Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
This is a Dwarf Lord Ragmir by Scibor monstrous miniatures, I got this for my nephew awhile back and just finished it. This thing had a lot of good details, and a cool base even if it was a little small, which is no longer an issue since I just mounted him on his stock base and then a metal knockout from an electrical box.
Thanks for looking!
By Geoff Davis
This is Kassata Lewynn, sculpted by Julie Guthrie. The base is resin, from Celtic Ruins pack BRCE0043, by Scibor Miniatures.
I love this sculpt and I love the way she turned out. However, I had a lot of little problems that surprised me when painting her.
Somehow I managed to drop her at least five times while working on her. I had to put a sheet of foam under where I was working to prevent further damage. This has not happened to me before, so it was quite frustrating. Each time, there were little white dings in the paint in the middle of spots where I was blending that required multiple layers re-painted to fix the damage. I think I found and fixed most of them.
As I was painting her hair, the paint started drying in a completely different way. It started snowing, so maybe it was the change in weather. When I did the brown layer, the paint flowed very smoothly. Part way through painting the first highlight layer, the paint started drying almost immediately. I am using a #3 Raphael 8404, and it would dry out to the point of no paint flowing within a few seconds. None of the usual tricks seemed to work (more thinning, flow aid). It ended up being almost dry brushing, which is why the highlights in her hair look so chalky.
I noticed a tiny dark spot on her left collar and thought I had dabbed black paint by mistake. I blended the brown over it several times and it just wouldn't cover over. Then I figured it out -- there was a hole in her collar all the way through to her shoulder. A lot of the paint I was applying to cover what I thought was a spot of dark paint was actually wicking through the collar and coming out on the underside. You can see the dark spot in the top picture right below her chin. It could have been fixed with a spot of glaze but I decided to leave it. Maybe she had a near miss with an arrow at some point.
Her face turned out to be exceptionally difficult for me to paint. Her eyes have sculpted texture that I found made it very difficult for me to place the irises. That's why the eye placement looks a little off. Plus, I somehow managed to paint slightly triangular blobs with narrow point upwards instead of circles. That is contributing to her slightly cross-eyed appearance. If I paint this miniature again in future, I will probably try to smooth the surfaces of the eyes to make it easier to make them symmetrical. Her lips also have a shape that I found very challenging. There are cute little dimples at each corner of her mouth which give her a nice smile. I found that if I had the paint thinned enough to paint her lips, the paint was also thin enough to immediately wick into these dimples, which significantly magnified the apparent size of her mouth. I tried repeatedly to paint her lips smoothly, but I had to paint it over and start again each time. I originally started with a less bright red for her lips, keeping in with the overall milder colour scheme, but the darker red didn't flow into the dimples so that's what she has. Correcting this each time had an impact on the blending of the flesh tones on her face, which is why there looks like there is a sharp brush line down the middle of her right cheek. That's where I gave up trying to fix the blending. I think if I did this miniature again, I would paint the shade tone of the flesh colour into the dimples, and then fill them in with glazing medium. That way I might still get the nice smile, but not have to fight with the wicking effect on the lip colour. I also misjudged the overall skin tone. I used the Reaper fair skin triad with a very slight darkening of the fair skin shadow as the darkest shade and brightened the fair skin highlight with white. I think the whole series turned out to be too light and as a result there doesn't appear to be much shape to her face when viewed from a distance. I should have started with a darker shade overall, maybe by adding a mid-range brown to the darkest shade colours for her skin to increase the contrast.
I created the gem on her right bracer by filling in the rune shape that was there with glaze. I like the way the gem turned out and the colour, but I shouldn't have outlined the gem shape with black. I think I should probably used the a darker version of the shade colour I used on the bracer, which was a mixture of nightshade purple and bronzed shadow (from the bronzed flesh triad). The gem would have still been nicely framed, but the black is just too stark and didn't turn out very smooth. It might look better if I had been able to make the black margin narrower and rounder.
Anyway, if anyone has any feedback to share about this model, I would love to hear it.
Ok, this isn't a New year's resolution ( I don't make those), but I have decided that I need to get over the "I'm not good enough" thing and try to push myself to paint all those figures that I've been saving for 'some day'.
That day is NOW.
I grabbed this figure during a Black Friday sale for something like 4 or 5 bucks. Depending on where you get it from, it's usually more like 30. It's 28mm scale, but it stands pretty tall; I'm guessing it's 54mm tall or thereabouts. I'll get a proper picture with Sir Forscale a little bit later on.
I'd like you to help push me to do my absolute best with this guy, please. If you think something looks good, cool, tell me that. By the same token, if you think something doesn't look good, tell me that, too. I want you guys to 'break out the red pen' as Cyradis would say.
For reference, this is the figure I'm talking about (picture from the WWW, not my figure).