Crowley

Crowley's Dreadmere: Mercenaries

Somehow I ended up with 2 sets of 03793: Townsfolk of Dreadmere: Mercenaries (3) by Bob Ridolfi, and another on the way with Bones 4. Figured these 3 (x2) would be a good set to start the year with. 

After a good wash and scrub, they were glued onto the last of my round Reaper bases (really like this style base) and proceed with Reaper brush on white primer. I then used Tanned Shadow and Ruddy Flesh for their faces and hands.IMG_20190105_171635.thumb.jpg.9f9b566a6affb271fb3ce46177d83818.jpg

Then used a variety of browns plus muddy Olive and burgundy wine, Black and linen white... IMG_20190105_194300__01.thumb.jpg.24a808364d35e88f8539acb75207f57e.jpg

Purple guy thinks he's extra fancy

IMG_20190105_194319__01.thumb.jpg.6c97c15397438d77b8a8744ee3e8a55a.jpg

One of these two has their beanie baby collection in their satchel.

IMG_20190105_194351__01.thumb.jpg.4e23bf432a134fb1fa4c702c0b1225e9.jpg

Mr Jedi with an ax to grind amuses me.

More to come!

• Like 19

Whoa - how did you get those bases in Yellow and blue? 

You're off to a good start. 

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Whoa - how did you get those bases in Yellow and blue? 

You're off to a good start. 

They were available as freebies at ReaperCon a few years back. They had ziplock bags of random bases in various colors. 

And thanks!

• Like 3

Picking up from where I left off, I spent most of my time cleaning up the sloppy blocking in I'd done.

IMG_20190106_173855__01.jpg

I also went and hit a bunch of little details. There are just enough on these guys to really bring out their personality, without overwhelming them. Above you can see how the straps, belts, and sheaths have all been painted or blocked in, and the boots are all painted as well. While I was at it I should have painted the bases...

IMG_20190106_214704__01.jpg

Because you can sort of see the white under the flock... Thankfully the addition of MOAR FLOCK seems to mostly deal with that issue. 

IMG_20190106_214648__01.jpg

I think I managed to give them all a fair bit of personality, and even different personalities between the same mini.

IMG_20190106_214715_01__01.jpg

The metal was all painted with either Aged Pewter or Dragon Bronze, and in general I tried to make it so that what was bronze on one version of the mini was pewter on the other.

While none of them will win any contests, they're done and I'm thrilled with how they came out.

• Like 9

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By strawhat
      Well, I managed to fight my way back into hobbying...at least a little bit.  The wraiths were some of the minis I was anxious to get at, so I wasted no time.

I thought about doing the expected (black and grey), but that left me uninspired.  So I thought about ROY-G-BV-ing them.  But I didn't have any OYs that I thought would be appropriate.  So I just muddled my way through.

My apologies to Bob Ridolfi, your sculpts are wonderful and deserve better than what I can throw on them.

The new wood paints were brought out to work the haft.  
      Muddy Soil served as the base for Bloodstain Red and Clotted Red

Nightmare Black followed by Carbon Grey and Glacier Mist.  This was a little too close to the Blue Greys triad, I was hoping for something further off.

The robes were started with Coal Black, and then hit with Peacock Green.  Brilliant Green finished them.  The tabard was started with Pure Black, followed with Stormy Grey, and then finished with Cloudy Grey.

The robes were started with Pure Black, then followed up with Dark Elf Shadow and Dark Elf Skin.  This is one of my favorite combinations.

I love the Blue Greys triad.  Midnight Blue, Twilight Blue, and then a 50/50 mix of Twilight Blue and Snow Shadow.  I think this is my favorite.

I wanted a monument reminiscent of marble, so I started with Leather White, Pure White, and finished with Sparkling Snow.
      The robes were done with Regal Purple, Monarch Purple, and Royal Purple.  The difference is a little more obvious in person, but I was having troubles with the camera.
    • By Maledrakh
      So now that we know who won the Game of Thrones and ended up sitting down...

Dragoth the Defiler on Throne. Just look at the strength of that undead overlord! Holding his sword casually in the air with his arm outstretched, Darth Vader-style!
      This mini is from the second Bones kickstarter core set. I based it on a 50mm round lipped and put some black flock around it. Looks good!
      This one can also do double duty as a Charnel Throne scenery item for my Age of Sigmar Flesh Eater Courts Army.
      The sword simply would not stay glued to the skull I placed the tip at. That is the power of Bones plastic memory for you. I should have heat treated the thing to position it correctly before painting. Oh well. No matter.
      Reaper makes a metal version of this that presumably predates the Bones 2 kickstarter, and that has a vampire's head instead of a skeleton's skull. I wonder why they changed it to a skull for the Bones version?

"Ah! We meet again! And I see your sword is as big as mine!"

77201 Dragoth the Defiler
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 2 KS 2013
      Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi
      Bonesium PVC.
      50mm round lipped base

• By Paradoxical Mouse
      I've decided I need to get better about finishing things. And at speed painting. 

So. Enter my May painting challenge. For every day in May, I am going to paint a townsfolk mini from Bones 4 from start to finish. These minis will be painted to at least a tabletop+ standard but getting to a display standard is the goal.

I only have 28 minis I count as townsfolk from Bones 4,  though...which means the last 3 will be adventurers (1 of which is not Bones 4) for my players and my Starfinder character.

And so, we begin with day 1.
      Today's mini is:

The milk maid! I really wish Bones 4 minis photographed as good as they look.

Here I go!
    • By Pingo
      I thought I had a WIP thread for her, but apparently not. I know I posted a half-done photo of her once, long ago. At any rate, here is a blast from the past and my past as well, the long-languishing Reaper 59037, Deadlands Noir Femme Fatale, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

And because I like to play around with backgrounds:

• By Painting Miniatures
      I took photos from start to finish on this project. The horror theme wasn't originally intended but sort of came to be when I noticed the dragons blood red!

• Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)