Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

17 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

What about a fork? knife? Spork? Spatula?

I can neither confirm nor deny the occurance of other forms of stab wounds :blues:

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

So i'm thinking of buying cast iron pans for everyday cooking. They have a decent set on amazon. 

Also, I'm super jealous of the snow you all are getting. :( I would be nice to see some real snow around here. (Alabama)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, NomadZeke said:

Coffee machines now completely absent at work. I hope they're working on replacing them. It's socially acceptable to just bring the whole pot from home and drink straight out of it, right?

I mean.... yeah. I transfer mine to a thermos, but that's cause I don't want to break the pot or spill any on the way. 

6 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

So i'm thinking of buying cast iron pans for everyday cooking. They have a decent set on amazon. 

Also, I'm super jealous of the snow you all are getting. :( I would be nice to see some real snow around here. (Alabama)

Do it!!

Yumm... banana pumpkin waffles for breakfast! :wub: Sometimes I can make some really yummy food... 

• Like 8

I have come to an important conclusion: slush is the devil's invention.

11 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

A) cast iron is amazeballs if you care for it properly and don't have weak wrists. 

B) snow begets slush; slush is the work of the devil.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, redambrosia said:

A) cast iron is amazeballs if you care for it properly and don't have weak wrists. 

Yeah, I keep reading about how "non-stick" stuff is not really good for you and I've been wanting to do it well before I read that.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Arc 724 said:

Yeah, I keep reading about how "non-stick" stuff is not really good for you and I've been wanting to do it well before I read that.

Ceramic can also be good "non-stick" dishware. And as long as your glaze isn't made of uranium, it's as good as cast iron.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

There's an option to have the pilot in the center torso (heaviest armored part of the mech) in battletech. Just is not often taken because it means sitting directly above the reactor and having less stabilization. Also more susceptible to getting cooked alive if you overheat the mech.

I think you may also like Patlabor mechs. they tend to put the pilot in the thickest part of the torso with the head just to mount sensors.

That overheating problem is not exactly a selling point, either...

I lost any potential interest in Patlabor with an episode where the plot was how to get past a low bridge. <_< Too low to go under, to high to go over - so they grabbed onto a passing blimp, if I recall properly.

Yes, siree Bob! Mechs are a great design. Only design better are AT-ATs!

Megan was still asleep when I headed out this morning.

She was up late last night, working on her game.

Me, I petered out around 10 or so, after finishing up on the game for tomorrow.

The Auld Grump - tonight, we get back into the Cronewood. Last game, my mount was stalking one of the other PCs. No one expects a horse to have a Sneak skill....

11 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Wow I am annoyed with myself.

I went looking for Relic Knight pictures, and realized that I could use her as a sorcerer riding a warforged. :blink:

51-MHUUJXuL.jpg

I painted her up for a commission once - when Soda Pop was new.

Not a bad kit, even if the figure itself is kind of silly.

More of a Magus than a Sorcerer, if I am remembering properly - she did have some armor. Just not much.

The Auld Grump - I'm having a hard time picturing Julie's White Necromancer riding on one of our Juggernauts.... But an easy time picturing Jen's dwarf gunslinger.

11 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I just found out that Grumpy has had Baldur's Gate on Gog for longer than we have been married.

And never told me.

I LOVED that game, and he knew it.

He just thought I somehow magically knew that I could download it anytime I liked, so didn't think to TELL ME!

He did the same thing with the Eberron books.

Just because I CAN look at what he has on those sites doesn't mean that I HAVE!

He has almost all the old D&D CRPGs. BG, BG 2, IWD, IWD2.

And of course the internet is being an anal polyp tonight, and. Downloading. Very. Slowly.

I just hope they live up to my memory. I was pretty young when I played them.

I also have a bunch of the ancient Gold Box D&D games on GoG.

But I would swear that I tried to steer you at my account there, way back before we were even married.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

One of the great things about cast iron skillets - with cast iron handles: They can be used in the oven as well as the stove top.

Make sure you season it properly - and wipe it out to clean, not scrub it with soap and water.

Cornbread from a cast iron skillet is wonderful.

The Auld Grump

28 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Depends on your age.

Brigid is at an age where she hates snow.

But slush, while she is wearing her big stompy boots? ::D: She is in heaven, but don't stand too close. Her aim... both with slush and boots... leaves a bit to be desired. ::P: 

On my side - Slush is the work of Phil: Prince of Inadequate Lighting. Sleet and freezing rain? Those are the work of the devil.

The Auld Grump - cast iron cookware helps you develop strong wrists!

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

One of the great things about cast iron skillets - with cast iron handles: They can be used in the oven as well as the stove top.

Make sure you season it properly - and wipe it out to clean, not scrub it with soap and water.

Cornbread from a cast iron skillet is wonderful.

I'll be honest, I've heard about seasoning the pan but I don't know what that means. I need to look it up. I just ordered the pans. :) 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

I'll be honest, I've heard about seasoning the pan but I don't know what that means. I need to look it up. I just ordered the pans. :) 

Either fill it with oil or coat it liberally with oil, then bake it. Or cook it, if you don't have a cast iron handle. Then wipe out the excess oil with a paper towel or clean cloth. The goal is to get a smooth finish, so the food just slides off. Lodge cookware is the most common brand of new cast iron, and they require minimal seasoning when new.

And as grump said, you don't want to wash it with soap and water. If you do it right you can just wipe it down, maybe put a new coat of oil in and wipe up the excess with a paper towel.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Either fill it with oil or coat it liberally with oil, then bake it. Or cook it, if you don't have a cast iron handle. Then wipe out the excess oil with a paper towel or clean cloth. The goal is to get a smooth finish, so the food just slides off. Lodge cookware is the most common brand of new cast iron, and they require minimal seasoning when new.

And as grump said, you don't want to wash it with soap and water. If you do it right you can just wipe it down, maybe put a new coat of oil in and wipe up the excess with a paper towel.

GOOD DEAL! How often should I season them? The ones I just ordered have cast iron handles too.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Arc 724 said:

I love my cast iron skillet. It works for all kinds of things!

Do not wish for snow. Snow is the commute killer.

• Like 8

I have a cast iron grill pan that I love, but actually prefer the enameled cast iron dutch oven that I have as well.. Would *love* to replace all of my cookware with enameled cast iron, but the cost is pretty prohibitive.. 

I did a bunch of reading a while back about cast iron and it's enameled cousins - my understanding is that you want US or European made as the Cast Iron stuff coming out of China has serious quality issues - the typical complaint I have read is that they are very fragile.

Properly cared for, cast iron can last generations.. my mom (in her 70's now) has a dutch oven that her grandmother used when her family was settling the Big Horn basin in Wyoming!  There are several others in mom's camper, but 'grandmas dutch oven' is still her favorite.. 

• Like 6

Cornbread in a cast iron skillet is the only way to go! Just remember, sugar goes in the iced tea, NOT the cornbread!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Cornbread in a cast iron skillet is the only way to go! Just remember, sugar goes in the iced tea, NOT the cornbread!

I've made Alton Brown's pineapple upsidedown cake in a skillet (more a cornbread style) and it was good.

• Like 7