Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Search for purplecatpainting and it should come up. The only thing there right now is a picture of my face, lol. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Is it painted? :huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Apparently it helps alleviate certain symptoms related to migraines and motion sickness.

I have also been told to eat more salt.

Caffeine is one of the few OTC medicines approved by the FDA specifically for migraine pain. There's a reason your high price OTC migraine meds are just standard painkiller + 60mg caffeine. It's much maligned because the major symptom of caffeine withdrawal is migraines. I recommend staying away from the big brand coffee shops, their coffees blow straight past the 'medicinal' doses and into the 'hallucinogenic' doses. A tasty drip coffee might be a good idea.

Low blood sodium is not uncommon but it's also not taken seriously. The symptoms of low sodium (headache, dizziness, drowsiness, brain fog, nausea) are annoyingly vague but also easy to treat because medicinal french fries are difficult to turn down. I use medicinal ramen because of a genetic issue (I own kidneys, they work too well). It's good that your doctor is checking the easy-to-treat and not-taken-seriously problems first.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Medicinal French fries... :lol:

Leaving work a little early so I can go work a shift at the coop... At least its a beautiful day! Walking should be really pleasant. 

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Two of my doctors have told me to take up coffee, real coffee with caffeine.

Taking this into account. I imagine the pacing of your next painting video will be... interesting.

This week's theme: "Mixing paints and doing eyes after a double espresso."

• Haha 14

You guys know hat they have caffeinated chewing gum in Japan?   

Lotte's BlackBlack.. 

(I have a box on a shelf for those days... )

Going to head to bed early tonight. (11pm is early for me)

Have to get up early to hand the flag, fix a good breakfast an be ready before the TV at 8am...    

May 17th and all that you know. 

(Norway's constitution day)   

There will be parades and fun.   

Our national broadcaster will be streaming all day, starting at 7:50am (GMT+1), about 2 -3am or so in the USA?  

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/gratulerer-med-dagen/2019/MUHU15000119

Fun fact, we have children marching in our parades, not soldiers.

(We make an exception for the HMKG drill corps, of course)   

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

I’m starting small, half a cup in a big mug of hot cocoa, good and early so I can sleep tonight.

Espresso shots in hot cocoa! ::D:

I need to try that!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:
5 hours ago, Pingo said:

I’m starting small, half a cup in a big mug of hot cocoa, good and early so I can sleep tonight.

Espresso shots in hot cocoa! ::D:

I need to try that!

Espresso in chocolate is a winning combination - put a little espresso powder in your brownie mix. NOMNOMNOM!

Makes 'em really chocolaty.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Medicinal French fries... :lol:

Leaving work a little early so I can go work a shift at the coop... At least its a beautiful day! Walking should be really pleasant. 

Looks like this will be an easy shift. Half an hour in and no walking yet...

• Like 6

Batwoman! Wooo! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

The “sharkmouth” manticores are mostly based on a seventeenth century engraving.

The word is Persian and means “man-eater.” Best guess is it originally referred to tigers. 

It’s actually “maRticore,” but one of those ancient Greek naturalists miswrote it in their book and ever since it’s been spelled and pronounced wrong.

When I mentioned the shark-like mouth I was meaning the three rows of teeth, because sharks are just about the only animals I know of that actually have multiple rows of teeth like that. Which is probably the same reason that the person doing that engraving depicted a shark mouth. Because if the manticore has 3 rows of teeth, then their mouth must surely be like a shark's, which also has 3 rows of teeth, right?

What I want to know is who decided that angels were beautiful humans with wings? If I remember correctly, the mentions of angels describe them as either weird concepts or horrific nightmare beings. Like a series of wheels all merging and rolling inside of each other, or a bunch of animals that are stuck together and on fire.

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You guys know hat they have caffeinated chewing gum in Japan?   

Lotte's BlackBlack.. 

(I have a box on a shelf for those days... )

In the US we have caffeinated everything. Including soap.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

Apparently it helps alleviate certain symptoms related to migraines and motion sickness.

I also had the "eat more salt" doctor's orders, when I was younger. My mother never added salt to her cooking (my father had high blood pressure), so I ended up having low blood pressure. Pretty balanced now, I think. I tend not to add salt to my own cooking, but get a fair amount from bought foods.

• Like 9

Found this at the Goodwill today... Highlander: The Raven Complete Series box set.

Not sure which is stranger, finding one in such good condition or someone actually having bought the damn thing in the first place, lol.

39130010-8b69-417a-810d-2423f84e1ab6_1.a

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Is it painted? :huh:

Well, if you consider painting to be the application of colored liquids, pastes and powders to achive a desired visual effect...then yes. :upside:

I do confess to literally LOL'ing at your post, btw. :lol:

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
Automerge
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

My brother-in-law gets migraines occasionally, and keeps a couple energy drinks in the pantry for such occasions. He says it definitely does help reduce the severity of his symptoms. 

Three times I've had what I now think are probably a flavor of migraine. They've always been mild and painless (thank goodness), but instead my balance was...weird. I was fine as long as my head was still, but otherwise I felt like I was about to fall over. My head also felt a little bit...buzzy is the only way I can describe it. It was hard to focus on things. 

The third time, when I noticed that lights were a little bit bothersome, I made the connection. So I ate a bowl of Ramen, downed a bottle of 'Energy' flavor Vitaminwater (has the caffeine equivalent of half a cup of coffee) and took a nap. Felt substantially better after I woke up, and my vertigo was gone, though I felt a bit off the rest of the day.

If it happens again, I do plan to let my doctor know about it, especially since my mom just started having the occasional stress-induced migraine. Hers are also painless, though she gets visual disturbances; (she went to her optometrist first, and he suggested she talk to her doctor). 

As for sodium, my blood pressure runs on the low end of normal. My mom always heavily salts her food, so I never noticed it when I was growing up. Now though, I probably should use it more than I do. I use a light hand while cooking and don't generally add it to a finished dish. 

Huzzah! 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Open question: 

What is the right balance between light hearted and the world going down the pooper for your D&D worlds? I want to give my group characters they like, and victories to cheer for. I also want to demolish them and knock them and the world on their buttocks. Do you use say.... Buffy as an inspiration? Monster of the week, lots of funny, occasional saving the world? Or do you use Attack on Titan and Game of Thrones, where victories are fleeting and the world is in dire peril, often with little knowledge of how to stop it? 

• Like 3