Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

11 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I usually lean toward the Buffy side of things to start, and then get darker. 

It's always easier to get darker, hard to get lighter.  This seems to be the philosophy of a lot of adventure path type full campaigns--keep things middle of the road to start while the characters get to know each other, then bring in the big threats later.  

• Like 9

Out at the house currently, husband went to get more boxes of stuff from the apartment. I'm here to do some chores (sweep, clean cat litter, etc.), and unpack boxes so we have more to pack with. 

I am currently doing non of these things. I have a cat curled up in my lap and she won't move. Also, this happened when I laid down briefly when we got here.

IMG_20190517_101114_222.thumb.jpg.4c9c70b27e6b9a00f0f338e6cef97293.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I usually lean toward the Buffy side of things to start, and then get darker. 

A little darker?

image.png.58247016b1b3b0517bd4a4e623701fb2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Out at the house currently, husband went to get more boxes of stuff from the apartment. I'm here to do some chores (sweep, clean cat litter, etc.), and unpack boxes so we have more to pack with. 

I am currently doing non of these things. I have a cat curled up in my lap and she won't move. Also, this happened when I laid down briefly when we got here.

IMG_20190517_101114_222.thumb.jpg.4c9c70b27e6b9a00f0f338e6cef97293.jpg

That it either a very long and strangely colored cat or they are multiplying!

WOOF should be notified!

Moving can be a lot of work!  especially if you are trying to do it all yourselves. 

• Haha 8

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

A little darker?

image.png.58247016b1b3b0517bd4a4e623701fb2.png

:wub:

Mmmm... 

Ahem... Uh... Yeah... Darker. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

That it either a very long and strangely colored cat or they are multiplying!

WOOF should be notified!

Moving can be a lot of work!  especially if you are trying to do it all yourselves. 

Yeah, we're pretty much doing it ourselves. Might have some help next week. Gotta move all the furniture we don't want to get wet tomorrow since it is supposed to rain Sunday.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:
15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

What is the right balance between light hearted and the world going down the pooper for your D&D worlds?

Neither. [?]  Why are those the only 2 options?

There oughtsta be at least 3 other options. 

Not sure why it is a linear scale between these two options. Everybody that has commented seems to take this as a given though. :huh:

• Is it impossible to have a heavy-hearted, serious game (converse of light-hearted) in a world which is stable and static (not subject to doom if some mega-villain prevails)?
  • A light-hearted game in a world where the local version of Ragnarok will happen for certain, and everyone knows this, just a matter of which Big Bad gets to the BRButton. 
  • Or a game where the world is not doomed but instead the forces of St. Goodytwoshoes will inevitably prevail. It might be the PCs who bring this about, or they might end up on the ash-heap of history, while others claim the glory-wealth-and-Castles. 
  • Like 7

True, it does not need to be totally one or the other, nor a linear scale. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

:wub:

Mmmm... 

Ahem... Uh... Yeah... Darker. 

Even darker?

image.png.27ea87114f6b9a43a0b29d117d3d73ea.png

• Like 6

On 5/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

So - Paizo is doing a crowdfunding project for Kingmaker - updating it to PF2 but not PF1, as far as I know (boo! hiss!) - but more interesting, to me at least - they are also doing a 5e version.

Kingmaker is quite possibly the best scenario that they could choose for this experiment, so, while I do not play 5e, I thought I would let folks know.

8 days left, crowdfunding, but not through Kickstarter.

No links because No Commerce rule.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* I guess I never sent this in last night, 'cause it's in my browser now. (Or the forum software is having a hiccup - one or the other.) Changed the 9 to an 8, and obfuscated the crowdfunding site, just in case I ran afoul of the no commerce rule.

Correction - both 5e and PF1 will have books to use Kingmaker. ::): Sadly, we won't have the funds until after the funding is over. ::(:

Need to run, going to be late for the game unless the traffic breaks just right.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5

Ugh - today started off bad.  No internet at the house last night and this morning after major storms in the area last night.  In some ways, it would have been nice if it had stayed out all day, because my cell phones would have eventually needed to recharge, and I could have taken a break to paint or something.  In other ways, I'm glad it didn't, because I have ten customers with between 80 and 100 of our units total in the metro area that were hit with the same storm. Based on past history, and the severity of the storm and the initial phone calls, it looked really bad.  It would have been worse if I hadn't been available to help. 

Plus we had a tech on vacation, making us short staffed. 

It started looking up when my internet came back up, I was able to jump right into troubleshooting for my local sites.  At first it looked bad - at least five sites down. But overall, the damage wasn't too bad.  Mostly just system resets and one blown part that's actually a piece of circuit protection (meaning it did it's job).  Still have one site partially down,  customer's tech is headed that way now. 

Just when I thought I was getting caught up with fixing today's storm problems on top of the every day issues, I get the following photo:

image.thumb.png.5d5aeef64f8a3959c9ef383fac616989.png

This is NOT storm damage. 

Customer smoked a $1300 circuit board by plugging something unknown into it. 

For those of you who aren't electronically inclined, the connector on the right has 10 pins.  It's called an "In System Programming" port, and is used for plugging a programmer into it to update the firmware on the board's microcontroller chip (U7 in the lower right) .  Those programmers are powered by the USB port on a computer, which means they carry around 3.3  volts DC.   This port is empty during normal operation of the board. 

The plug the customer tried to force into it has holes for 12 pins. I have NO idea what this connector is from/for, but being in a car wash, it likely has at least 24 volts AC on it, so it's no wonder the board smoked - he just pumped about 8 times the correct voltage, of the wrong type into a circuit that can't handle it. 

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why the guy would try and force something designed for 12 pins into a connector with only 10. 

Even worse, this guy's site has been around for at least 15 years, and he's been the co-owner all that time - so I have no idea where this connector came from, nor can I figure out why he suddenly decided it went there when he's gone 15 years without doing this.   And even more bizarre he has 3 identical units that he could have referenced to see if anything was supposed to be plugged in there.

I'm left shaking my head, and he's going to be buying a $1300 replacement part. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 4

You aren't kidding about forced... Those connectors are two different pitches! 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

But very close to the same length. And it's nearly impossible to determine at a glance how many things (here holes) you're looking at with a glance when the number is greater than 5. Which isn't to say that he should have been trying to plug a twelve-pin into a ten-pin connector, of course. But making that kind of mistake, particularly when there's no labeling or limited labeling is easier than you might think. Especially if you're used to being "handy".

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I think they're actually the same pitch. The programmer's connector plug is wider on the outsides - I think that plug could fit in there offset no issues, with just 10 pins connected. 

I can see how the mistake could be made - I'm baffled at how this particular customer made it and it how it hasn't happened before now, though. 

• Like 6

Is that chip.... melted? Geebus. I used to construct circuit boards like that, and hand solder those little spider buggers. That had to get HOT to melt it. 

• Like 7