Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, Flit said:

Taking my doggie to the vet in a bit. Hoping that her issue is minor and easily cured.

You said Tic-Born Illness?

There are different kinds, some are not too bad some are..

Do you know what kind?

Is it cureable?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

As a DM I would have said that was beyond a Wish's power and had you choose something else. Wish and Miracle are basically the same spell, just from different sources, and if a deity could simply use their power to Miracle another deity away they would be doing it all the time. But they don't, because they can't, and so they're reduced to waging eternal wars against each other.

And even if Abraxas supposedly has the power to end magic itself, I doubt he'd allow that power to be used to end himself. Especially since he's Chaotic Evil. At best, if the group had continued to argue for it, I'd have had him distort your words and send you to some alternate reality where he didn't exist, and probably one that isn't remotely like the one you're familiar with, because one of the core tenets of Wish is "be careful what you wish for" and he's an evil deity. Or maybe he'd send you back in time to before he existed as a deity, which would have much of the same effect.

I know it's a jerk move, but it's what you'd have to expect if you're asking an evil deity to commit suicide when they're offering you a favor.

For a start, Abraxas isn't a deity in that setting, he's a demon lord; not quite the same level of power, even if he does empower clerics. Call it minor deity, and call it a day. 

Normally, I'd agree with you, though.  It was one of those things where we figured it would backfire and bite us in the butt, because.. well, that's how that usually goes, yeh? But we let Mr. Thorne figure out how to word it, and went with it, because, quite frankly, it was worth a shot. We had to agree on the Wish anyway, and we all agreed it was worth it. Mr. Thorne went ten shades of Sha'ir on the thing, and... yah. That happened.

My personal suspicion is that our translator was forwarding most of this to Higher Powers, and... well, things got a little weird. (we had a Lantern Archon attached to the group to translate for our monk, who did not speak umpty million languages, but tended to prefer negotiation over combat... and had the ability to enforce it. We had a very, VERY strange variant of that campaign, in many ways). 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor rum wolf

Wait, why has no one told me of this??  ::P:

I'm so bored right now...  Just sitting at a car dealership getting hubby's car checked.  They have free cookies, which is awesome, but I could really use lunch.  

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Just sitting at a car dealership ....  They have free cookies....

Dark Side. I knew it.

• Haha 11

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

You said Tic-Born Illness?

There are different kinds, some are not too bad some are..

Do you know what kind?

Is it cureable?

I took her to the vet because she had blood in her urine, as it turned out the blood was from her skin.

After several tests the vet is pretty sure it is Rocky Mountain Spotted Tic Fever. She actually has had no symptoms of it, but her platelets are low. They ran the four tic borne illnesses that  they can  do in house. To % verify it they would have to send it off and it would cost an extra $100. She is now on antibiotics and prednisone and is expected to make a full recovery.

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, Flit said:

I took her to the vet because she had blood in her urine, as it turned out the blood was from her skin.

After several tests the vet is pretty sure it is Rocky Mountain Spotted Tic Fever. She actually has had no symptoms of it, but her platelets are low. They ran the four tic borne illnesses that  they can  do in house. To % verify it they would have to send it off and it would cost an extra $100. She is now on antibiotics and prednisone and is expected to make a full recovery.

Good to hear a full recovery is expected.

Dodging a bullet there!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Flit said:

Glad to hear your dog is going to be ok. Ticks are pretty scary stuff and their various diseases are not to be messed with. This is shaping up to be a particularly bad year. My wife went on an early morning hike Saturday. She stayed out of tall grass and wore long sleeves and she still found 4 on her at the end of the hike and 2 on one of our dogs. Luckily neither of them had ticks embedded.

Just gave my interns the tick speech today. Tuck everything in, stay out of grasses, wear DEET or soak clothes in permethrin, homeopathic or homemade bug sprays don't work, how to recognize a bite, how to remove an embedded tick, and most importantly why you should immediately go to a doctor if you find one embedded on you.

In my state we now have everything from Lyme Disease to Erhlichiosis, which makes you suddenly allergic to meat. 

Enough with the rambling though. If your dog has a place it sleeps indoors check it carefully for ticks. Wash its bedding. Same if it sleeps in your bed. If you find one squash it before disposing of it. I have heard stories of ticks reproducing in a house and causing serious infestations. Even after being flushed down the toilet alive. 

Also, if you have some of those house centipedes mentioned a couple of pages back they eat ticks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

In my state we now have everything from Lyme Disease to Erhlichiosis, which makes you suddenly allergic to meat. 

We have that stuff here too. I have met a few people who have the meat alergy thing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Brush cutters are a thing. :rolleyes:

They're not a cheap thing.

Yea, I know. My family used to have a walk behind Gravely, and one of the attachments we had was a 36"(I think) brush hog. It would take care of most of my lawn in about 6 passes, leaving me with just the stuff that I couldn't maneuver around to do in full with the mower. If we still had it. But that Gravely seized up years ago, because when my parents got a divorce they sold the property we used it on and it sat, uncovered, for years and rusted itself into near oblivion.

Which never made any sense to me, because two of the other attachments we had were a tiller and a garden plow, but my mom would rather use hand tools for her rather large garden than use the Gravely.

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Can you rent a goat?

My experience with goats is that they're great for brush, like briars and brambles, and for stripping trees of anything the goat can reach. And they can reach a lot once they stand on their hind legs and really stretch out. Then they break into your shed, eat your ice melt salts, and die from it. But the one my mom had didn't really do much for her lawn. She was an awesome pet, though. Like a giant dog.

49 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Yes, but they ask a lot of questions.  

Too many questions.  

And they want to make some really strange deals, too.

Took a little over an hour to weedeat the lawn. Hopefully on Saturday I can hit it with the lawnmower in a proper fashion since most of what I cut down today will have had a little bit of time to wither and dry, and even though it will be wet from rain almost all week it will be low enough to not kill my mower.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Unruly said:

My experience with goats is that they're great for brush, like briars and brambles, and for stripping trees of anything the goat can reach. And they can reach a lot once they stand on their hind legs and really stretch out. Then they break into your shed, eat your ice melt salts, and die from it. But the one my mom had didn't really do much for her lawn. She was an awesome pet, though. Like a giant dog.

Heck, my former girlfriend had pictures of her goat in the tree - if the branches are low enough and far enough apart, they can climb trees.

Once you let a goat into your heart... they will try to eat it. ::P:

The Auld Grump - Pratchett described goats as 'sheep with brains'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I spent the last two weeks dreading a credit card merchant setup I had to do today for a customer.  Everything about the agent I was dealing with was giving me red flags that I was going to have problems, because the platform they wanted to use gives a lot of agents problems getting set up right for the equipment I work on. 

And guess what?

I was wrong. 

Not just wrong, but like he got it right first try, where as even most good agents take a second try to get it right.

In other news, I'm happy with my son for finally getting off his butt and managing to get his crap ton of missing science assignments turned in. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Sigh... time to weedeat my lawn again because I finally got a day off that isn't raining. As much as I hate mowing my lawn, I wouldn't hate it near as much as I do if the weather would cooperate once in a while. But it only gives me clear days on my days off like once every 2 months. And half of those are days where it rained the day prior, so the lawn is both overgrown and wet, which means it kills my mower. It's like I need a mower powered by a V8 engine.

Where are Tim Taylor and Jeremy Clarkson when you need them? I need MOAR POWAH!!!!!

In this case I think that would be more elegantly phrased as MOWER POWER!!!!!

GEM

TWINKLE     TWINKLE

• Haha 8

On 5/19/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pingo said:

Eldest came home Friday with a block of “Post-It EXTREME.” :huh:

They’re regular post-It notes with a  slightly stronger adhesive, packaged in a blatant attempt to appeal to male stereotypes. :blink:

:lol:

Isn't the weak, reusable adhesive the key defining feature of a post-it? :huh:

I mean, isn't it's feature-defining semi-stickiness what separates it from tape?

Bother. Am I male-ing wrong again?

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Isn't the weak, reusable adhesive the key defining feature of a post-it? :huh:

I mean, isn't it's feature-defining semi-stickiness what separates it from tape?

Bother. Am I male-ing wrong again?

Nah. You’re just trying to apply an old set of requirements to a new product. Old product doesn’t need to be used outside in the wind. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4