Sign in to follow this  
Scylla Models

Scylla Models – Bay Watchers

Good luck on your Kickstarter Scylla.

Just a couple heads ups on your post.

Direct links to retail sites are not allowed as per Reapers no commerce rule, so I’ve removed the link in question.

Some of your photos are skirting the forums no nudity rules. If any cross over the line they will be removed.

• Like 3

Wow, those definitely are...  Some...  Oh, I'll just say it....  Behind a spoiler.

Spoiler

These are very, VERY cheesecake poses.  Most seem way more interested in showcasing their cleavage or broccoli over actually looking like they know how to wield, let alone use the weaponry...  And most of that armour (what little there is) looks like it would chafe a great deal to even wear for a photoshoot, let alone actually use in combat...

• Like 5

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wow, those definitely are...  Some...  Oh, I'll just say it....  Behind a spoiler.

Hide contents

These are very, VERY cheesecake poses.  Most seem way more interested in showcasing their cleavage or broccoli over actually looking like they know how to wield, let alone use the weaponry...  And most of that armour (what little there is) looks like it would chafe a great deal to even wear for a photoshoot, let alone actually use in combat...

36 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Anybody remember the 80s movie "Heavy Metal"? (or was it late 70s) ... I think that was the time when female RPG characters were portrayed this way ... I have nothing against skin and ... female chests ... but those sculpts don't do much for me ... sorry.

Yeah I have to agree, I'm sure there is a market for these kinds of sculpts, but this isnt to my taste either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I like female minis....    

I particularly like 'awesome' female minis. 

Like the no nonsense half.orc in Oathsworn's HISS, or sensual dancers. I have most of Reaper's Sophie minis. I have anthros, I have Chibi, I have angels... Cleopatra and her court... Even classic pinup poses and some cheesecake can be found in my collection...   

But this level of cheese...  

I went all-in on your previous KS, but I think I'll skip this one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah. I like fantasy cheesecake as much as the next middle-aged nerdy gamer guy raised on AD&D 2e with all that Caldwell, Elmore and Parkinson art, and I don't mind risque, either. Hey, I went all in on Court of the Sultana because that looked excessively cheesy in a fun way (that flame priestess! those fan bearers!). Total perv, right?

But these, idk. They feel entirely too much like terrible Asian MMO "sexy" armor gone miniature for my taste, even though for some reason they don't wear the requisite stripper heel boots. And honestly, Worna looks like she's using that hammer mostly as an impromptu pole, leaning on it just to show off her T&A-ssets. I wouldn't consider these fun-cheesy or cute cheesecake, but a throwback to the more questionable of 70s/80s female "adventurer" miniatures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like sexy figures and have a fair bit of KD pinups that I love. These seem to be missing whatever element other pinup minis have that make them appealing. Character? Style? A story? I dunno, but something's missing.

Probably a bit of all of it.

Style is a big thing, obviously. I'm pretty sure there's a market for "Asian MMO style big boobs sexy armor", but I'm absolutely certain that I'm not the only one you'll lose if that's pretty much all a sculpt conveys. And, I can't say these do anything much else for me. It's probably the least important aspect, though; being good in the other two respects can salvage a lot.

Story, at least some kind of (implied) story, imo is what makes the best cheesecake cream of the crop. I very much notice this with KD, for example; the ones I like best are ones that trigger my imagination about the likely story behind the figure. The only one of these that do anything for me on this level is Tranan, but "well, she apparently spotted something that needs shooting" isn't particularly interesting, nor does it help explain the cheese.

Character. Now that can save a sculpt with the silliest armor (or lack thereof). Pose and/or face can convey a sense of playfulness, for example, that can be the difference between blatant sex sells and fun cheesecake. That's a key reason why Dark Sword's Elmore or Hasslefree's Dixon figs generally work. (Also, implied story, in many cases.)

I do see a hint of character  in Vallerya's face, and I think she would work for me in an aggressive "come hither, boy, you can't handle" pose, but not as is. The rest of them, idk, if there's anything much that conveys character, I don't really see it.  Except the hammer stripper pole thing, but that isn't actually helping.

• Like 1

If that elf prisoner has exposed breasts like it appears to potentially have, I'd recommend removing the picture from the post @Scylla Models.  Nudity in minis is not allowed to be directly posted here on the forums.

• Like 1

I don't think they're that bad. Marketed towards a certain crowd, most definitely, but so are chibi-style minis.

I probably wouldn't use them in a regular RPG game (unless the setting really fit them) but I'd totally paint these up just to sit on the shelf. Always need to work on flesh tones, these are certainly in that. And highlighting/shading, the um, orientation of the body on these would definitely make one think where they need to be placed given the atypical poses on some of them.

I love the fact that they're traditionally/hand-sculpted, the skill needed to do that has always impressed me.

Plus, I mean, they are called Bay Watchers... cheese is to be expected with a name like that. Please tell me a stretch goal for a Hasslehoff figure is planned!!

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 3

I can see that a lot of detail went into the sculpts and they have individual character.  However, they're a bit silly and not my style.  That little drake familiar is cute though.