Following the conclusion of Storm King's Thunder, our group has started The Curse of Strahd, and I decided to play a thief. Going through my collection of minis, the River Widow mini from ReaperCon called out to me. As usual, after cleaning the few bits of flash and mold lines, I paused... How did I want to base her. I've made extensive use of the Ruined Temple Courtyard stamp from Happy Seppuku... but for this game I decided that I was going to use the Fishscale brick pattern which I'd picked up during their Black Friday sale. I clipped the tab connecting her feet, leaving only 2 spikes from each foot to anchor her into the greenstuff. 

IMG_20190106_184153.thumb.jpg.a688eb6939e5a8e49d63ebbf8c236ec3.jpg

Once the greenstuff had cured, I glued her in place, and after waiting for the superglue to dry, I primed her with Reaper's Brown Liner. I then immediately tackled her eyes, trying to mirror what Derek did on his.  Seriously check this out, it's amazing... 

03913_Cailleach_DKS_6facedetail-300h.jpg.838e560ac3179fe56d3320cc5187adb2.jpg

So... I didn't quite achieve this, but it's probably the closest I've ever managed. Also I don't have a camera (or the skill) to capture a pic of this quality. 

IMG_20190108_214724__01__01.jpg.41046fbfdb55e47411a14e13bf916636.jpg

I basecoated her flesh with Ruddy Flesh, and then used Tanned Shadow on top of that. The bodice is based with Rich Indigo with Burgundy Wine over it. Her hair and lips are Auburn Shadow. 

IMG_20190108_214752__01.thumb.jpg.1b761d35e83df076cf3c6dbfa3f47b54.jpg

So far, so good, but I've got a lot more work to go. 

IMG_20190108_214724__01.jpg

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 13

So looking at the tag on this thread (critique me!), I'm going to suggest more pink in the flesh tone.  It's one of the things Corporea stresses in her faces class--blood vessels in the cheeks and eyes bring more red than you think.  Foreheads and chins have more yellow.  When you look at real redheads you also can see how their pale skin lets more of the pinks show through.  If you look at the pic of DKS' work you can see how red the shadows by the nose and cheeks look.  I've pretty much quit using the tanned flesh triad, it always looks too grey.

Faces have been my big focus lately, sorry if I got carried away with the suggestions!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

So looking at the tag on this thread (critique me!), I'm going to suggest more pink in the flesh tone.  It's one of the things Corporea stresses in her faces class--blood vessels in the cheeks and eyes bring more red than you think.  Foreheads and chins have more yellow.  When you look at real redheads you also can see how their pale skin lets more of the pinks show through.  If you look at the pic of DKS' work you can see how red the shadows by the nose and cheeks look.  I've pretty much quit using the tanned flesh triad, it always looks too grey.

Faces have been my big focus lately, sorry if I got carried away with the suggestions!  

Nothing to be sorry about! Much appreciated! 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I agree. The Tanned Skin triad is my least favorite of the triads I've tried, sortof. The Rosy Skin triad is okay colors, but are annoyingly grainy. 

And of the skin triads I've used end up needing a little tweaking, usually towards the red side. If you have Clear Red, that might do it, but it can be overpoweringly neon, I think. Very thinned Red Brick and Deep Red are good for pinking up skin. S75's Arbuckles Brown and Bosh Chestnut are also really good warm hues, and glaze beautifully. I've used colors as dark as these even on Fair skin; it doesn't take much. I do also think that Fair hues can go a little bit gray towards the shadows, but only where it is an area that shouldn't be blushed too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I do also think that Fair hues can go a little bit gray towards the shadows, but only where it is an area that shouldn't be blushed too. 

Yup, there's a faintly blue-ish effect I've seen on faces, especially with babies.  I'm not good enough to figure out how to add that element in, it's usually pretty subtle.  

• Like 3

Good start!

Since you asked for critique:

I'm not sure about the eyes, they come off as too big to me, I get the feeling they should be smaller and less white.

Some useful vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a6yRMl8x7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tluf3Pas52U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhH-GWvHG00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will leave the critiques to the more talented Folk. I love her face. This Girl has the look of an inveterate mischief maker...my kind of Girl.

I like what you are doing with her enough that I had to go through my Pirate box to make sure I had one. Keep up the SPLENDID work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I will leave the critiques to the more talented Folk. I love her face. This Girl has the look of an inveterate mischief maker...my kind of Girl.

I like what you are doing with her enough that I had to go through my Pirate box to make sure I had one. Keep up the SPLENDID work!

Yeah, in my head she's saying "I'm gonna have ta cut ya, and I'm gonna enjoy doing it" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bit of work tonight, cleaning up her eyes, adding some red to the tanned skin. I tried her scarf in green, but then went with Runic Purple which looks better. IMG_20190114_215618__01.thumb.jpg.5e1740a8fe5a10b1830cc63fdee1c0b7.jpg

IMG_20190114_215745__01.thumb.jpg.d2af5efe1c79f2c0afeec05b2bbb318c.jpg

IMG_20190114_215955__01.thumb.jpg.5dd1bc98c0ba44d18938a5afe1ce1cba.jpg

She looks a little less maniacal now. Need to clean up her eyebrows... 

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 10