Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

It does?? :blink: <redacted> :grr:

Too many editions in my head...

Coffee, brew faster!

Yup. They got rid of the "nope, doesn't work on X" crap because it was making rogues useless in a lot of fights. It's part and parcel to why they got rid of critical hit immunity. If you look at the monster stats for 5e, none of the old monsters that were immune to crits, like constructs, undead, and oozes, say they're immune to crits anymore. That immunity, and sneak attack damage in 3.x being tied to the ability to be critically hit, was something that really crippled rogues in combat.

Now, any time you get advantage on your attacks or you have an ally within 5 feet of your target you get the sneak attack damage for the first one that hits each round. The relevant wording is "Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the roll." PHB page 96.

Now, granted, if your DM took away your finesse weapons you're still screwed for sneak attack outside of ranged attacks. But it's way, way better than it was in the past where an enemy just had to put their back to a wall to turn the rogue in the party into a piss-poor fighter with no HP.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I hate it when I get a clean shirt and imediately spill food on it. And it's even worse right now, with my big ol' belly catching everything! 

I can't I eat like a tidy person :wacko: I try so hard ::(:

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Sophie was taken said:

Been away too long, how’s everyone?

Welcome back!

Most of us are: awaiting Bones IV, drinking coffee/tea, eating Bacon, loving or hating licorice, trying to sing, stuck at work, annoyed or happy with our fellow humans, happy with our pets.

Few of us are very rarely even painting minis.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Yup. They got rid of the "nope, doesn't work on X" crap because it was making rogues useless in a lot of fights. It's part and parcel to why they got rid of critical hit immunity. If you look at the monster stats for 5e, none of the old monsters that were immune to crits, like constructs, undead, and oozes, say they're immune to crits anymore. That immunity, and sneak attack damage in 3.x being tied to the ability to be critically hit, was something that really crippled rogues in combat.

Now, any time you get advantage on your attacks or you have an ally within 5 feet of your target you get the sneak attack damage for the first one that hits each round. The relevant wording is "Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the roll." PHB page 96.

Now, granted, if your DM took away your finesse weapons you're still screwed for sneak attack outside of ranged attacks. But it's way, way better than it was in the past where an enemy just had to put their back to a wall to turn the rogue in the party into a piss-poor fighter with no HP.

Yeah, I only just got a finesse weapon back in my characters hands.

Coffee!!!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Tempting as it is, it just isn't a hobby that I have ever gotten into.  Too much space requirements and not enough to do after the board is complete. 

Have you looked into T-Trak at all?  Modular N-Scale layouts.  

That's what I'm building. 

7 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Pshaw, that's nothing compared to the Eyre Highway across the Nullabor Plain...

There's one part of it signposted as the 90 Mile Straight - no bends at all for 146.6km (91.1 miles)...

I've driven both the Eyre and US 50 in NV. 

Eyre wins hand down as most desolate highway. 

I agree that stretch of US50 is the most desolate in the US, but there are lots of similar stretches in Western Australia that don't even get mentioned, like the stretch between Carnarvon and Exmouth. 

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I can't I eat like a tidy person :wacko: I try so hard ::(:

I'm pretty sure there are fewer people who can than those who can't. 

• Like 8

Happy National Pet Day (and happy Thursday for those in a different nation)!

Here's my menagerie...

Maurice, Moggy, and Franklin

20190411_093800.jpg.3aec68127acd148f9943ae04df0fd5d4.jpg

Benny

20171107_162705.thumb.jpg.e83ad2c2e87562bf1763fd28962e8218.jpg

Jane, AKA The Best Dog Ever.

20171214_185237.thumb.jpg.7a6015b46695f9d1942b54dc4de40dda.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome back!

Most of us are: awaiting Bones IV, drinking coffee/tea, eating Bacon, loving or hating licorice, trying to sing, stuck at work, annoyed or happy with our fellow humans, happy with our pets.

Few of us are very rarely even painting minis.

That's an all inclusive summary :lol:

• Like 9

Client yesterday afternoon: "Can you write an article based on some notes I give you?"
Me: "Probably"
Client "I need it by Friday"
Me: "OK, I'll need your notes this evening and have to work on it exclusively tomorrow morning to have it done in time."
Client: "OK, I'll get those to you soon"

And here we are well into my workday, and no notes from my client.  His prospects of getting his article on time are diminishing greatly, while the chances of him getting charged a rush fee rises steadily. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Errr, yea. I am in wave 14.  lets not get too showy about when you get your goodies before the 4th of July and I'm still waiting.  about the only positive i have is that the LOD stuff should all be in by the time they finally get around to filling my order.  I havent even bothered to keep track of where they are.

On the good side of life i might, just might not have to work this weekend!  I hope I never have to do that again.  30 days without a break.  (now 35 days with 1 day off) but the initial estimate for getting us back on stream and recovering our business systems from our cyber attack was 3 months and we did it in 1, without missing a customer shipment in the process!

Nice looking train!  Biggest brass model my father ever had was a 2-8-8-2.  He never painted them though. 

Tempting as it is, it just isn't a hobby that I have ever gotten into.  Too much space requirements and not enough to do after the board is complete. 

Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy the new train!  My only remaining pieces of my father's collection is a pair of Hubinger starch boxcars my father found while I was working for the plant (which by that point had been sold twice and is now owned by the French!)  Still kind of cool to have the plant you worked for on the side of a period box cars from the age of steam!)   The plant has been in continuous operation since 1881

A couple of weeks ago I saw that somebody in my area was throwing out a rather beautiful train layout. Or at least it used to be - they tore it into chunks to get it out. ::o:

No sign of the trains.

The Auld Grump

• Sad 12

Back from my trip to New Orleans. Good food, cool architecture, interesting people. The food and history tour was great, guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Ghost tour guide was neither of those things. I like Royal Street more than Bourbon Street.

• Like 11

The Gang of Five has met with both the Chief Medical Examiner and his beautiful(?) assistant. (Six feet of gangly half-elf, with a powder pouf of frizzie hair.)

And her orc skeleton assistant - who is amazingly laid back about being dead.

She wants to solve his murder so he can rest, but he's not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. He was dead for fifteen years before they even found his bones.

She showed up, and he got up. He made a lot of mistakes when alive, and now he has a chance to fix them - which he thinks is a lot more important than who killed him.

A nice, simple murder... Not often that you can interview the decedent....

The PCs are getting the job because there is, as yet, no Detectives Bureau - the PCs will become that Bureau, after a year on the beat. (And why the Beholder is gathering people. Having a professional police force is his baby.)

Tonight it is back to the smaller group.

The Auld Grump

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hmm.

When one's clothes washer starts acting funny and won't start, it is not exactly encouraging that as soon as one Googles it the words "ill-fated" come up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 12