Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

The “sharkmouth” manticores are mostly based on a seventeenth century engraving.

The word is Persian and means “man-eater.” Best guess is it originally referred to tigers. 

It’s actually “maRticore,” but one of those ancient Greek naturalists miswrote it in their book and ever since it’s been spelled and pronounced wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

20 hours ago, Pingo said:

The “sharkmouth” manticores are mostly based on a seventeenth century engraving.

The word is Persian and means “man-eater.” Best guess is it originally referred to tigers. 

It’s actually “maRticore,” but one of those ancient Greek naturalists miswrote it in their book and ever since it’s been spelled and pronounced wrong.

You're telling me these beasts didn't actually exist? 

Aaawwww...:down:

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Pingo said:

From India, Bright Red, Man-Eater...

That does make sense. I wonder how the scorpion tail+poisonous spikes part ever  got added to the mix. 

3d1a210db3fb9be26863bc732ee2ad5b.jpg

Xanthian ManticoreBright Red, Ape-face syndrome, Scorporific tail, Bat wings with furry texture, Rock Star lion’s mane with a widow’s Peak, and long pointy Elf Ears (unless those are horns :unsure: ).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF ALERT!!!

M.E.O.W. has deployed Beserkers!!!!

image.png.040ba7c041fd37f73e03fd09eec0060f.png

I have a cat who would do this. Probably more than once. My dogs and both of the other cats are terrified of him. Berserker is an apt description. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF ALERT!!!

M.E.O.W. has deployed Beserkers!!!!

image.png.040ba7c041fd37f73e03fd09eec0060f.png

It is probably ^ Special Operator ^ training. M*E*O*W may be gearing up to conduct a reprisal operation for this raid:

David%20Petersen%20Mouse%20Guard%20Playe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

17 hours ago, redambrosia said:

She sleeps at all the wrong times though, and wakes up if she's not in top of us. It makes getting any sleep for ourselves very difficult. 

Also, she's a hungry little piggy. A slobby, slobby piggy.

So perfectly normal then. ::D:

This morning at work was answering a slew of emails and phone calls that all essentially complained "why haven't you done X", to which the answer to every one of them was basically "you/they haven't paid for X, I notified you/they of the cost and provided an invoice on date." 

This is typical for the day after the national car wash trade show, which ended yesterday. 

Next weeks challenges will be "I was told at the trade show that you would do X for me this week" - and for 90% of them, it will be the first I've heard of it and rely on engineering providing me with whatever I need to do X. 

I don't miss going to the trade shows any more, but at least when i went, I could keep better tabs on what was promised to whom. 

• Like 9

Theatre performance done! It was really hectic but so fun to do and I think I did rather well. It was nice watching the other groups perform as well, so much talent and so much positivity. Made some tea too and had some more tea with a friend after the performances. (And toast!) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lord_Ashenwyte said:

Theatre performance done! It was really hectic but so fun to do and I think I did rather well. It was nice watching the other groups perform as well, so much talent and so much positivity. Made some tea too and had some more tea with a friend after the performances. (And toast!) 

Congrats!

• Like 6

Just now, OneBoot said:

I ordered business cards today! With my official new PurpleCat Painting logo and everything! They will be both shiny and purple (of course). :bday:

I'm both super excited and kind of weirded out about this, lol. Also realized I have until I leave for PaizoCon to dump a boatload of pics of my past works onto my Instagram painting account, since there's nothing there yet, and it would be rather embarrassing to be sending people to an empty page. I r sooper prefishenul! :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Oneboot, Supervillain at your service?

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, TGP said:

What’s Wyn Wyn?

Web Airbrushes.

Though it is probably better to wait for Badger to do their birthday sale - excellent airbrushes from Badger.

The Auld Grump

17 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Wow, talk about an Eater of Time. I just found the Lost Minis Wiki. http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I was looking for ONE mini, and now it has devoured my soul. :blink:

I have had the same thing happen with Stuff of Legends. :lol:(Starting way back - when they were a .EDU site. ::): )

The Auld Grump

• Like 6