Jump to content

Pochi

Shambling Mound

Recommended Posts

Holy cow! It came out amazing! I'm not sure I've seen a nicer Shambling Mound. I really like all the different greens and the contrast between the green and brown parts. Superb.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Holy cow! It came out amazing! I'm not sure I've seen a nicer Shambling Mound. I really like all the different greens and the contrast between the green and brown parts. Superb.

Thank you! He's pretty fun to paint!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a Wiz Kids I wasn't aware of - just when I've decided to leave them alone and concentrate on my three (soon to be four) Bones kickstarters I find another one I need. Nice work!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She/He/Whatever is a BEAUTY in her/his/its own fashion. The extra foliage supplies the certain something to the miniature. Your brushwork, basing & eye for colors is OUTSTANDINGVERY WELL DONE indeed!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank looks beautiful. I love how nuanced the shades of green are. How long did that take?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

Thank looks beautiful. I love how nuanced the shades of green are. How long did that take?

It took my first session to basecoat everything because I used a few different greens and then different green washes. Then my next paint session I worked on highlighting, shading, and details. I'm not a fast painter, I probably worked on it for about 10 hours or so. I'm guessing because I would put him down while I was waiting for washes to dry and stuff like that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, CorallineAlgae said:

I went and got this mini specifically so I can steal the heck out of your beautiful paint scheme and basing. :wub:

Hope you don't mind. ::P:

Thank you! Have fun! There are lots of vines and branches and leaves and mushrooms and stuff all over him! Post your results when you finish him!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Lostraven
      Here is the Wyvern from the Bones 4 Core set. I really like the built-in scenic base - another nice sculpt from the set.

    • By Lostraven
      This is the Rat Ogre from the Bones 4 Core set (#12). It is a beautiful sculpt and casting.

       
      The base is a piece of cork sheet gouged out with the muck made from the bits. The bubbles are drops of super glue. The water is just painted and given a gloss coat.
    • By Rigel
      It seems that scale creep is a very real thing! This is Nolzur's delightfully brutish and verdant Shambling Mound. For a Large creature it is very large indeed, easily the size of a tabletop-scale elephant or bigger, and extending way off a 2x2 base with its outstretched limb.

      I put some straight-pin mushrooms on it, as I do. 
       
       

      Here's a group shot with Reaper's beautiful Swamp Shambler and a WotC grab-bag Dryad and Needle Blight, for scale comparison. 
    • By Rigel
      Been working on this guy for a while; finished him (for a given value of "finished") a couple weeks ago but didn't take pics until recently. The sculpted beard wasn't doing it for me, so I added some reindeer moss. Glued on some tiny leaves that look like miniaturized burr oak leaves. His huckable boulder I'm using for other terrain. 

      This is a big fella!
       

      C&C welcome as always.
    • By Geoff Davis
      Here are a couple of WIP photos from my T-rex conversion to the "King of Feathers". 
       
      I was working from this painting, from the "Tombs of Annihilation" campaign book.
       

       
      I trimmed away a lot of the ornamentation on his back and put on a base of green stuff.  Once that dried, giving me a smooth surface to work from, I started adding small strips of green stuff to jam the 'feathers' into.  The feathers are made from Dollar Store plants.  I used wire cutters to clip the ends off of about 500 individual plastic leaves.  Then I washed the leaves, so they would have a better chance of sticking to the green stuff and the glue.  They still fall out sometimes, even though they are glued into the greenstuff with superglue.  I would add a chunk of greenstuff and smooth it out.  Then I jammed in the 'feathers'.  Once I had a line of feathers in place, I put another line of greenstuff on top of them to hold them in place, and to be the base for the next layer of feathers.  Once I had all the pieces ready to go, it went surprisingly quickly.  The actual process of applying the feathers only took about two hours. 
       

       
       

       

       
      I used my airbrush to apply primer in a zenithal pattern.  Because of the complexity of the feathers, it was much easier to use the airbrush to prime it rather than brush it on. 
       

       
      Final paint finish turned out pretty well.
       

       
       
      Here is the same figure painted as a more traditional t-rex.
       

       
      This project was a lot of fun.  I spent a lot of time giggling over how the players in my D&D game were going to react when I put this on the table. 
       
       
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

×