GHOST Brush: A Paintbrush Set For Miniature Painters

Rotiahn

As for shipping and money...   

I'm guessing that he's got a Chinese manufacturer ready, and also haven't really studied how KickStarter handles money...   

What a pity that he never heard of Chinese new years...  

Incidentally, the $3000 stretch goal was an additional set of 8 brushes included for free to anyone backing for one or more sets. 

He's got over 500 pledges, with over 100 being double sets. That's a lot of brushes. 

I have a suspicion that he's way overextended already...   

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

This paragraph from the KS description kills me.  It looks like he's basically doing the same thing that GW, Reaper and other hobby manufacturers are doing - buying brushes from a brush manufacturer and reselling them. 

Actually it sounds as if he noticed what GOOD sice 0 brushes costs, and never bothered to check what a size 6, 10 or 20 of the same material costs...   

For those who haven't checked what a size 10 Kolinsky costs... Don't... Your wallet will scream out in terror...   

'our sizes' are actually the cheapest in the series... 

• Like 8

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Actually it sounds as if he noticed what GOOD sice 0 brushes costs, and never bothered to check what a size 6, 10 or 20 of the same material costs...   

For those who haven't checked what a size 10 Kolinsky costs... Don't... Your wallet will scream out in terror...   

This doesn't seem too bad:

Long Tapered Round, Size 10 Short Handle 8.7 mm 32 mm List $189.00 $125.92

OTOH:

Jumbo Round, Size 50 Short Handle 29 mm 64 mm List $1,995.00 $1495.00 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

Also I hate to be cynical but I have to wonder how much these brushes differ from a very similar listing I just found on everyone's favourite bulk manufacturing / ordering site...

At a minimum it looks like he's had them private labelled.   

45 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Alongside what everyone else has said (what makes these brushes different, who needs brushes THAT big? O_o), my biggest question is how they feel they can fulfill... 

In a single month.  They won't even have the cash in their bank account from backers at the end of January, so how are they able to have these brushes to people shipping in Feb? 

Feb 2019 is just for the Thank You Pledge - the other pledges are for July 2019. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

True, but that's not uncommon for that site- I would hope that for a kickstarter this guy has researched into it more than this and there actually is something more to his claims that these are superior to other synthetic brushes, but I am definitely steering clear of this one personally.

• Like 3

So I've been sort of flipping through and scanning some of the videos in the creators YouTube Channel.   It looks like he's been playing Warhammer for a number of years, but only really got into serious miniature painting about 2 years ago when he quit drinking.  He actually has a two part video where he says mini painting saved his life. 

So @Cyradis's assessment may be correct.   A relative novice who is looking to give back to a hobby that's helped him immensely.  I think he sincerely believes that he's providing a superior product at a good price. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Feb 2019 is just for the Thank You Pledge - the other pledges are for July 2019. 

Ahhhh, I totally missed that part must have been skimming too fast. 

Either way, five months to get it all together and shipped (while dealing with certain holidays that might pop up), it feels slightly optimistic...  But maybe I'm just listening to the part of my mind that's trying to save up for other hobbies.. 

• Like 3

On 1/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, Gadgetman! said:

That's exactly what I thought.  Large quality Kolinsky Sable brushes are way more expensive.

But I think he's selling cheap nylon brushes as a replacement for good sable brushes.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 2

- Back on topic- it looks like there's someone on the Kickstarter who is sending out links to WAY cheaper synthetic brushes, and getting quite a bit of backlash from the backers who want the overpriced synthetic brushes from a Kickstarter that say Ghost on them.

I'm starting to think that the guy who made this Kickstarter looked at the price of cheap brushes and decided to sell them to gamers at a large markup.

It looks like you can order brushes that look identical to his $2 brushes on Alibaba for 10-90 cents each- including putting your own label on them.  Some people are speculating that this is what he's doing, but at very least, I think it tells us what his Chinese manufacturer is charging.

It gets me because the selling point on the Kickstarter is that these brushes are cheaper than your normal gaming brand brushes, but they seem on the more expensive side of nylon brushes, and don't seem to have anything new or unique to offer.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 2

I find it extremely likely that the manufacturer the creator's using is indeed something like Alibaba where he's just found some cheap synthetic brushes that he can customize to capture the same sort of look that the Artis Opus brushes have, which I think was likely where he got the idea and saw a way to fund his hobby and promote/fund equipment for his youtube channel. I don't think it's any more malicious than that. I also don't think that pointing this out is all that much of a "gotcha" moment. Surprise, people selling things purchase their goods for cheap, put their name on it and then sell it at a big markup to make a profit. That's nothing new. I find it amusing that he's calling out big companies for it at the same time.

I think that as a display painter, synthetics have their uses, but I'd rather pay a couple more dollars for my sable Rosemary & Co. brushes that work beautifully and last forever as sable vs. synthetic makes a big difference for the way that I paint. So I'm not the target demographic here and that's fine. I'd protest more were it not for the stretch goal that pushed the price down to around $2.20 per brush (for the single set pledge) which is more than I would pay for a synthetic brush, but I don't think it's an obnoxiously ridiculous price for people to pay if they're already happy with using synthetic brushes and like the aesthetic. People pay for packaging all the time, that's why companies make their packaging as attractive as possible. 

What I really don't understand are the backers in the comments going out of their way to defend the quality of brushes that they've never used nor held in their hands. That just genuinely doesn't make any sense. If you're fine with giving synthetic brushes that you like the look of a chance and you're fine with supporting someone in the hobby that you think has genuine intentions, those are perfectly fine reasons to defend a project... but insisting that they're quality when you have literally no idea whether they are or not just because the creator, who obviously wants to sell them to you, says so, well.... that's honestly just silly.

As far as I can tell in my scanning of the project page, he's not making any outlandish claims about how these brushes are going to perform and he's not guaranteeing anything like they're going to automatically make you a better painter or last 6 months longer than your typical synthetics. He's just claiming that they look good, he's going to personally quality check them before they go out and he's selling them for less than big miniature companies are selling their branded brushes for. When people receive them and they behave exactly like all of their other synthetics do, you'll have some people convincing themselves that they're better and some people who'll admit that they're not really different but they like the look of them and the price point. Then you'll have some people angry and all he has to do is say, well, you didn't use proper brush care or you were too rough on them or I didn't promise that they would perform any better and his project page will back him up because he didn't make those promises.

Incidentally, the cheap synthetic brushes that I typically use, which I bought in big packs from....probably Blick, have white nylon bristles and not only do they eventually hook just like every other synthetic brush, but they also stain ridiculously easy and that has nothing to do with brush care. It's just the nature of the beast when you're dealing with something white that you're dipping into pigments.

• Like 8

I’m just going to leave this here. I’ve underlined the relevant point that may be why some folks are upset by this kickstarter.

Copied and pasted from Kickstarters Why Would A Kickstarter Be Suspended page.

A project may be suspended if our Integrity team uncovers evidence that it is in violation of Kickstarter's rules, including:

• Misrepresentation of support, through self-pledging.
  • Misrepresentation or failure to disclose relevant facts about the project or its creator.
  • The creator provides inaccurate or incomplete user information to Kickstarter or one of our partners.
  • The characteristics of the creator account overlap with the characteristics of backer accounts that pledged to their project.
  • A party related to the creator is posing as an independent, supportive party in project comments or elsewhere.
  • The creator is presenting someone else’s work as their own.
  • The creator is offering purchased items, claiming to have made them.
  • The creator or an affiliated service is spamming potential backers with promotional materials.
  • The creator is repackaging a previously-created product, without adding anything new or aiming to iterate on the idea in any way.
  • The creator has outstanding fulfillment issues related to a previously successful crowdfunding campaign “
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Fair point @Darsc Zacal, and thank you for the insight on why some people are angry... but by the same vein then there are a lot of projects listed in this very forum that should be suspended as well. Any time someone puts up a project for dice, for instance, where often the only difference is that they're some particular colour, sometimes with a symbol or word printed on them... There's no definitive proof that this is what he's done, though I think it's very likely to be the case. But then you have to get into the semantics of what actually constitutes a repackaged product. Is it enough that he made an order to a manufacturer with the specifications that he wanted white nylon, aluminum ferrules, white handles and his logo? What's an acceptable change from the norm? Does that rule exist to prevent people from taking, for instance, an As Seen On TV product and putting it in a new box? That would literally be repackaging a product. But does customization of a thing that already exists in the world count? I don't personally know. But I do know that if I felt so certain that it was not acceptable, especially to the point that I was offended and angry by the existence of the project, I'd report it to Kickstarter for them to review their own standards and move on. I think that's far more constructive than spending a bunch of time telling people in the comments that they're idiots who are letting themselves get duped.

I just don't see this as being the same level as a project that has a bunch of red flags that the creator's going to take the money and run or clear IP violations and things of that sort. But that's just my personal opinion. Either way, I'm not backing the project and I wouldn't recommend it to other people. I'm just personally not offended by it and I can understand why the backers might find it attractive, that's all. 

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 5