Hello all! Here are a few pics of my second official terrain project. It's a castle/boss chamber, I suppose. I didn't really have anything in mind when I started building it; I was just fooling around with my new molds, tinkering with dry stacking. This eventually emerged.

I built it using Hirst Arts molds and bits from both Reaper and Mini Monsters. The Reaper parts are Large Sarcophagus (77540) and parts from Magic Treasures II and III. I made the flags from salad container plastic and various bits; one of these days I would like to go back and paint more detailed flags and replace these. I see so much amazing freehand banner work and I have artist envy...!

Happy painting,

Laura

20190114_160314.jpg

20190114_160327.jpg

20190114_160410.jpg

20190114_160520.jpg

IMG_20190114_161600_960.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

This is really cool! I hope many fun battles take place beneath those arches.

I have a couple of Hirst Arts molds, but haven't had the time to really mess with them. Hopefully I'll find some time this summer.

• Like 2

That looks awesome!

I recognize the Minimonsters Gargoyles, good use for those.

As for freehand, the banners look great, an effective and striking design!

Love it.

You can use this as a photoboard for painted minis as well.

• Like 2

That really is a SPLENDID creation. I normally associate Hirst casts with a stiff, Lego like appearance, but your piece flows.

It would make a LOVELY setting for photos.  OUTSTANDING WORK!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EvilJames said:

This is really cool! I hope many fun battles take place beneath those arches.

I have a couple of Hirst Arts molds, but haven't had the time to really mess with them. Hopefully I'll find some time this summer.

Thank you! We're starting the second half of Tomb of Annihilation right now, and my hubby GM thinks we may all die here at some point. 

And watch out...those things are addictive. No one can cast just one!

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That looks awesome!

I recognize the Minimonsters Gargoyles, good use for those.

As for freehand, the banners look great, an effective and striking design!

Love it.

You can use this as a photoboard for painted minis as well.

Yes! I almost used one of the MiniMonsters large gargoyles as a central feature, but it was too much. Love their accessories.

And I hadn't even thought of using these as photo staging until I saw one of Malefactus' posts. It's a great idea.

4 hours ago, KruleBear said:

This turned out great..especially for starting it without a plan in place. 

Thanks! Next one is being planned a little better though; I had to break this one apart at places once or twice to make things fit.

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

That really is a SPLENDID creation. I normally associate Hirst casts with a stiff, Lego like appearance, but your piece flows.

It would make a LOVELY setting for photos.  OUTSTANDING WORK!

Thank you! As I said to Glitterwolf above, I had never thought of using these for photographing other minis, but then I saw your wizard set in the forest. It's an excellent idea.

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Well done! The brass/bronze touches are very nice. 

Thanks! I'd painted them as stonework first, but it was all too samey. Then I tried black marble; I like the look enough to leave it on the pillars, but the whole thing still needed more contrast. So bronze it is. :-)

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      Here's the finished product.  WIP here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88136-blzeebub-builds-another-bird-boxbegin/&tab=comments#comment-1870132  I made this as a wedding gift for some friends.  I think they'll dig it and maybe you will too.

More moss!  I added a stained bottom for easy attachment to a post.  I also decided to enrich the wood of the door and slapped some wood stain on it for depth of color.  The metal I roughed up a bit with sandpaper and sprayed with a solution of salt, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar to speed oxidation.  Though the ridge cap is galvanized steel and the chimney is aluminum, so who knows what that oxidation will actually look like!  Questions, comments, critiques always welcome!

• By BLZeebub
      So...gonna make this a WIP though it's technically done as of yesterday.  At the risk of becoming the "birdhouse guy" I opted to skip the registry of household (comm)oddities and make a bluebird nesting box for my friends' wedding.  I think they'll appreciate it.

I wanted a kind of whimsical, cottage style--the crazy roof being the focus.  After much perusing of images of "fairy house," "magic cottage," and the like I settled on a basic design.   I used a jigsaw to cut out the front and back walls from 1/2" plywood.  Side walls are similarly non-square.  Wood glue and finishing nails later and I had a frame.

While that dried I soaked some 5mm (1/4") plywood in hot water long enough to soften it and bent it slowly onto the frame, clamped it for a day, and glued and nailed.  Repeated for the other side.  The two sides of ply were differently happy to take a curve so I acquiesced to the wood.  Some peeling of the outer ply occurred, but later I scraped that off.

For the rocks, I took some "river pebbles" from the local big box hardware store, rinsed off the dust and began applying with heavy duty landscaping adhesive (might have actually been Liquid Nails brand--I've used it before for the same effect).  Let these cure and catch up with other life for a few days then on to the other sides!

• By lexomatic
      I know about the craft article on filling a bucket with sand and spraying foam in the space carved out.  I don't have a ton of time so didn't do that. I DID take a few sheets of parchment paper, a few sections of plastic fruit containers lined with parchment paper, and sprayed a can's worth of expanding insulation foam to make some hills.
      Because of needing to get by with a stroller, foam was packed up after an hour to continue curing.

In a few days I'll seal with brown craft paint and modgepodge, then experiment with flocking.

• By BLZeebub
      This is something I started working on a looong time ago.  I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs.  WIP  here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
      I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this.  Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain.  Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
      You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale.  I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
      Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
      In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
      Questions, comments, critiques welcome!

• By Nightwing
      A craft store near me was going out of business, and I found the rock molding kit from Scene O Rama for $1. There was enough plaster to make  2 molds of each rock. I painted them as instructed with the provided paints, glued them to balsa squares and rectangles, added some dirt and the talus. Some bushes added for color and interest. I wouldn’t use balsa wood for this again. The washes and thinned down glues caused the balsa to curl. 

I figured id use them as difficult terrain indicators in our D&D games.  I’m thinking about running the old timey Isle of Dread adventure for my group, maybe these will come in handy. 

• Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 107 Guests (See full list)