Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

The whole house has things to fix and I'm very frustrated about it.

It is unfortunately pretty much the norm.  You might want to keep a journal of what repairs you do and contact info for people who you can call to fix things.  Even a new house will have things a builder screwed up that need to get fixed.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

A very green day today. First, there was a stream bed full of my favorite groundwater fed species... Skunk Cabbage. 

20190521_094804.thumb.jpg.cff23068bbdb9a384270d136914b7649.jpg

Then we found some endangered horsetail. 

20190521_153323.thumb.jpg.75c849fe987763f527c6a2ac8c27b75b.jpg

There were also some cool rocks as we hiked upstream.

20190521_153400.thumb.jpg.0c53a8aeb29ba51d5b7c1599f48c1f0d.jpg

And then I came home and got the first lettuce harvest from my garden.

20190521_170802.thumb.jpg.7f60d8d7fc99297c9097f29b3cc050a1.jpg

Good day, all in all. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I have only ever heard Binky used in period drama television shows. Actual extended family members used other silly words. 

(...There are lots of silly words that crop up in the presence of human infants...) 

(...Why is that?..)

I never understood the point of baby talk. You sound like an idiot. Are you trying to teach them to talk like an idiot? Just talk to them normally, using normal words. They'll learn faster.

>jumps off soap box<

Breakfast for dinner!! Blueberry pancakes, eggs and hash browns.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

So when it starts to go "Wahoonie Shaped" lay it off on the engineer and his "custom programing".  It won't help with this situation but might prevent future incidents of a similar nature.

Sometimes the only way to get people who will be out of the loop from making these sort of promises is to require them to make good on those promises when it turns out they have over promised and under delivered.

GEM

I've been doing that for the entire time I've dealt with this client.  They know better than me. 
TBH, the engineer is pretty good, and can get most custom things to work.   The problem is that the custom stuff generally requires programming the equipment a couple of times to get it tweaked right.  This would be less of a problem if the site didn't insist on the fancy equipment.  With the more reliable stuff, I can send out a couple of hand held programmers that are simple - plug them into the ISP port on the board, push a red button - teller updated.    With the fancy stuff, it requires a laptop computer, and two different types of programming cables, and someone who can operate Windows well enough.  

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Well, I hope it's in a pretty area with good hotels. <_<

Not the way to bet, I'm sure.

Thanks to Google maps, I've already scoped it out.  It pretty much looks like the town I live in, only further away from conveniences - same rural farmland, fewer rolling hills.  The hotel websites make them look good, but I've been deceived before.  

I scoped out trying to fly in - but the time you figure in all the travel time associated with flying, connections and renting a car, it's a 6.5 hr journey by plane (if everything goes right) and a 7.25 hour journey if I just drive.  Since my contract stipulates I get paid the IRS's mileage rate for any travel, I'm definitely driving - the 45 minutes I'll save isn't worth it.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

...they've chosen the most complicated (and thus prone to issues) equipment my client manufactures.   I expressed my concerns to my client, and all they can see is a sale that is going to be $40-50k more than what I originally helped the dist quote, not the back end support that will eat all that up. 

You should create a case study file on this. For your own records. Track it over time. Go ahead and make some estimates and predictions of mean time between failures. Document it all. 

Who knows? ...maybe the fancy gear will work better than you currently think. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

What I wouldn't give to see a commission or bonus program that paid out only part of the funds up front and the rest after you saw how it did after 2 or 3 years.  I imagine people would have quite a different view of what to install or who to listen to.

A couple of years ago, I suggested that my client adopt a similar system.  I suggested putting half the commission in escrow for the warranty period, which is one year, with service issues being paid partially out of that. . 

Sales howled about that, and obviously, it didn't happen. 

1 minute ago, TGP said:

You should create a case study file on this. For your own records. Track it over time. Go ahead and make some estimates and predictions of mean time between failures. Document it all. 

Who knows? ...maybe the fancy gear will work better than you currently think. 

that's not a bad idea. 

I'm not so much worried about premature failures - it's likely I'll be going up to help install it, so I know it will be done right.   It's the hassle it's going to be when something does go wrong. 

There is something about small town car wash owners wanting all the fancy bells and whistles and custom stuff, then getting all huffy when service takes extra time not only because of distance, but because of all the extra complexity their system has. 

We rarely have big city sites asking for custom stuff. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

It is unfortunately pretty much the norm.  You might want to keep a journal of what repairs you do and contact info for people who you can call to fix things.  Even a new house will have things a builder screwed up that need to get fixed.  

I'm starting to keep track of everything. It doesn't help that the people who lived there before uncle in-law had a destructive kid. When they moved he took it out on the house.

As far as I can tell the biggest issue is the sliding doors. They were put in backwards. So the spot you'd normally put a safety bar is on the outside of the house. And all 3 bedrooms have them.

The rest is little stuff. Or nothing super pressing I suppose.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

I have received a jury duty summons. This is the first time I've ever received one. I know it's my civic duty to be one, and I should be happy to do it, but I'm really not...

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Even a new house will have things a builder screwed up that need to get fixed.  

SNERX!

Especially a new house will have things that the builder screwed up that need to be fixed.  I had one house built for me, one.  That is the last and only time i will subject myself to that misery.  The horror stories I can tell, starting from the very foundation of the house.  Not only the one i was building, the neighbors in the subdivision didn't spent every day reviewing the job site and suffered far worse.  (at least i didn't have black mold growing in my walls... in Arizona in a new house)

I will learn to keep a computer in the same room as i take pictures in!  I am tired of taking shots that look fine on the small screen but wind up with a quarter inch of focus and everything else is blurry Arghh! next time I will just use the phone instead of the expensive camera and get decent pictures!

and yes i know there are lots of instructions on taking pictures out there.  Unfortunately they require time to read and experiment with and are not real good about 'this distance at this light level and these settings will get you what you want'  and more of an explore and you will discover...

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm starting to keep track of everything. It doesn't help that the people who lived there before uncle in-law had a destructive kid. When they moved he took it out on the house.

As far as I can tell the biggest issue is the sliding doors. They were put in backwards. So the spot you'd normally put a safety bar is on the outside of the house. And all 3 bedrooms have them.

The rest is little stuff. Or nothing super pressing I suppose.

For the improperly installed exterior sliders you can pin the doors.

You can get a kit at the hardware store containing all the materials for the install.

Add a cordless drill and a couple of bits and you are ready to increase your security levels in 30 minutes or less.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Green Eyed Monster said:

For the improperly installed exterior sliders you can pin the doors.

You can get a kit at the hardware store containing all the materials for the install.

Add a cordless drill and a couple of bits and you are ready to increase your security levels in 30 minutes or less.

GEM

Would this still let them open? The two upstairs lead out to a deck. The one downstairs is in the master bedroom and I wouldn't be worried about it opening or not.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

SNERX!

Especially a new house will have things that the builder screwed up that need to be fixed.  I had one house built for me, one.  That is the last and only time i will subject myself to that misery.  The horror stories I can tell, starting from the very foundation of the house.  Not only the one i was building, the neighbors in the subdivision didn't spent every day reviewing the job site and suffered far worse.  (at least i didn't have black mold growing in my walls... in Arizona in a new house)

I will learn to keep a computer in the same room as i take pictures in!  I am tired of taking shots that look fine on the small screen but wind up with a quarter inch of focus and everything else is blurry Arghh! next time I will just use the phone instead of the expensive camera and get decent pictures!

and yes i know there are lots of instructions on taking pictures out there.  Unfortunately they require time to read and experiment with and are not real good about 'this distance at this light level and these settings will get you what you want'  and more of an explore and you will discover...

Most common in houses constructed with drywall imported from China.

Something about the "quality" or lack thereof, of the materials used and poor quality control coupled with damp shipping conditions.

GEM

Just now, SparrowMarie said:

Would this still let them open? The two upstairs lead out to a deck. The one downstairs is in the master bedroom and I wouldn't be worried about it opening or not.

Yes.

It's basically a nail on a ball chain, with enough additional fiddly bits to hold everything in place.

When you want to open the door you just pull the pin out of the hole and open the door.

When you want to secure everything you insert the pin and both sections are locked in place.

At that point it's easier for an intruder to smash the glass than try to jimmy the door.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I never understood the point of baby talk. You sound like an idiot. Are you trying to teach them to talk like an idiot? Just talk to them normally, using normal words. They'll learn faster.

>jumps off soap box<

Breakfast for dinner!! Blueberry pancakes, eggs and hash browns.

No bacon?  Who are you and what have you done with Chaoswolf?

I had a steak with garlic and cayenne pepper; with a splash of teriyaki sauce added at the end. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Looks like mine will be Sylred. 

• Like 8