Sign in to follow this  
pduggie

Catfolk feet?

Kudos for making new catfolk in a variety of roles. The first two, Mal and Shadoweyes, that Julie Guthrie sculpted are great!

What is with the splayed feet of the other new ones? They don't look like cat feet at all.

Were these some other sculpt repurposed with cat heads? I'm not too fond of them and would prefer cat people with catlike feet. 

Edited by pduggie
  • Like 2

I could kind of see it with the monk due to the pose, but the others do look uncatlike.

I really like Mal and Shadoweyes though.

• Like 4

Of course you do. Julie made those. 

I don't think they're resculpts. The body lines are too 'normal' for that.  I suspect it's more a desire to show off each claw individually.

Glenn Harris, though. It's strange. His first mini seems to be from 2008, and looks pretty decent. 

Not something I'd buy, but then again, male halflings isn't my cup of tea...   

(Not interested in the 2 Chronoscope minis either)

Swiftpaw has kind of weird feet, and could really use a bit more fur texturing on the head, but is otherwise OK.

Trilladour should be painted with a big target on his chest because the pose screams 'shoot me' 

Mistveil, in addition to the feet, seems to have somewhat 'flabby' arms.(I'm willing to attribute it to 'fluffed out' fur, though) But yeah, I bought it, so not too bad, really. (I hope I can hack the feet into shape somehow)

Steelclaw really need to learn not to hold his shield that way. There's no protection in holding it like that. And yeah, his feet. His armor is pretty nondescript, which is actually good. Lots of opportunity to practice blending, freehand and anything else you want. He's on my 'maybe get one or two' list.  

His coming Azarmand, Catfolk barbarian looks pretty good, actually.  I will probably get one when it's released. 

Tawnyll... Not certain if this is a male or female, really(and the tags doesn't reveal it), but the pose makes it uninteresting to me, even if it wasn't for the very splayed feet on this one.   

He looks as if he can create GOOD miniatures when he sets his mind to it, so I'll assume that he's 'coming up to speed' and that future minis from him will be good. 

• Like 2

Hmm. A lot of Harris' catfolk look a little unfinished, and they have a very flat-so-it-casts-well sort of pose, like they're saying "behold! I am holding this (object)!" And the feet are much more draconic-reptilian than cat-like.

Of course, coming at the same qualities from another angle, there's a no-nonsense simplicity to the sculpts that will allow opportunity for smooth blends and freehand, the poses are reminiscent of old-school Grenadier and Partha characters, and the feet have clear claws that will ruin a goblin's day.

So, yeah. Reaper continues to produce minis I want, and minis I don't...carry on! ::P:

• Like 7

Swiftpaw the monk looks like he has some kind of fins or something off the back of the ankle. That's what made me questions if these were even supposed to be cats. 

• Like 1

I hate to agree on this. I'm a huge fan of catfolk minis, but I'm not feeling the love for these Glenn Harris sculpts either. The bird feet, the odd heads, the Captain Picard like smoothness to the clothes and armor, uninspired poses, the unfinished look of Steelclaw. I ordered Julie Guthrie's recent catfolk minis right away and bought her fantastic 02910 Cheetah Girl long ago. I'd love to see more catfolk figures in Julie's style. I'm one of the people who asked Reaper for more catfolk for years, but these aren't up to snuff. The devil really is in the details.

03928_w_1.jpg03893_w_1.jpg

02910_G.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure Glenn's catfolk sculpts are digital, which may explain some of the issues with them.  

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I'm pretty sure Glenn's catfolk sculpts are digital, which may explain some of the issues with them.  

I think our right. @GHarris if your Glen Harris, can you elaborate?

I've picked up Switftpaw & Trillador as both were possible pregens for my Vegas games, with Trill being an actual one. One thing I will say Glen's Catfolk are extremely tall. They are about the same size as a standard 28mm figure but then you add in their legs are bent & well.....

They are nice but they aren't Julie's versions of catfolk. I will add I'd like to see more of Julie's take on catfolk as well. The upcoming barbarian & wizard thou, look great, especially the barbarian. (preview pics are up onsite)

• Like 4

The barbarian really does look nice. I'll probably have to jump on that one. Just saw him in the preview gallery and noticed he has 2 images with different heads and slightly different tail positions.

03934_w_2.jpg  03934_w_1.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah, I am a hard pass on most of the recent catfolk. They look smooth, with almost no fur detailing, like they're sphinxes without actually having the right head scuplts to be sphinxes. I've been dissatisfied with their overall smoothness, and I hadn't even noticed those feet. Yeesh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having cared for (house) cats for a few decades I can say that when a cat is getting ready to jump or brace itself, the hind feet will be splayed like that. Combined with the facial expression they look very aggressive. But I can see why it doesn't look right; the lack of texture on the fur doesn't help.

• Like 7

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who found the splayed feet of the Catfolk strange.  They strike me as much more lizard/draconic than feline.

• Like 4

@GHarris again, let me second the thanks. I personally like the sculpts, and the feet really didn't bother me one way or the other.  

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 4