Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

16 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Tegcae or Space 

ETA: things to fix. List will no doubtedly get longer. Might need a bigger notebook.

0521191639.thumb.jpg.bc3df8e9586cb0132c1711995d9aab20.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 13

36 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

No bacon?  Who are you and what have you done with Chaoswolf?

I had a steak with garlic and cayenne pepper; with a splash of teriyaki sauce added at the end. 

I'm not sure if admitting that I ran out of bacon will help my case or not....

Your dinner sounds pretty good, too.

16 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Chaste :blink:

No, nope, nun-uh, no way.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Grebla?

GEM

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Trimmed or Harmod

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Darthr.

Sounds dwarvish to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

WhiDer or WulDer depending on which part of the name you go buy.  I'm adding a "p" at the end of either one because man that's how the days been.  Or at least my boss, sending me to a place off of my delivery route (on a super busy day thanks to Victoria Day), claims because paperwork has been sent in, I should be good to go. 

I wasn't on the list for this rather high security client, as my orientation expired the end of Feb (despite letting my boss know about this for six months before hand).  I just got written down in an incident report thanks to my boss.  At a big company.  With stupidly strict rules regarding safety and security. 

...Thankfully, I shouldn't be in too much trouble.  The guard manning the gate that didn't verify my identity on the other hand...  Will thankfully just get a stern reminder about policies there. 

But still.  The one thing I do my best to do (follow health and safety rules, doubly so at high security / high risk sites) and my boss (who's the chair of OUR health and safety board, PLUS on the national committee) sent me in to do something I repeatedly said  I wasn't allowed to do.  So yeah, kind of frustrated about such. 

Going to be interetlsting to see how this plays out, since I did get notice that I was on the list as of 14:40, and I visited after... And security hadn't been given the new list yet... 

Either way, I'm bugging my boss to get the overtime pay, since he's the one who demanded I go out and deliver there in the first place.  Doubly so since he took a good chunk of the time with my hubby on his birthday. 

On the plus side, hubby put in a demand: pizza for supper.  With wings and pop.  Okay, I can swing that! Yay for pizza! 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Well, that was a rubbish few days :unsure: Extra work shifts, a friend in and out of hospital(he's fine now, thankfully) and a migraine. The only good thing was my Bones kickstarter arriving. At least the cats are happy with their new box. 

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Thanks for confirming. It’s not just me then. 

Do you suppose it is because Through-The-Door Mail Slots are ubiquitous in the UK (?) and they do their best to pack to a standard that will work with those?

Woah, wait a minute here. I know that we practically live in different worlds, but are you actually saying that you don't have letter box slot in your door in the U.S.? :blink:

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Well, that was a rubbish few days :unsure: Extra work shifts, a friend in and out of hospital(he's fine now, thankfully) and a migraine. The only good thing was my Bones kickstarter arriving. At least the cats are happy with their new box. 

Woah, wait a minute here. I know that we practically live in different worlds, but are you actually saying that you don't have letter box slot in your door in the U.S.? :blink:

Yes.

You will find very few doors equipped with letter slots in the USA.

Mail is either delivered to a curbside receptacle of US Postal Service specification or a Gang Box where there are a series of pigeon holes and parcel lockers, with each address having a key for the designated pigeon hole for their mail.

In the more rural areas there is a designated delivery point for mail and all the local residents set up their own mailbox in a rough line as close to the designated point as practical.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here is a "done to the max" US mailbox [this one is just down the road from me]

mU5L1Cx.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

When it's -30C, the last thing I would want is a hole in my door. The US climate isn't really very similar (in most places) to any UK climate. Additionally, US lot sizes run significantly larger than those in most of the UK, so mail is generally delivered from a vehicle rather than on foot. And walking from the postal vehicle up to each front door in turn would probably require at least 50% more postal carriers.

Plus I don't especially want a place for someone to drop things into my house.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Today:

- Pack

- Clean

- Hold on to what little bit of sanity I have left.

- Pack some more.

- Move things to house

- Unpack at house?

ETA: Found a dead, what I think was, a dead stink bug in the upstairs bathroom. Hoping not to find more. I don't think I'll use that bathroom unless necessary. It probably needs a whole remodel upon inspection. 

The whole house has things to fix and I'm very frustrated about it.

Make sure you make your bed first. You want that when you've given up on unpacking other stuff.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I will learn to keep a computer in the same room as i take pictures in!  I am tired of taking shots that look fine on the small screen but wind up with a quarter inch of focus and everything else is blurry Arghh! next time I will just use the phone instead of the expensive camera and get decent pictures!

Cell phones have very short lenses. This means that they have very short hyperfocal distances. A modern cell phone is a very good choice for taking pictures of miniatures.

Here's the really simple recipe:

• Gray background so your camera doesn't get notions about "fixing" the color temperature or exposure. Gray craft foam works very well.
  • Two of the same light, one on either side of the figure and in front at about 45° to either side of a line from camera to mini and in as close as possible without getting in the way of the photo. (You'll be cropping, so don't worry if they're in the edges of the frame.)
  • A stabilized camera (tripod, sandbag, or bag of rice can each work).
  • Shoot the picture. If the shot doesn't have enough depth of field, move back a bit.
  • Crop away everything that doesn't matter, leaving only a bit of a border.

For a bigger camera, use a short-ish lens (12 - 35mm or so) and back up a bit. Use a narrow (high number) aperture. Crop as above.

For more, see this thread:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55357-miniatures-photography-101

Note that if you want "creative", this ain't it. :poke:

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Douhac, which isn't a name I would choose, but isn't one I'd comment on if somebody else chose it in a game I was in.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yes.

You will find very few doors equipped with letter slots in the USA.

Mail is either delivered to a curbside receptacle 

Isn't that a bit insecure? Have your mail out on the street where anyone could take it? Or do the little boxes lock?

20 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Here is a "done to the max" US mailbox [this one is just down the road from me]

mU5L1Cx.jpg

I'm sure that's supposed to be an engine or something, but all I'm seeing is WALL-E ::D:

16 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

When it's -30C, the last thing I would want is a hole in my door. The US climate isn't really very similar (in most places) to any UK climate. Additionally, US lot sizes run significantly larger than those in most of the UK, so mail is generally delivered from a vehicle rather than on foot. And walking from the postal vehicle up to each front door in turn would probably require at least 50% more postal carriers.

Plus I don't especially want a place for someone to drop things into my house.

I consider myself educated :poke: We have a tiny, mostly boringly temperature little island here. I can't even imagine having to routinely deal with temperatures that extreme.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Isn't that a bit insecure? Have your mail out on the street where anyone could take it? Or do the little boxes lock?

It is, but there's generally not a problem. In part that's because interference with the mail is a federal felony, but mostly it's just a cultural thing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Mine's one of a set of boxes at the front of the apartment building, in our foyer.  When we lived in a house, they put it in the mailbox.  Mailbox delivery is something that's been partially phased out in Canada though, they now have "SuperBoxes", which are, uhm... Not super.  Very little fits in the darn things, even the "parcel sized" box.

So I "cheat" and have most of my mail delivered to my FlexDelivery address, which is short for "we email you when it shows up at the post office, because we were going to take it there anyways.  Now you don't have to wait an extra day to get it"

12 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:
  • A stabilized camera (tripod, sandbag, or bag of rice can each work).

Just a quick addition to this - if your camera has in body image stabilization (aka "IBIS", either mechanical or electrical)...  Use a tabletop tripod or other methods like what Doug mentioned.  IBIS is nice, it's handy, but life is just easier if the camera itself is stable, especially if you're trying to take pictures of miniatures.  IBIS sure is handy for street photography though.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1