Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

14 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

I've made Alton Brown's pineapple upsidedown cake in a skillet (more a cornbread style) and it was good.

Oh that sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion, gonna have to try that!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

So i'm thinking of buying cast iron pans for everyday cooking. They have a decent set on amazon.

27 minutes ago, eldamir said:

I have a cast iron grill pan that I love, but actually prefer the enameled cast iron dutch oven that I have as well.. Would *love* to replace all of my cookware with enameled cast iron, but the cost is pretty prohibitive.

Yes!! I have pretty much abandoned my cast iron skillet after receiving an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas. It's amazing and I can sear so much meat all at once on the stove and then put it in the oven to finish cooking!

With all that seasoning stuff - I like how for cleaning, Alton Brown uses coarse salt to scrub food bits off.

• Like 11

Another fan of cast iron here. Cooked most of my life with it. The wife never got the hang of it and didn't like how heavy they were so my pans are at the farm and only get used a little bit. My biggest problem was trying to keep the women from cleaning them "good". One cleaning and it'd take me awhile to get them back to not sticking.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

This is why I have a fondness for 'mechs with digitigrade legs. Way easier to disappear into the landscape. Or the nearest Giant Heat Sink (also known as large body of water). 

Them man-shaped things is just silly. <.<

That having been said, I would like a game in the setting with less emphasis on the giant stompy 'bots, plz. :/

CAV parts are easy, nay trivial, to convert into starships, frex:

Kurra Diriga class Battleship by Spielorjh

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

CAV parts are easy, nay trivial, to convert into starships, frex:

Kurra Diriga class Battleship by Spielorjh

Oooooooooooooo.... shiny!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

...why does that mecha have leg boobs?

I googled the game yesterday and had the exact same reaction.. lol

• Like 6

4 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

Coffee machines now completely absent at work. I hope they're working on replacing them. It's socially acceptable to just bring the whole pot from home and drink straight out of it, right?

The last resturant I worked at in Austin did not serve coffee. (BLASPHEMY!)

So I hauled in one of my Mr. Coffees and set it up in the dish pit. During the evening rush, after the coffee had cooled somewhat, I often resorted to chugging straight from the pot. This earned me more than a few troubled glances. 

So to answer your question, it may or may not be "acceptable" depending on what "society" you keep, but it brings a grin to the Coffee God's face.

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I made it through the night without stabbing anyone with a spoon.

Congratulations. Have you thought about beating them with a cast iron skillet? 

15 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

To distract the enemy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Coffee machines now completely absent at work. I hope they're working on replacing them. It's socially acceptable to just bring the whole pot from home and drink straight out of it, right?

Whuuuuh?  What kind of evil corporation doesn't fix the machines, then pulls them...  And doesn't have a substitute in place while they're down? 

... We always have like six machines up for a reason..  Higher ups claim its to demo to customers, but we know the real reason.  We like shiny new machines, like the new omg shiiiiny machine we have in the back lunch room right now.  It isn't the $15k shiny we had there last time (a beta machine from Bunn I think), but the new machine we're coming out with is niiiiiice.  I'd list its name, but I can't find any official info on it being released yet, so I'm not going to say anything about its name. 

But yeah.  Whole bean commercial at work.  Sure, it isn't the best coffee in the world, but it sure makes a nice cup... 

.... But I work for a coffee company.  We have three Keurig K3000's plugged and plumbed in in our lunch room(s), plus two Excellenza Touches, plus a few other things (Bunn thermal brewers come to mind, as well as ION water coolers).  Only time you can't get a cup of coffee here at work is uhm, well, when power is out. 

• Like 8

We had a soda machine & coffee machine (the one with the poker cups) in our breakroom when I first started. They took em both out many years ago & never did replace either one. The breakroom is lucky to even have space in there as people have a tendacy to throw whatever they feel like in there. (u-boats with junk on them, Toys for Tots donation boxes left over from last Christmas, etc etc). I only use the breakroom, maybe 1 or twice per week & even then it's only for about 5 to 10 at a time.

29 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Pretty sure the mecha is suppose to be a ship & those are the mastheads. I use to be into Soda Pop's offerings but those days are long gone so I may be wrong on that part

• Like 5

The breakrooms at work have been blissfully quiet.

We didn't pay our cable bill during the shutdown and the TVs are still off. I haven't had to listen to CNN at grandma's-hearing-aid-broke-again levels for weeks now. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NebulousMissy said:

The breakrooms at work have been blissfully quiet.

We didn't pay our cable bill during the shutdown and the TVs are still off. I haven't had to listen to CNN at grandma's-hearing-aid-broke-again levels for weeks now. 

One of the benefits of the shutdown at work at least!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Within 30 minutes I'd have the place turned into Lord of the Flies, only without any of the redeeming parts.  By four o'clock I would be the supreme all-holy emperor of the office, holding court in the smoking ruins of the break room wearing only my underpants and the red bones of my enemies.  There dissenters would be tried for stealing staplers and tape rolls, and then sacrificed to the idol we built from the mop and bucket closet.  

ALL HAIL MOPLOR, EATER OF SOULS

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

3 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Within 30 minutes I'd have the place turned into Lord of the Flies, only without any of the redeeming parts.  By four o'clock I would be the supreme all-holy emperor of the office, holding court in the smoking ruins of the break room wearing only my underpants and the red bones of my enemies.  There dissenters would be tried for stealing staplers and tape rolls, and then sacrificed to the idol we built from the mop and bucket closet.  

ALL HAIL MOPLOR, EATER OF SOULS

MOPLOR? Have you by chance heard of Frietters the Mop God, Bestower of Janitorial Rage? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10