Sign in to follow this  
ThePolo

Several misc minis from December 'break'...

OUTSTANDING! Not only did you clear a space in your collection of unpainted treasures, all your creations are BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. VERY WELL DONE!

The mystery Dwarf, is a Heresy Dwarf Miner/Inventor. I have one myself. He is a splendid miniature with lots of extra parts to enhance other minis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

OUTSTANDING! Not only did you clear a space in your collection of unpainted treasures, all your creations are BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. VERY WELL DONE!

The mystery Dwarf, is a Heresy Dwarf Miner/Inventor. I have one myself. He is a splendid miniature with lots of extra parts to enhance other minis.

I love that dwarf! Do you know if it is still made?

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Look like it still is on their site? It's under 'heroes'.

The demon is indeed Abyst, although his wings are a little smaller than the one I'm currently painting. Nice job on all of them, particularly the dwarves

Lots of great minis here! It's interesting seeing the metal vs bones - it shows how even though you say you used some quick methods, I think your painting has leveled up. Love the demon and Rincewind in particular.

I love the dwarves...nice job! Borin Ironbrow's one of my favorites lately, and your paint job is awesome.

The setup is nice too. Shelves for unpainted minis = much better than the drawers I have now. 

Having read your plateau comment, I sympathize. I love your work!!

That said, I'd like to encourage you to step up your game on really hammering out more contrast for your metals. I'd also like to push you to drive some OSL. That warforged wizard is begging for OSL!

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 4:08 PM, Corsair said:

Yes he is. I couldn't remember what he was called. SO I looked him up on the Heresy site. He is listed under Heroes.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 1

Strong work for the month!

You have a good sense of contrast and of placing highlights & shadows, so you get striking results from quick paint-jobs.

And congrats on the new workstation organization.

My suggestions for photography:

1) Shoot against a darker background.   On a background this light, all of your paint looks "dark" by comparison.  A midtone background would let your highlights appear lighter.   I use gray or blue Canson artist paper for my backgrounds.

2) Crop tighter.  We all want to see the figures more than the background.  I crop my photos tight and usually resize them to 600 pixels high for my Forum posts.

3) Include in the original photo an object with a set of basic colors, so you can auto-balance with the object in frame, but then crop it out of your final photos.  I painted squares of red, yellow, green, blue, black, and white on a white index card, and I include this card in every shot.

These were pieces of advice that I got 10+ years ago from Reaper's staff painter (and paint guru) Anne Foerster, and I haven't changed my setup much since then.  You can search through my Show-Off threads and my Inspiration Gallery posts to see how my photographs turn out.  I like the results, anyway.  And Reaper likes my photos enough to include them in the online store. 

Keep up the good work, and keep sharing.

Derek (Schubert)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the feedback, and the input everyone!

That said, I'd like to encourage you to step up your game on really hammering out more contrast for your metals. I'd also like to push you to drive some OSL. That warforged wizard is begging for OSL!

I'm really sketchy on contrast for metals, other than washes and highlighting. I made it a point for like, a year, to push my highlights outside of my comfort zone... go one or two layers past what I thought was 'good'. I guess I need to start doing that with the metals? NMM is still a rare thing for me, but I've never really given as much attention to my metallics as I have my other colors. Thanks for the tip!

My suggestions for photography:

1) Shoot against a darker background.   On a background this light, all of your paint looks "dark" by comparison.  A midtone background would let your highlights appear lighter.   I use gray or blue Canson artist paper for my backgrounds.

2) Crop tighter.  We all want to see the figures more than the background.  I crop my photos tight and usually resize them to 600 pixels high for my Forum posts.

3) Include in the original photo an object with a set of basic colors, so you can auto-balance with the object in frame, but then crop it out of your final photos.  I painted squares of red, yellow, green, blue, black, and white on a white index card, and I include this card in every shot.

Exactly the sort of advice I've been looking for! Once upon a time my pics were 'okay', but I've never been consistent with them! I'll try the index card, and post the results next time! Thanks!

• Like 2