Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

I have received a jury duty summons. This is the first time I've ever received one. I know it's my civic duty to be one, and I should be happy to do it, but I'm really not...

I have received 4 summonses so far. Of them, one I didn't serve because I'd moved out of state, and the other I called the night before and they said they didn't need me.

Of the other two, one I did go in for, I wasn't picked for the jury, and the other I go in for tomorrow. We'll see if I get picked for a case or if I'll spend the day studying. I don't even get the $15 for lunch I got last time. Apparently NYC gives $40, but only if your work doesn't pay you for jury duty, and mine does. So, I guess I'll be buying my own lunch tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Davasi or Croasi. That works actually... Hmmm... Kinda sounds like a tiefling name. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Summcd

Doesn't really roll off the tongue...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I never understood the point of baby talk. You sound like an idiot. Are you trying to teach them to talk like an idiot? Just talk to them normally, using normal words. They'll learn faster.

>jumps off soap box<

To be fair, babies can be ridiculously cute, and most people's brains shut down in the face of that kind of cuteness. 

Me, I just use nonsense words on a daily basis anyway. Thos little girl has no chance at being anything but weird :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Just a quick addition to this - if your camera has in body image stabilization (aka "IBIS", either mechanical or electrical)...  Use a tabletop tripod or other methods like what Doug mentioned.  IBIS is nice, it's handy, but life is just easier if the camera itself is stable, especially if you're trying to take pictures of miniatures.  IBIS sure is handy for street photography though.

Some generations of Vibration Reduction (every camera company calls their stabilization something different) can cause problems when used on a tripod. If you're using a tripod, consider turning it off if that's something you can do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Some generations of Vibration Reduction (every camera company calls their stabilization something different) can cause problems when used on a tripod. If you're using a tripod, consider turning it off if that's something you can do.

True.  I was mainly referring to sensor-shifting forms of stabilization, but lens stabilization is even pickier.  Thankfully for my camera, turning IBIS off also turns off the optical stabilization ^_^  Now that I'm starting to actually use a tripod more often, I really should set a hotkey for turning Dual I.S.2 on and off.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Woah, wait a minute here. I know that we practically live in different worlds, but are you actually saying that you don't have letter box slot in your door in the U.S.? :blink:

I don’t. 

But since suggesting it to @Unruly I started researching it. I tried calling US Post Awful customer service to ask what the regs are for my zip code (because I have an idea it varies by postal code and delivery route). 

I discovered that USPS is in competition with the US IRS to see which can generate the longest wait time on hold after wading through a complex automated menu (clearly this is some kind of event with medals at stake) USPS threatened a hold time exceeding one hour with Loud yet very generic on-hold Muzak. (I gave up judging the event after about 17 minutes.)

The hardware for such is sold in the US. 

Not yet sure I could switch my mailbox to such a thing. I found something on the USPS webpages that indicated ...maybe yes. 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, TGP said:

I don’t. 

But since suggesting it to @Unruly I started researching it. I tried calling US Post Awful customer service to ask what the regs are for my zip code (because I have an idea it varies by postal code and delivery route). 

I discovered that USPS is in competition with the US IRS to see which can generate the longest wait time on hold after wading through a complex automated menu (clearly this is some kind of event with medals at stake) USPS threatened a hold time exceeding one hour with Loud yet very generic on-hold Muzak. (I gave up judging the event after about 17 minutes.)

The hardware for such is sold in the US. 

Not yet sure I could switch my mailbox to such a thing. I found something on the USPS webpages that indicated ...maybe yes. 

My dad, having worked for the USPS for more than 30 years, has told me that the basics of how it works is you can move your mailbox closer to the curb, but you can't move it back further. And once it's moved forward you can't decide to move it back to its old spot. I was tempted to switch to a big curbside box but decided against it because of that.

I don't know any specifics about door slots, though. But I'd imagine that if you don't have one now, you wouldn't be able to use one if you got it.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Apple might win that one. I had to wait 6 hours for them during one of my calls (policy was adamant about warm transferring customers to them, was not allowed to put customer on the line and let them wait by themselves).

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I did not know that I always wanted to know that. 

That is an accurate description of many of the things Doug posts. ::D:

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I never understood the point of baby talk. You sound like an idiot. Are you trying to teach them to talk like an idiot? Just talk to them normally, using normal words. They'll learn faster.

>jumps off soap box<

*climbs up onto language soap box*

While that is true once a child reaches a certain point in their language development, there really is a linguistic point to "Motherese" (I didn't name it that, and fathers do it too of course, that's just the term used for it when I was in my SLP program). The language is simpler, the pace is slower, and the pitch is higher. These changes not only allow more time for the baby to process what was said, it also signals to them that they are the one being spoken to, and they will be more likely to attend. There also tends to be a LOT of repetition, which again is helpful for language acquisition. 

*hops off soapbox*

Or if you're referring to the "Ooo aht a coo bebe ooo are! Is tumtum hungee, es him is!" variety, then by all means keep being annoyed at it (and I'll join you), lol. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Cell phones have very short lenses. This means that they have very short hyperfocal distances. A modern cell phone is a very good choice for taking pictures of miniatures.

Here's the really simple recipe:

• Gray background so your camera doesn't get notions about "fixing" the color temperature or exposure. Gray craft foam works very well.
  • Two of the same light, one on either side of the figure and in front at about 45° to either side of a line from camera to mini and in as close as possible without getting in the way of the photo. (You'll be cropping, so don't worry if they're in the edges of the frame.)
  • A stabilized camera (tripod, sandbag, or bag of rice can each work).
  • Shoot the picture. If the shot doesn't have enough depth of field, move back a bit.
  • Crop away everything that doesn't matter, leaving only a bit of a border.

For a bigger camera, use a short-ish lens (12 - 35mm or so) and back up a bit. Use a narrow (high number) aperture. Crop as above.

For more, see this thread:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55357-miniatures-photography-101

Note that if you want "creative", this ain't it. :poke:

Douhac, which isn't a name I would choose, but isn't one I'd comment on if somebody else chose it in a game I was in.

That forum topic, while interesting  does not give the hard numbers I desire for focal distance.  I have read most of the topic as well as a number of other photography websites.  I follow the instruction (though I prefer other color backgrounds and know how to deal with them. )  

I am limited in the amount of space i can back up from my work and I want the close up.  All I really want is for a formula for a Cannon EOS with a standard 35mm lens.  If you need the f stop at 11 and are 1 foot from your focal point what is the number of inches before and after the focus that the image reamains sharp.  It really shouldn't be that hard.  At this point I would be happy with a formula that says what the band is based on lens, f stop and distance.  I can find all sorts of information on the exact distance of the focus but nothing about how much space there is before it gets fuzzy, other than that the focus band is '1/3 to 1/2 in front of the focus point as well as behind.'  Which is pretty obvious, what I can't find is what the size of that band is for a given distance

In other words, everything I have read about f stops is full of suggestions and lacking math and there really isn't a beast that is more fixed by mathematics than the properties of light.  By rights there ought to be charts all over the place showing the focal range and focal band based on iso, Fstop and focus adjustment.  These are things that should be easy spreadsheets, the characteristics of light don't change.

Enough griping, when I get frustrated enough I will wring the basic equation out of Cannon and build it myself, it just really annoys me that such a thing doesn't exist.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

That is an accurate description of many of the things Doug posts. ::D:

While that is true once a child reaches a certain point in their language development, there really is a linguistic point to "Motherese" (I didn't name it that, and fathers do it too of course, that's just the term used for it when I was in my SLP program). The language is simpler, the pace is slower, and the pitch is higher. These changes not only allow more time for the baby to process what was said, it also signals to them that they are the one being spoken to, and they will be more likely to attend. There also tends to be a LOT of repetition, which again is helpful for language acquisition. 

*hops off soapbox*

Or if you're referring to the "Ooo aht a coo bebe ooo are! Is tumtum hungee, es him is!" variety, then by all means keep being annoyed at it (and I'll join you), lol. 

Huzzah! 

I think he's referring to the second one, which is basically using a child to feel superior.  Though in truth it still follows the child rules of cadence and repetition and ensures the child's attention.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

GLIAMA!

*** Woops I just summoned a Demon by saying that..***

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

*hops off soapbox*

Huzzah! 

You expressed what I was getting at in a much better fashion.

And yes, I was totally referring to the bolded part.

27 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

GLIAMA!

*** Woops I just summoned a Demon by saying that..***

Best put it to work. A bored demon can get awfully destructive .

ETA---about mailboxes---both of my grandparents had mail slots in the door when I was growing up in New England. I don't think I've seen one in quite some time, though.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Kurnip....that sounds like a hybrid vegetable :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9