Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I did some reorganizing of my painting desk over the weekend and thus finally pulled out the lightbox that my friend gave me for my birthday back in August. So I took a few pictures of Mashaaf (ok, a lot of pictures ) so I thought I should do a show off thread for her. Here is her WIP thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71909-guindyloo-vs-mashaaf-in-5-days/where I painted her in 5 days with a size 0 brush for OneBoot's Purple Cat Challenge.
Thank you for scrolling through all of my many, many pictures. There's a few things I would've done differently had I not run out of time, so all comments and criticism are very welcome!
I have some time off of work with the impending holiday so as always, it's a perfect opportunity to chuck my marbles out the window and take on a paint slopping challenge!
If you're not familiar with the Purple Cat Challenge, I highly recommend that you head over here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71342-introducing-the-purple-cat-challenge-mashaaf-in-5-days-wip/page-1 where you can see OneBoot establishing the challenge and defeating Mashaaf herself!
Who wouldn't want to take on a challenge set forth by a purple kitty?
So here are the roolz:
1) Thou shalt not use any brush larger than a standard size 0. 0 shall be the number on the brush, and the number on the brush shall be 0. 1 shalt thou not use, neither use thou 2, excepting that thou ensures that it is actually 0/2 on the brush. 5 is right out. Once the size 0, being the correct number, be reached, then lobbest thy size 0 brush towards thy foe, who being made of Bones, shall be painted.
2) 5 full days (120 consecutive hours) from when the timer starts are all the time that is allowed in this challenge; whether that time is spent working, sleeping, painting or sobbing uncontrollably is up to the participant.
3) Boiling and scrubbing the model to remove casting residue are the only prep tasks allowed prior to the timer being started. Removing mold lines, greenstuffing or otherwise altering the original sculpt in any way beyond factory spec is prohibited.
4) The timer starts with the posting of a picture of Mashaaf and my intended brush(es) to be used and a device bearing my local time. The challenge will therefore end at the same time 5 days (120 consecutive hours) later or whenever I complete the task prior to time running out.
You guys know how I roll. I'm not even slightly prepared for this (or am I? ) as my life is a slow crawl of constant disasters. My desk is as much of a wreck as my brain. I did, however, actually take Mashaaf out of her little baggie and dry-fit her though! But she needs some serious boiling if she's ever going to stand upright. And I'm still at work and will be for several hours. So my best guess is that I'll probably be officially starting on her tonight somewhere around 7 or 8pm CST!
Welcome, welcome, one and all, to the very first Purple Cat Challenge!
Most of you are probably familiar by now with the 7 day Goblin Challenge; the one where you can only use brushes Size 0 or smaller, and being kinda crazy is a common prerequisite. If you haven't heard of this madness before, here's the official rules, and here's where the insanity all began.
Now, after completing two of them, I've become rather fond of these challenges, and how they've stretched me to my limits and beyond as a painter. Something I've definitely noticed, though, is that while the Goblin Challenges are Legendary Feats (not exaggerating), they may never be feasible for responsible folks with jobs and families and what-not. So, this fact, plus buglips' attempt to paint Cthulhu in 2 days, plus my realization that there are other cool BIG minis that need painting, all crashed into each other and resulted in...a mess.
But! What came out of that mess was the idea of the Purple Cat Challenge. This will consist of smaller BIG minis that will still be challenging to complete in 5 days, but are both more affordable and hopefully more approachable to those not able to devote a solid week to tiny brushes and sanity loss.
Mashaaf will be the first, and I can confirm that Cthulhu will be the second. I have a good idea of the other models I'd like to include, but would like to paint them up first to determine whether they are good candidates or not. I don't have as much painting experience as buglips, so my initial assessment of whether a model would be a good challenge may be off, and I'd hate for someone to try one only to have it be ridiculously easy or impossibly difficult. :)
SO! Without further ado, here are Da Roolz*:
1. You may use no brushes larger than Size 0. As Size 0 can vary by company and brand, the average bristle dimensions are 10mm long by 1mm wide. When selecting brushes, try to be as close to this guideline as possible.
2. You have 5 full days to complete from your posted start time (including a picture with a time stamp from a phone or computer screen is helpful to establish this) to complete the model.
3. All visible areas must be painted, and all paint must be applied with a regulation brush.
4. No drilling, filing, mold line removal or other prepwork is permitted before start time. The only preparation allowed is to dry fit your pieces to make sure the model is complete, and do any boiling and reshaping necessary to correct warpage and return the model to "factory spec". You may also clean the pieces with soap and water.
5. All pieces as included in the box set at retail must be painted. This would include, for example, the 5 adventurer figures included with Dragons Don't Share 2.
6. You must declare in your thread title that you are doing a 5-day challenge (ex: Mashaaf in 5 Days; Cthulhu in 5 Days). This way your thread gets noticed as a challenge so I can watch the fun and make arrangements for the prize** if you succeed.
7. Eligible models for the challenge are: Mashaaf, Cthulhu. More will be added as eligibility is determined.
*Essentially, the Purple Cat Challenge roolz are exactly the same as the Goblin Challenge roolz, save for the models that are allowed (currently only Mashaaf and Cthulhu), and that the participant will have FIVE days instead of seven.
**NOTE: Any (non-monetary, unaffiliated with Reaper) completion prizes will be contingent on availability and finances. I will at the very least mail you a pretty certificate.
Let's get this party started!
EDIT: If you'd like to skip to the end, here is the completion picture: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71342-introducing-the-purple-cat-challenge-mashaaf-in-5-days-wip/?p=1458351
Who's Online 6 Members, 1 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)