Skeletal Minotaur

Cindy H

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Iridil, thank you.  Actually the patina was a bit of an experiment. I used a chipping fluid and it didn't uhh...chip.  Maybe it doesn't like metal?  So I went back and just put some more of the copper-y colors back over it.  

@Lord of the Dish, thank you!  The rust is easy with the sculpt since it has so many deep scratches sculpted right in :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cindy H said:

@Iridil, thank you.  Actually the patina was a bit of an experiment. I used a chipping fluid and it didn't uhh...chip.  Maybe it doesn't like metal?  So I went back and just put some more of the copper-y colors back over it.  

@Lord of the Dish, thank you!  The rust is easy with the sculpt since it has so many deep scratches sculpted right in :)

I love it!

Great job on all of it.

About the chipping medium. I have Vallejo Chipping Medium and at first I thought it didn't work, then someone pointed out that I was doing it wrong.

There are youtube clips about this topic as well.

Basically:

• Paint underlying colour let dry.
  • Apply the chipping medium let it dry for at least 30 minutes
  • Paint the top colour, let it dry for a bit, the chipping medium causes it to dry slowly so you can scratch it.
  • Use an old WET toothbrush or a WET toothpick to scratch.
  • Now it will work.

The key is water!

I forgot to wet the toothbrush and nothing happened.

Maybe this is useful to you!

• Thanks 2

@Glitterwolf thanks you!  That is incredibly useful to me!  I’m going to have to make a not for the next time I try it. Can’t thank you enough for posting that!  I painted up two at the same time and I only tried it on the one I’m keeping. The one in this image will be moving soon. 

Edited by Cindy H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cindy H said:

@Glitterwolf thanks you!  That is incredibly useful to me!  I’m going to have to make a not for the next time I try it. Can’t thank you enough for posting that!  I painted up two at the same time and I only tried it on the one I’m keeping. The one in this image will be moving soon. 

You're welcome!

Somebody helped me at the time, glad I can pass the knowledge on.

I recommend searching for stuff like this on youtube as well.

There are many tutorials useful to our hobby.

• Thanks 1

Oh my gosh, thank you Redd Knekk!  Wow.  That's quite a compliment.  Honestly,  I am not a planner in most of my coloring.  I knew I wanted red for the leather after I started getting closer to working on that part, just because of historical accuracy.  And the leather on the arms couldn't be the ivory or light stuff or it wouldn't have shown up so I took it more into the orange tones.  I am thrilled with how it came out, but mostly I feel like it was just a "happy accident"  :D

• Like 1