Scalecolor Artist Scale75

NecroMancer

I'm intrigued, but I'm debating between a few options.  The all in feels overkill, but comes in a nice case (that would probably wind up being stashed somewhere a month or two later), and the six packs are... 

With shipping a six pack would be $53 CAD....   And a twelve pack would be $96 CAD including shipping....   $367 CAD for want it all.  Ouch. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard pass. The shipping is bad enough, but I don't like the rigid way they've set up the pledging where you can only purchase ONE of the sets of 12 and beyond that if you want more paint, you can only buy them in the sets of 6 or you can go all-in. On top of that, the kickstarter add-ons for their pre-existing products (the brushes, acrylic retarder, palette, etc.) are all priced higher in the kickstarter than they are in their web store.

If you really want to try out artist paints in a tube and can't wait for these to go to retail, go to Blick and pick up some of the Chroma's Jo Sonja Artists' Colours. They have a great reputation with a lot of the European painters who use a lot of artist paints and at $28.99 for the 12 tube sampler set or $2.93 per single tube*** if you just want to pick a couple of colours, it's a way more cost effective way to figure out if artist paints are right for you to integrate into your paint collection.

***For most colours, some are more expensive depending on the pigment used.

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

so... weird.  Having used tube acrylics, I'd just buy standard golden or liquitex acrylics if I wanted to paint canvas.  Since they're in much larger tubes anyway.  But I use completely different paint to paint canvas than I do minis. The consistency they're talking about on these is that of standard artist acrylics, where you want your brushstrokes to show, and where texture is built up through much thicker layers rather than our more watercolor-like techniques. All these mean to me is thinning the paint more.  I suppose it's good in that the small tube will stretch a long way, but I'd just as soon buy a set from dick blick of golden heavy body acrylics and get my free domestic shipping...

I'm sure these are fine quality, but seem oddly unsuited to mini painting. I couldn't see from the photos on the page, but does anyone know if they're listing their pigment information on each tube?  That's something I like in artist acrylics so I know if I'm actually getting a cadmium, cobalt, etc,  or just something similar to it. Pure pigment is much more fun to mix and behaves in a much more standard fashion.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Corporea said:

so... weird.  Having used tube acrylics, I'd just buy standard golden or liquitex acrylics if I wanted to paint canvas.  Since they're in much larger tubes anyway.  But I use completely different paint to paint canvas than I do minis. The consistency they're talking about on these is that of standard artist acrylics, where you want your brushstrokes to show, and where texture is built up through much thicker layers rather than our more watercolor-like techniques. All these mean to me is thinning the paint more.  I suppose it's good in that the small tube will stretch a long way, but I'd just as soon buy a set from dick blick of golden heavy body acrylics and get my free domestic shipping...

I'm sure these are fine quality, but seem oddly unsuited to mini painting. I couldn't see from the photos on the page, but does anyone know if they're listing their pigment information on each tube?  That's something I like in artist acrylics so I know if I'm actually getting a cadmium, cobalt, etc,  or just something similar to it. Pure pigment is much more fun to mix and behaves in a much more standard fashion.

They posted in the comments that they would soon be posting the technical information sheet soon.  Not sure if they have yet or not.

• Like 4

Shoshie did a video testing these paints if anyone wants to check it out here. I'm sure other mini painters made videos using these paints but this is the only one I've watched. They look pretty solid, but out of my price range. If shipping was cheaper I'd be tempted to snag a 12 pack. Gotta say, the tubes look all kinds of messy though.

• Like 4

Easy no for me on this.  I just can't see changing my paint work flow to work with acrylics in tubes when I am very happy with the Reaper dropper bottle paints I have (supplemented with some specifics from other lines).  I was never a canvas 2d painter and would have zero experience with these and really don't care to take on the learning curve.  I would think someone like James Wappel who came from that painting discipline would get into these perhaps.  But any paint budget I have will go towards the new Reaper Pathfinder paints once I get a look at what their colors look like.

• Like 4

I'm going to watch how things go with these, but the words "not sold at all" sure do come to mind.  Guindyloo touched on a number of things that were bugging me about how it's being run, and wrote it way better than I ever could have...

Am I curious?  Oh yes, I'm curious, but...  I'm not THAT curious given the cost.  To put it into perspective, for the cost of the all in pledge, I'd be looking at taking home most of Warcolours' range...

I'm also kind of leery with how they've replied to some of the comments.  Sure, a language barrier might be there, but at the same time some of them seem downright dismissive of questions that are asked...

• Like 3

To me this is something to pick a color or two down the line when in the USA store to try out and see if you can work it into your workflow.  If I want to mix, there are other newer paints that just came out of the prime colors that are more friendly in a bottle!  But I still enjoy reaching for a Reaper color and using it and just mixing to come up with a transition between two shades at best.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 1:46 PM, ironman1231 said:

I'm interested in what they're bringing to the table that makes this different than acrylic paint tubes you can get from any art supply. Using these paints based on the video is basically telling me I'm going to have to do a bunch of work to use them, as I'm only painting smaller stuff like Reaper Bones minis. 

Scale75 is centered-focused on 75mm scale busts and figures. Also, tanks, vehicles, spacecraft, big figures up to 1/12 Scale. Big stuff. 

Much bigger objects to paint, thicker paint, more coverage with a single coat, more blending time on larger areas?  But a smoother and creamier paint than a Typical tube paint.  I think that ^ is the difference. 

On 2/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, Highlander said:

Mini paints in tubes?  I use oils in tubes and the prep and cleanup times are extended.

I'll wait until I hear from those who actually use them.

These paints are acrylics. Water based clean-up. 

13 hours ago, vutpakdi said:

The prices seem to be in line with professional grade artist acrylics at DickBlick (not including shipping).  Other than packaging, it's not clear to me why these are better than those other acrylics.

Ron

I am getting the idea that they are going for maxed out pigment density (like the Reaper HDs) but a more liquid and smooth consistency than a tube of Liquitex.

12 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Hard pass. The shipping is bad enough, but I don't like the rigid way they've set up the pledging where you can only purchase ONE of the sets of 12 and beyond that if you want more paint, you can only buy them in the sets of 6 or you can go all-in.

They did have one where a backer can Cherry Pick a custom set of 12 colors. 

The shipping is a little surprising. They have a North American site. (I was inside the place last Saturday.) It is only 10-12 Miles away from Reaper HQ. 

11 hours ago, Corporea said:

so... weird.  Having used tube acrylics, I'd just buy standard golden or liquitex acrylics if I wanted to paint canvas.

The Liquitex tubes I have used are like toothpaste.....WRT texture / consistency. 

I think they are going for nearer a liquid than that. Thicker than BBQ sauce, smoother than Mustard or Tomato Ketchup, But more liquid than Mayonnaise. (That’s the impression I got from the videos.)

I think they are aiming at Artists who focus on big dioramas, large size models, and such. 

• Like 3