GHOST Brush: A Paintbrush Set For Miniature Painters

Rotiahn

8 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

but by the same vein then there are a lot of projects listed in this very forum that should be suspended as well

If it’s an existing product that the project creator is simply ordering from what the manufacturer is already manufacturing than yes, you’re correct. And there’s been several dice kickstarters and brush kickstarters that have been suspended for that very reason.

However if you approach an existing dice/brush/paint manufacturer with your own idea, using a new or different plastic, a new material, your own recipe, something beyond merely rebranding an existing product, then that is a new product even if someone else is making it for you.

• Like 5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not arguing that the project should or shouldn't be suspended, I'm just saying that there is not your very specific clear definition provided by Kickstarter, therefore the best thing that a user can do if they suspect that the more vague guideline that is provided is being violated, is to report it and let Kickstarter sort it out using whatever internal definition they're using. Especially since, again, there's no definitive proof that this is what he's done just because he hasn't blatantly stated otherwise but again, I do think it's very likely what he's done. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

...Surprise, people selling things purchase their goods for cheap, put their name on it and then sell it at a big markup to make a profit. That's nothing new. I find it amusing that he's calling out big companies for it at the same time....

- I think there is an issue here, because this is how he is posturing.  He presents 'big company' markups as if they were malicious money grabs, when in reality, he saw what was going on and figured he could do it too.

- The quality that he seems to claim for his brushes is that they are cheaper than similar brushes, but the comparable brushes that you can currently purchase are quite a bit cheaper than his (and not have to wait six months for Kickstarter fulfillment).  That takes away any reason I could see to support this KS.

- I wonder about Kickstarter rules.  I mean, he is really only adding his brand name to brushes that are already being manufactured and sold.  Possibly adding the name "Ghost" makes it unique enough to Kickstart, but the KS rules seem to indicate that adding your brand label doesn't make it 'new and unique' enough.  I figure it is best to report him and let the KS investigators decide where this falls under the rules.

On the other hand, the potato salad was new and unique enough, so who knows?

- I do think it is weird that people are defending the quality of these brushes with claims that the KS creator isn't really making.  He just promised cheap, and that's kind of the only point people have argued, and in my mind, disproved.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, odinsgrandson said:

I mean, he is really only adding his brand name to brushes that are already being manufactured and sold. 

I'm wondering if he has a combination of materials that is not normally found?  Kind of a pickles and ice cream thing - as in, you can buy pickles, and you can buy ice cream, but buying pickle flavored ice cream is pretty hard to do. 

TBH, I don't know enough about all the brushes that are readily available, but perhaps he has ordered a combination that is doing something like using improved glue, or a brush handle material that is normally found on more expensive brushes?  That would make his brushes something more than just a simple rebranding, but also not something that would require a ton of R&D

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I'm wondering if he has a combination of materials that is not normally found?  Kind of a pickles and ice cream thing - as in, you can buy pickles, and you can buy ice cream, but buying pickle flavored ice cream is pretty hard to do. 

TBH, I don't know enough about all the brushes that are readily available, but perhaps he has ordered a combination that is doing something like using improved glue, or a brush handle material that is normally found on more expensive brushes?  That would make his brushes something more than just a simple rebranding, but also not something that would require a ton of R&D

I just think if that were the case he would have mentioned it on the campaign page.  But he makes no mention of his product being unique other than white bristles which isn't unique.  I guess he could just be a bad salesman though. 

• Like 3

• Members

The WAMP brushes were WAMP labeled Rosemary & Co brushes..  I don't really have a problem with that.. if Wappel got a craft brush company to slap his name on some brushes with a 20% mark up and people wanted to buy those (Even though James would tell you to just buy the unbranded ones) I don't have a problem with it.. passing them off as something they are not, thats another story

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

The WAMP brushes were WAMP labeled Rosemary & Co brushes..  I don't really have a problem with that.. if Wappel got a craft brush company to slap his name on some brushes with a 20% mark up and people wanted to buy those (Even though James would tell you to just buy the unbranded ones) I don't have a problem with it.. passing them off as something they are not, thats another story

Were those brushes already existing R&C brushes, or did WAMP commission them to produce certain specification brushes with their brand? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

What I really don't understand are the backers in the comments going out of their way to defend the quality of brushes that they've never used nor held in their hands.

Easier than to admit they've been taken.

See also: Confrontation.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

Easier than to admit they've been taken.

See also: Confrontation.

Yep I think this is it 100%, if the creator can tell us how these are different from brushes I order online for 35p each I'll eat my words but I really don't think they are. I also suspect these are ordered via alibaba, as I speculated on in earlier comments, I didnt know that was against KS' terms though, that is interesting. With 30 hours to go I'd be surprised if KS review it in time to suspend or whatever though, but I still sort of hope they do and then maybe those poor backers will look elsewhere and realise a 10pack of nylon brushes should cost less than a nice coffee.

• Like 2

I look at it from KS point of view:  Does it make money for KS?  does it directly step on IP that I could be sued for? could someone get hurt and sue KS for using the product? Is there a potential for a libel suit against KS?  If the answer is yes to the first and no to everything else, then KS is probably going to let it run.  They are there to make money.  They might support art or new business but in the end, the goal is profit, nothing else.

Its a jaded view, but if people are going to spend an extra 30-50% for a special name on a brush, the people running KS are not going to stop them. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

As far as I can tell in my scanning of the project page, he's not making any outlandish claims about how these brushes are going to perform and he's not guaranteeing anything like they're going to automatically make you a better painter or last 6 months longer than your typical synthetics. He's just claiming that they look good, he's going to personally quality check them before they go out and he's selling them for less than big miniature companies are selling their branded brushes for. When people receive them and they behave exactly like all of their other synthetics do, you'll have some people convincing themselves that they're better and some people who'll admit that they're not really different but they like the look of them and the price point. Then you'll have some people angry and all he has to do is say, well, you didn't use proper brush care or you were too rough on them or I didn't promise that they would perform any better and his project page will back him up because he didn't make those promises.

He may have over stretched himself there with 1200+ backer and 2 sets per backer with 8 brushes per set that is checking over 19,000 brushes!  I doubt the QC will be that great if he is checking probably 20,000 brushes by the end of this and trying to meet a deadline.

From the Kickstarter:

This project has almost no risk because I am willing to fully fund the manufacturer to get these brushes made. This is what has allowed me to keep the goal much lower than total cost of the project.  

If I saw this on a project I was about to back this would be a huge red flag!  There is always a risk when investing your money in an "idea" (I think you know why I put idea in quotations).  Plus him being able to cover the cost of manufacturing might give a good indication on how much these brushes really cost.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

From the Kickstarter:

This project has almost no risk because I am willing to fully fund the manufacturer to get these brushes made. This is what has allowed me to keep the goal much lower than total cost of the project.  

If I saw this on a project I was about to back this would be a huge red flag!  There is always a risk when investing your money in an "idea" (I think you know why I put idea in quotations).  Plus him being able to cover the cost of manufacturing might give a good indication on how much these brushes really cost.   

I'd be more concerned about the shipping fulfillment and handling of issues after delivery more than getting them made. Over-funding has a way of crushing the in-experienced on KS, but a small success may lead to actual improvement in the next project if he's looking to create a brand for himself. Nothing screams scam, despite the constant efforts of that one guy in the KS comments to convince everyone of how bad the creator is, but red flags should always be watched closely.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

I just think if that were the case he would have mentioned it on the campaign page.

Or in the comments where he's had every opportunity to address the person accusing him very vocally's concerns, but instead he's just all "*shrug* I guess he doesn't like that the brushes say "China" on them." He even commented in response to you in the comments that had he seen our conversation here sooner he would've joined in....apparently he needs more than 40 hours left in his campaign (at the time of that comment) to be able to make a post or two about his own project. Then the only thing he directly addressed was the brush sizes.

I feel a little more on the negative side of ambivalent about his intentions as a result. If someone were screaming at me that I was scamming people by using something like Alibaba to supply 10 cent brushes with my name printed on them, and that's not what I was doing, I would respond and make it clear that I have not done that. Instead, he has very carefully side-stepped away from the accusations. He's opted instead for playing dumb. That makes me feel a lot less like he's being genuine and a lot more like he knows he can just wait it out and get his money.

I doubt the project will be taken down for the same reason that @Kangaroorex stated, but I don't think I need to wait for fulfillment of this project to clearly know not to support anything else this creator puts out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi I am the Brendan guy on those comments.  

If I used scam in messages, I guess I mispoke.  I was quite triggered by the KS when I stumbled on it.  I should of said he is taking advantage of people.  What got me was all the comments were from people looking to get into the hobby, one I really love and love encouraging people to get into.  This guy is paying less then 4$ a set from a chinese supplier.  He is gonna make a killing off this assuming he delivers.  If it was a half way decent project I would of moved on. But its not, he is pretending a set of nylon brushes are this great start into mini painting.  A size 3, 4, 5, and 6 brush?? 

Alot of you are to nice.  This guy isnt not dumb, he is taking advantage of people looking to get into this hobby.  If he did it off KS fine, but KS is for funding new idea and helping bring things to fruition.  This is not that.  He payed for a sample production of his ghost brushes, will collect money, will send some to china to have brushes that are always made the same way and shipped all over dipped in white paint and the word "ghost" pressed into them.  Imagine the people investing in these brushes and then paints, minis, who knows what else only to have them curl a few hours in.   

Anyways, just made this to air my position.  I am sure it didnt come across but I wanted to help/warn new painters.  Happy Painting.

Edit: Final thought, what makes me the most mad is how he repeatedly says he "designed" and my "design" if you are looking for deception find those post and words in his project.  He designed nothing.  I am to lazy to go back through Ali Baba but several suppliers offer the exact same design.

Edited by ThatGuy
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

Hi I am the Brendan guy on those comments. 

Thanks for chiming in here.

It bothers me too cause I don’t want to see a dozen more of these “creators” popping up on Kickstarter all selling the same thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1