once the campaign closes you will be sent a link to the pledge manager to select the add-ons that you picked.
        Ruined Winterdale II Add-On NZ$30
      Back by popular demand, the Ruined Winterdale II Add-On contains 5 never before ruined buildings. To claim this add-on package you need to add the amount NZ$30 to your pledge or you can add it in the pledge manager at the end of the campaign.
      Dungeon Booster Add-On NZ$50 
      The Dungeon Booster Add-on contains walls and floors that are designed to boost your Rampage dungeon encounters.  To claim this add-on package you need to add the amount NZ$50 to your pledge or you can add it in the pledge manager at the end of the campaign.  
        Previous Kickstarter add-ons are bundled items that have been requested by backers from previous campaigns. 
      Click on the links below to see the list of models that are part of each Add-On.  (eg. the Lost Tribes contains 13 models)
  • Who's Online   54 Members, 1 Anonymous, 412 Guests (See full list)