Cyradis

New Paint lines (split from Scale 75 paint KS thread)

I think that they said the new Reaper Pathfinder paints would be available around May, but for the life of me I can't remember which Reaper Live episode that it was discussed. They're supposed to have the same consistency as the Bones paints, so I'll probably end up picking them up at some point.

As far as discontinued paints are concerned, the entire HD range is gone. I missed the big discounted sale of them on the Reaper online store, but luckily I just managed to snag a complete set from a uk retailer ^_^

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I think that they said the new Reaper Pathfinder paints would be available around May, but for the life of me I can't remember which Reaper Live episode that it was discussed.

Here's a link to the timestamp where they start to discuss the Pathfinder Paints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMTR_Ofm7z4&#t=48m20s

Took me forever to find it since I'm so forgetful. ::P: I'd add the video in the comment but I don't know if there's still a way to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1) yep, the website. 

2) the HD paint line was discontinued in August, no new paint was made after that, and most if not all remaining stock was bought up in the Black Friday sale.  To the best of my knoedge no other paints or paint lines produced via reaper will “disappear” though “sample paints” are one-offs and Limited Edition / Seasonal colours are a thing.

3) upcoming paint colour releases aren’t announced super far in advance, but are included in forum news posts shortly prior to their release. I anticipate most of the next batches of paints to be released will be those featured in the bones 4 Kickstarter being released a few at a time at some point after March.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Highlander said:

Perhaps someone who knows can tell me:

1.  What Reaper Paints are available today.  And the answer will be, I suspect, to look at the website.

2.  What current Reaper Paints will disappear.  And what Reaper Paints disappeared in the last six months or so.

3.  What new Reaper Paints will appear.  And when.

I don't know and much of the discussion leaves me still not knowing.

In addition to the HD line gone, there's also the discontinued Heavy Gear Blitz set produced for Dreampod 9 and their mecha lines.(license ended), and some of the Core paints.(Reaper has discontinued some low selling colours. They discontinue entire triads when that happens)   

There's the holiday paints, which may or may not be available during Christmas.(If you see it in Reaper's store, snag it. The set is worth having) , Breast Cancer Awareness Pink(freebie given out to qualifying orders during October), and ReaperCon paints/Reapercon VIP paints. (Anyone visiting Reapercon gets a 'swag bag' which includes a couple of paints. Thy usually also sell thi bag online during RCon. VIP paints only happens to those who can afford a VIP pass. )

Most specials have SKUs in the 96xx range. 

Some of the discontinued or special paints can be found online if you're good at searching.   

Note, some of the HD paints can still be found in Reaper's Learn To Paint Kits.   

(The kits will be reworked, though, to replace them with paints from the other lines)

On 1/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, Highlander said:

Thank  you all.  I guess I need to find additional space to store paint.  Because I does love me my Reaper paints.

I have a lot of paints. The other new lines (Scale75, Kimera, Creature Caster, ...) I can probably skip (after admiring the videos).

But 50+ new Reaper colors? That's a done deal.

• Like 3

Those Creature Caster paints look nice, but I'll pass on having to re-bottle or find a top that isn't made like a super wasteful condiment lid.

• Like 2

I think its a mistake to do a Pathfinder paint line. As we've seen, and it's standard for any company, Paizo is going to do what Paizo thinks will expand their interests the most. Looks at the disaster that is Starfinder miniature and the ongoing Wizkids miniatures both prepainted and unpainted. 

Edited by JoeGKushner

Just now, JoeGKushner said:

I think its a mistake to do a Pathfinder paint line. As we've seen, and it's standard, Paizo is going to do what Paizo thinks will expand their 8nterests the most. Looks at the disaster that is Starfinder miniature and the ongoing Wizkids miniatures both prepainted and unpainted. 

From a customer stand point, I just look at it as a source for more colors from a paint manufacturer whose product I am familiar with.  So a bonus for that side I think.

From a marketing standpoint, I assume (given their accounting roots) that they made the decision to do this based on careful financial consideration of some sort.  But I wasn't a fly on the wall for those conversations and am just guessing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Paizo decided that they needed a paint set with specific colours, they would have gotten it even if Reaper wasn't interested in manufacturing them.    

They could have gone to Vallejo, Army Painter, Citadel... or a whole lot of other companies.     

The only thing we can be relatively certain about is that the paint sets will show up in FLGS selling unpainted Pathfinder figures. And many of those stores have never sold Reaper paints. 

So for Reaper it's not just about income, it's about marketing. 

That's my guess anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From a customer standpoint, Reaper can brand their paints in house as they have several times ranging from defunct propaint short bottles to the defund line they blew out at black Friday to the new bones paint. I see little gain unless Paizo is actively paying them.

13 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

I see little gain unless Paizo is actively paying them.

You may be right.  You may not be.  We won't know until the product has been on the shelves for months.  I am mildly optimistic about this paint line, myself.

To me, the big questions are:

• How large is the market segment this would appeal to?  (In particular, how large is the market share of painters who would choose Pathfinder-branded paint, especially beginning painters?)
  • Will Pathfinder branding help get the product into stores that do not currently sell Reaper paints or products?  (If so, can this be leveraged to get more Reaper products into said stores?)

None of us can answer these questions with any degree of accuracy.  Nor do we know the answers to fun questions like "What is the upfront R&D cost in money and time?", "Does R&D tie up resources that could be used on other projects?", "How many products in this line have to be sold for Reaper to turn a profit?", and "What is the projected number of sales within six months of release?"  (Nor should we, the general public, know the answers to these.)

All we can really do is make popcorn and see how things turn out.

• Like 3

All I know is I'm looking forward to an expanded Bones lineup of paints.  We have regular Bones, CAV paints (which are a mix of Bones and MPS, aren't they? Depending on which gen you buy), and now the forthcoming Pathfinder ones. 

More Bones colour is always a good thing, doubly so if it comes out right as things get warmed up here in Canada ^_^;;;

• Like 4

Oh i have no problem with more paint. Its the only thing i backed ftom the CAV kickstarter.  Its just licences expire, for exam0le no more Heavy Gear paint right?

• Like 1