Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Women in Horror 2019 : Gemma Files (Hasslefree)

I have an Hasslefree HFN002 "Louise" mini.  I intend to paint her up as author Gemma Files, to be added to a diorama complete by the end of February. Here is the  before pic.

20190118_094656.jpg

20190118_094718.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 15

I do love Hasslefree miniatures. Got a few of them myself over the holidays.

Forgive me, but I don't know who Gemma Files is! And reading her wikipedia page didn't help :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Forgive me, but I don't know who Gemma Files is! 

Well, then this will have already been a success. She's an excellent weird fiction author I know (published by a company I interned for a decade ago). I'm not sure what more information you would be looking for in a wiki?

• Like 2

I was trying to find out her more well-known works, or if anything had been adapted into something I might have seen. Wiki doesn't always give complete bibliographies with the popularity of the work, often just career highlights. Was hoping her entry might be a bit more on the fuller side.

Maybe I'll check one of her works out from the library.

Yesterday I washed and scrubbed but problems attaching the mini to a base meant redoing the above and at least a days delay. I may need to try this a third time or else just pin and do things the hard way. Annoying because I was hoping this would be simple and I could do it quickly and go back to the library.

Ugh. Going to be pinning into cardboard box material using gorilla glue. I hate being in a big city where supplies are not accessible. I am not looking forward to clipping the tab.

Glue works. Bottle doesn't  waiting for spill to dry so cats won't get stuck by being nosy. Will have to buy acetone tomorrow and hope it doesn't kill the mat.

Will have to vent tomorrow ( snow un window).

This is already the project from hell.

20190201_202811.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

It's not really an inappropriate feeling to have for this project. It's also frustration talking. So far nothing happened that couldn't get fixed.

I'm trying to think of what I should do for the ugly sweater? Tree of Despair?  Cephalopo (there are much cooler ones than what I spoiled below)? Evil Dead?

I'm finding these as examples. The think that sucks is that so much will be blocked in the front, and it might not be clear what the front is or beyond my ability. Also no idea what is on the back .

Spoiler

image.png.d96558dfc4daa0ca90f425bbdb739c2d.png

or

image.png.a449600098541d617fd3e315d9072e9d.png

or

image.png.2edbc882e20e101a5f9ff50cd4375c44.png

or even Elvira, though I don't know if Gemma Files was ever a fan image.png.5f31d8cb6620460a8e202889cd04a298.png

Here is my eye reference.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 7

I painted base skintones and realized there's a couple of weird metallic growths on her hands. I can't really do anything about them now, if I ever could, but it makes such a big difference. My paints are all dried up, which is annoying+

Based on a Facebook photo of a young Ms. Files, I'm going Evil Dead ugly sweater and burgundy skirt (black shoes and white socks).

I think I'll do a @Corporea black for the sweater base, which will allow me maybe a DARK grey for wool texture, and light greys for sweater stuff (luckily I have about 10 greys) and black for shadows.

• Like 3

More base coats. Knit texture is hard. Smallest brush available is 5/0.

Still need to do book base coat. Not sure about socks. Want to avoid private school look and white socks. Currently thinking adding fuschia stripes.

Obviously the evil dead sweater is going to be a PITA and will be pretty low detail. Mostly alluded to. I dont think it will be clear at all, but hey all the uglier!

20190203_104638.jpg

20190203_104803.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great pattern on the sweater.

It's seriously hard. I don't think it's particularly a good job, but I also don't think I could do much better at the moment. I tried cross hatching which looked awful so I painted over it. This was less awful.

Anybody have thoughts on socks?

• Like 1