Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, I just received a shipping notice for my Hasslefree order! I didn't spring for the tracking, so I don't know when it will show up, but I'm guessing that it will show up in a week or two given my past experiences with international shipping. I'm hoping it shows up sooner rather than later, otherwise it might show up while I'm on vacation. I leave for Florida on the 3rd, and since I no longer have a roommate it would sit outside until I got home on the 11th if it was delivered during that period.

Based on what other people here have said about Hasslefree's difficulties as of late and how it has impacted their shipping, I'm hoping that this is a sign that their good ship is righting itself.

Install a larger mailbox** The one time I ordered from Hasslefree they used a very small box.

**or a doorslot(?)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Taking the day off of work tomorrow as I'm scheduled to go get me bees. Wonder how fast I'll get stung? Beats being at the desk.

Honey bees are actually really docile in my experience. When my cousin had them we could pull the frames from the hive and they wouldn't even bother us. It's the Africanized honey bees that you have to watch out for. They're just nasty all around.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I can't use a memory foam mattress. My wife has the same problem. In fact we just got rid of one and replaced it with a pillow-top and both of us are sleeping much better.

De gustibus ...

After much trial and error, we determined that foam mattresses hurt my back, while MrBoot's bad hip feels better with one. Our compromise has been to buy a thick foam mattress topper, chop it in half, and put it on his side. Yes it means his half of the bed is a couple inches higher, but we both sleep more comfortably. :) 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Started unpacking the hobby room today.

0520191503_HDR.thumb.jpg.0e9259f0cc7353762a58cc4079b2770f.jpg0520191503.thumb.jpg.a8180bc0cea15e3dbb4eda30c9ada71f.jpg0520191503a_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf69bff39ac204d9e1e69b77886d069f.jpg

Congratulations!  Glad to see the hard work paying off.  Also glad to see you in a more comfortable spot.  I hope all goes well with the move!

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

OW!

Definitely too soft mattress.  One night on my memory foam mattress and the back is improving.   But it's going to take several more days before things are back to "normal", for a given value of normal.

Dealing with tech "support" in India:

Reveal hidden contents

Preface:  My sisters first husband was a Sikh, born and raised in the Punjab.  I spent a considerable amount of time both in Chicago and Wisconsin socializing in the local Sikh Communities.  Not the American converts to Sikhism but the people who were born into it in India and have brought their religion and communities with them to the USA.  Generally fine people to know and hard working assets in the communities they live in.

So I'm familiar with English spoken with an Indian Accent.  Sometimes with a very thick Indian Accent.

The mis-adventure:  Couldn't get on to internet in the hotel.  My tablet indicated it was logging on to the system but that there was no internet.

Seen this before, 90% plus chance the router has crashed and needs a reboot.  So I called their "tech-support" number and was immediately connected with the guy gargling marbles.  His English was so bad and slurred that even I couldn't understand it. 

I pressed on and explained the problem and stated "it probably needs a router re-boot".

Marble Mouth immediately starts in with his scripts of all the irrelevant stuff, guaranteed not to fix the problem and in the process  frustrate bubba hotel guest who has trouble understanding people from Long Island. 

After 10+ minutes of frustration Marble Mouth finally gets to the screen telling him to re-boot the router remotely.  After the router came up [surprise! {not}]  he wanted to know if there was anything else he could do.  I told him yes, the next time pay attention to the callers who actually know how this stuff works, that way you won't waste 10 or more minutes of their and your time like you just did with me.

When we checked out I was asked how our visit was and I remarked, "Just fine except for the too soft beds and the poor quality tech-support."

The two desk clerks looked at each other with a "we have tech-support?" look on their faces.

They did apologize for the too soft mattresses.

By Thursday I should be able to get out of a chair without groaning in pain

Sorry to hear that.  Hotel mattresses are often a nightmare.  For a while one of the Mariott properties was offering the air mattress type beds.  Unfortunately they had a tendency to die in the night and you would wake up in a poorly slung hammock 8 inches off the floor.  That was not a pleasant evening, especially since I had to be doing a plant walkthrough the following morning!  

Hope you continue to feel better

I am also tempting fate!  I am trying to take a few days off around memorial day before we try to catch up on all the work that got delayed by the cyber attack on our company.  And I can't help but wonder what is going to prevent me from a vacation this time...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Haven't seen the male and female robin for over a day now. Found one egg on the ground and broken, looks the little one didn't survive before hatching. One egg in the nest, but it's lost its bright robin egg blue and looks duller. Keeping an eye on the nest still, but I think it's been abandoned.

• Sad 15

Murphy's law in action:

We installed our window air conditioners yesterday after 2 days of 80 degree temperatures. The temperature dropped to 45 overnight, and it's only expected to reach 62 or so today.

(All temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Install a larger mailbox** The one time I ordered from Hasslefree they used a very small box.

**or a doorslot(?)

This - my HF kickstarter order, with something like 24 minis (plus the usual candy) was about the size of a 3x5 index card pack.. I had no idea what the package was initially because I was expecting something much larger from them..

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Murphy's law in action:

We installed our window air conditioners yesterday after 2 days of 80 degree temperatures. The temperature dropped to 45 overnight, and it's only expected to reach 62 or so today.

(All temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit.)

Air conditioners are much more efficient in cold air. :B):

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I can't use a memory foam mattress. My wife has the same problem. In fact we just got rid of one and replaced it with a pillow-top and both of us are sleeping much better.

De gustibus ...

And just the opposite for us. Weird. It's almost like people are individuals or something!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Had an absolute droll day at work, came home to my wife's complete and total panic as she just realized when I walked in the door that she'd missed our daughter's dental appointment. She doesn't like to set an alarm for the events in our online calendar and that's bitten her twice now.

But... Why? I'd never remember anything if it weren't for my calendar and to do lists. :blink:

Coffee!!

• Like 8

Turns out there is a part 2 to the tic fever story. I found a tic on me this morning and when I removed it the head stayed. Never had that happen before.  Now I get to spend some time in a walk in clinic and get antibiotics:(.   Mostly I’m worried about my cats. There are som nasty things cats can get from ticks. It is going to be a long day. 

• Sad 19

On 5/19/2019 at 10:24 AM, Pingo said:

Once in a while i’ll sweep up the little piles of bug detritus left in my studio under the spider webs and feel grateful, because it’s so much better than bugs in my art supplies.

Before I knew better I was cruel to house centipedes, but I am a reformed character now and am happy to see them in my home.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

House centipedes feathering along at their typical speed of zzziiipp! They are just fun to watch. ::):

And they will eat cockroaches. (And crickets. And meal bugs. And other small insects.)

Never been bitten by one, even when I deserved it. (Trying to keep one running from hand to hand - but the centipedes can move faster than my hands. ::P: )

The Auld Grump - I like having a spiderweb above the sink. *EDIT* Megan... not quite so happy about them. ::P:

Spiders pretty much run around the house with out issue here. The only ones my wife has an issue with are cellar spiders and only if they are in a place she'd rather they not be, like the shower or the stairs. If they kill the Asian lady beetles that keep getting into the house, then that's just them paying rent and they can live wherever they like (except the shower). Same if they have a centipede in the web. I know that centipedes are harmless, I know they eat silverfish. I don't care. They set off some sort of primal revulsion in me. We have psuedoscorpians, they can eat the silverfish instead. It's usually my wife's job to kill centipedes but occasionally the cats will corner and kill them as well. The big one will sometimes eat one, and while I appreciate his efforts it hard to pet him or let him climb onto my lap, with a leg still twitching on his mouth. 

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

15 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I set the table up for Kings of War, we haven't played in about a month. ::): I want to kill things. ::P:

I could probably find players for you, but you'd have to spend a few hours driving south, or they would have to spend the same driving north (and they're uselessly lazy, in that regard).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

De gustibus ...

Megan has told me that the proper term for my old mattress wasn't 'mattress' - it was 'slab'. ::P:

We had to compromise on a firm, yet not hard, mattress.

One of the teens in the Five Man Band called the beholder police captain 'Big Blue'....

The beholder's reaction - 'Never, ever call me that to my face again. But just between you and me, I liked it. I liked it a lot....' ::D:

I think he just became a bit more of a person to them.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8