Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

25 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Once in a while i’ll sweep up the little piles of bug detritus left in my studio under the spider webs and feel grateful, because it’s so much better than bugs in my art supplies.

Before I knew better I was cruel to house centipedes, but I am a reformed character now and am happy to see them in my home.

House centipedes feathering along at their typical speed of zzziiipp! They are just fun to watch. ::):

And they will eat cockroaches. (And crickets. And meal bugs. And other small insects.)

Never been bitten by one, even when I deserved it. (Trying to keep one running from hand to hand - but the centipedes can move faster than my hands. ::P: )

The Auld Grump - I like having a spiderweb above the sink. *EDIT* Megan... not quite so happy about them. ::P:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 8

I like 90% of the TNG HD blu-rays, but as a miniature model enthusiast I'm distractingly annoyed by some of the now-visible sloppy work.

I'm particulary aggrieved by all the very prominent decal film I see everywhere, most notably on registration numbers.  I guess the budget didn't cover Micro-Sol.

It's just weird to see and notice things on-screen as the actual OG prototype and know they would cost you points in a competition.  

Part of me wants to replicate it and troll the IPMS contest here with screenshots arguing that it's screen-accurate to have NCC-1701-D as a shiny, long block.  

edit:  Actually, I think I know why they didn't use any decal solution agent: it's easier to switch numbers than build a new ship every time so they would need to be easily removed.  And also they thought you'd never see it in hi-res enough to notice.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

22 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

<Purple> It's 11 am, that's perfectly acceptable time to have a drink right? </Purple>

Absolutely ! and if you are drinking a Mimosa at brunch no one will think twice about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Last night was odd.

I play an elf. There was a time vortex. Everyone else had shorter lifespans than I. Guess who went. Turns out it's a time prison. The guy and I had a nice conversation about his former master, the lich we killed last game. Still hadn't found the phylactery. In conversation I got the neat little tidbits of ten thousand year old medical myths that let me find the thing (technically we'd already found it, we just knew it as a crystal heart that kept trying to usurp my body for a new host). And then I walked out.

There's a reason they sent the elf. I walked in 150 years old, pretty standard for an elf who's seen some broccoli. I walk out barely older than 100 with the worry that nobody's going to take me seriously anymore because I'm "only 100".

Then there was the Wish. The lich was a servant of Abraxas in life and spurned his patron in favor of undeath. This made Abraxas mad enough that he contacted up through a planar well or whatever that bottomless abyss of wind and evil was. He demanded the lich's head and heart, in exchange he'd offer us a Wish. I was skeptical, this is Abraxas, but the others took it at face value since we were going to kill the lich anyway.

We kill the lich, I have the telltale heart phylactery in my hand, it's still trying to crawl into my chest, and we chuck it and the severed lich head into the planar well. And the other players start debating over the Wish. We only get one as the whole party, it needs to be good. A generic +1 to an ability score isn't going to cut it. I suggest power, magic items, money, the standards. Someone suggests we try to destroy an evil artifact we have. I point out if the gods could destroy this evil artifact they would have already given we know they already tried. Then the cavalier gets an idea.

I stay out of this idea. The cavalier and the druid want their animal friends (mount, attack cat) Awakened. Third guy at the table is all for this. It is a ridiculous idea. I have seen worse. And our GM knows this because she turns to me.

"Hey you have players who come up with ridiculous ideas, what would you do about this?"

Never mind she is one of my usual players ::P: So I hash out a thing that lets the animals Awaken but doesn't disqualify them from being animal companions and doesn't overpower them. Also they can no longer talk to animals of their own kind anymore. I'm waiting for the wolf mount to panic when local dogs try to sniff his butt. And the attack cat is writing love poetry to someone's cohort.

We are 2 or 3 sessions away from the end of the campaign. The ridiculousness won't last much longer. Then new ridiculousness can begin...

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think "steps" for the baby might take at least a little while longer. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah, probably a few more weeks at least. ::P:

Hey! You never know. She was holding her head up for a few seconds the day she was born. According to the doctor that was weird. 

I have a weird baby ^_^ :wub:

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Hey! You never know. She was holding her head up for a few seconds the day she was born. According to the doctor that was weird. 

I have a weird baby ^_^ :wub:

Soon she will be at the 'Will this fit in my mouth?' stage. ::P:

fc02509.png

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 13

"Wiggly little suicide machine" is an accurate descriptor of my adorable nephew. He's not quite 2, and still hasn't grasped the fact that the laws of physics (gravity in particular) apply to him. He's already traumatized his AuntyBoot twice by simply...stepping off into space at the top of stairs (nothing worse than a scrape or bruise both times, thank heavens). His other pastimes include violently and without warning trying to fling himself from one's arms if he sees something of interest, and pulling things from the trash to chew on. 

It's a wonder anybody survives to adulthood, really. :blink:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I like 90% of the TNG HD blu-rays, but as a miniature model enthusiast I'm distractingly annoyed by some of the now-visible sloppy work.

I'm particulary aggrieved by all the very prominent decal film I see everywhere, most notably on registration numbers.  I guess the budget didn't cover Micro-Sol.

It's just weird to see and notice things on-screen as the actual OG prototype and know they would cost you points in a competition.  

Part of me wants to replicate it and troll the IPMS contest here with screenshots arguing that it's screen-accurate to have NCC-1701-D as a shiny, long block.  

edit:  Actually, I think I know why they didn't use any decal solution agent: it's easier to switch numbers than build a new ship every time so they would need to be easily removed.  And also they thought you'd never see it in hi-res enough to notice.

Hey, be glad that you got an HD version of the show where you can notice those little things. My favorite Trek probably won't ever get it because they did all the things that made TNG hard to remaster, but they did them in a way that makes it even harder. I do kind of wish we'd get to see the USS Odyssey getting ripped apart and then see something like a missed "NCC 1701-D" sticker that got left on it...

As for not using a decal solvent, you would think that for the "A" model, the main model used in the show, they would do that. And that they would have at least a couple spares that were built primarily for swapping registry numbers when they needed a new ship to show up. I know TV budgets can be tight, but it makes sense to have A and B models, just like how they have "Hero" costumes that are made to a higher standard than the ones given to extras and smaller roles.

I started rewatching TNG lately, and I just hit season 2. The number of Excelsior-class ships that I've seen has been pretty high. I know that lore-wise they had made the Excelsior-class the workhorse of the fleet, but I can't help but think that the real reason was that they had a bunch of Excelsior models left over from it being in the movies, and they wanted to use a ship other than the Constitution-class. And later in the series it would have been in the movies in 2 different configurations which would have meant even more spare models sitting around.

• Like 6

Blerg. I ruined dnd for today. We were supposed to start at noon, but I apparently fell asleep (the baby had me pinned, i was too warm not to sleep), and now it's almost 3. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

I didn't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Blerg. I ruined dnd for today. We were supposed to start at noon, but I apparently fell asleep (the baby had me pinned, i was too warm not to sleep), and now it's almost 3. :wacko:

I think you've got a pretty good reason.:winkthumbs:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Almost all the furniture is out. The last two things that aren't lamps or our game tower are DVD cabinets. We have plenty of space for movies and games built into the house already.

I'm wiped. But we're down to only about 10% to pack and move! Then cleaning. <_<

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

"Wiggly little suicide machine" is an accurate descriptor of my adorable nephew. He's not quite 2, and still hasn't grasped the fact that the laws of physics (gravity in particular) apply to him. He's already traumatized his AuntyBoot twice by simply...stepping off into space at the top of stairs (nothing worse than a scrape or bruise both times, thank heavens). His other pastimes include violently and without warning trying to fling himself from one's arms if he sees something of interest, and pulling things from the trash to chew on. 

Huzzah! 

My 2nd youngest nephew loved to try and fling himself at other people while his mother was carrying him. You could just be standing their talking to his mother, as she held him. He would suddenly smile and try to leap out of her arms at you. He just assumed you would catch him.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

If I live to be 200, I may not survive to adulthood, lol... ::D:

Sometimes I almost feel sorry for my mother back when I was a baby - they tell me that as soon as I could manage to crawl I was all over the place, and as soon as I became ambulatory, I immediately began hiding under or inside everything. They used to have to search for me for hours, and I apparently went from crawling to walking to climbing in a ridiculously short period of time that almost had the doctors worried. I'm told my pediatrician watched me successfully scale her bookshelf at an age when most of my contemporaries were still falling on their butts if they ran too fast.

And as soon as I could drag over something that was tall enough to let me reach the doorknob, I was outdoors...

Usually without any clothes on. ::D:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

Goblin when he grows up maybe?? :lol:

9 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Scotch tape not on hand at Paramount Studios? How I get rid of decals on models.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1