Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

13 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Jonboj, not a great name, but pronounceable at least. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

That forum topic, while interesting  does not give the hard numbers I desire for focal distance.  I have read most of the topic as well as a number of other photography websites.  I follow the instruction (though I prefer other color backgrounds and know how to deal with them. )  

I am limited in the amount of space i can back up from my work and I want the close up.  All I really want is for a formula for a Cannon EOS with a standard 35mm lens.  If you need the f stop at 11 and are 1 foot from your focal point what is the number of inches before and after the focus that the image reamains sharp.  It really shouldn't be that hard.  At this point I would be happy with a formula that says what the band is based on lens, f stop and distance.  I can find all sorts of information on the exact distance of the focus but nothing about how much space there is before it gets fuzzy, other than that the focus band is '1/3 to 1/2 in front of the focus point as well as behind.'  Which is pretty obvious, what I can't find is what the size of that band is for a given distance

In other words, everything I have read about f stops is full of suggestions and lacking math and there really isn't a beast that is more fixed by mathematics than the properties of light.  By rights there ought to be charts all over the place showing the focal range and focal band based on iso, Fstop and focus adjustment.  These are things that should be easy spreadsheets, the characteristics of light don't change.

Enough griping, when I get frustrated enough I will wring the basic equation out of Cannon and build it myself, it just really annoys me that such a thing doesn't exist.

For a T4i or similar Canon with a 35mm lens at f/11:

Subject distance 1 ft

Depth of field 

Near limit 0.95 ft

Far limit 1.05 ft

Total 0.09 ft

In front of subject 0.05 ft (48%)

Behind subject 0.05 ft (52%)

Hyperfocal distance 18.8 ft

Circle of confusion 0.019 mm

From here:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Which is a calculator, so change values as needed.

ETA: The depth of field noted above is for the standard definition of "acceptable sharpness". The actual plane of focus has no thickness and everything not precisely on that plane will have more or less blur. The more you zoom in (which functionally includes cropping), the more blur you will see at any point not on the plane. But if your definition of acceptable sharpness is different, it's easy enough to add a scaling factor to the numbers the calculator comes up with.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:
1 hour ago, Sanael said:

P is a difficult letter for lizardfolk. As are B, F, M, and V. Lizard lips aren't as agile as human's.

This is never going to be pronounceable...

TGPTAC <_< :upside: :wacko:

That doesn’t even work for a Lizardman name.  ::(:

So it's pronounced Tig [spray/spit] Tac....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I woke up this morning with Moonage Daydream stuck in my head. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, TGP said:

An alternative Quick-!-name-that-character rule, again utilizing most recent place one ordered food:

First three letters of an item ordered

+

Last three letters of the establishment

=

Character name

New character: Sanway!

It sounds like a sexy naturopathic doctor, or a feminine hygiene product.

[Ladies, when you feel... you know, not so "fresh", think of me. Sanway.]

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

16 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Binky was a company that made pacifiers.

Like Zipper, the name stuck - though, oddly, it stuck longer in England, even though I think Binky was an American company. (Boston or New York, I think. Maybe both.)

The Auld Grump - Megan has been playing with my computer again.... ::D: Waiting on one more player before the game begins. (Detention, I gather.)

I’m starting to doubt that you are genuinely two people, and not just one really dedicated Internet performance artist. :poke:

13 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

First 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of the last place you ate out at or ordered food from = Your next adventurers name.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Petoga? :huh:

not so sure I’m a fan.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yes.

You will find very few doors equipped with letter slots in the USA.

Mail is either delivered to a curbside receptacle of US Postal Service specification or a Gang Box where there are a series of pigeon holes and parcel lockers, with each address having a key for the designated pigeon hole for their mail.

In the more rural areas there is a designated delivery point for mail and all the local residents set up their own mailbox in a rough line as close to the designated point as practical.

GEM

This is true, but can also vary by region.

my last few residences all used locked “gang” mailboxes, as Doug described, but my parents’ house, and most of the neighboring homes all have mail slots in the front door.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

For a T4i or similar Canon with a 35mm lens at f/11:

Subject distance 1 ft

Depth of field 

Near limit 0.95 ft

Far limit 1.05 ft

Total 0.09 ft

In front of subject 0.05 ft (48%)

Behind subject 0.05 ft (52%)

Hyperfocal distance 18.8 ft

Circle of confusion 0.019 mm

From here:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Which is a calculator, so change values as needed.

ETA: The depth of field noted above is for the standard definition of "acceptable sharpness". The actual plane of focus has no thickness and everything not precisely on that plane will have more or less blur. The more you zoom in (which functionally includes cropping), the more blur you will see at any point not on the plane. But if your definition of acceptable sharpness is different, it's easy enough to add a scaling factor to the numbers the calculator comes up with.

Cool I'll check it out!  Thanks! 

Definitely explains why I can't get the picture I want with the distance I have

It even has my tables that I was looking for!  Doug you are a marvel!  Thank you very much.

Edited by Kangaroorex
went and looked
  • Like 8

I remember one of the places we lived when I was young had a mail slot in the door.  I don't remember where.

One of the places we lived had a small mailbox (just the right size for a normal envelope, maybe two or three inches thick) attached to the front of the house.  This was in a historic neighborhood and I don't think anyone had curb-side mailboxes.

Most of the places we lived were apartment or townhome complexes so they all had the locked "gang" mailboxes.

I'm currently living in the only place I've ever had a private curb-side mailbox.  (They do make curb-side mailboxes with slots and locks on them to prevent other people from stealing your mail.  This isn't a concern I've ever had.  When we replaced our mailbox, I went with one with larger storage, mostly because the postman kept forcing in things that said "do not bend!".  On a plus side, most of my small Reaper orders now fit in the mailbox.)

• Like 12

14 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Let's see...

Shaton.

Nope, not too keen on that one.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

An alternative Quick-!-name-that-character rule, again utilizing most recent place one ordered food:

+

=

Character name

...Chiill.

Marginally better, but not great.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

Waiting at the doctor’s office for a routine visit.

woooo.

:mellow:

• Like 9

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Or if you're referring to the "Ooo aht a coo bebe ooo are! Is tumtum hungee, es him is!" variety, then by all means keep being annoyed at it (and I'll join you), lol. 

We used to know someone who spoke like that because she thought it made her cute. She's almost 30. We don't hang out anymore.... :lol: 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

+

=

Character name

Pizzza.

Wonder what I had last night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

16 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

We used to know someone who spoke like that because she thought it made her cute. She's almost 30. We don't hang out anymore.... :lol: 

There was a guy at my work who engaged in baby talk a lot. It was one of the less irritating things about him. 

Today is baby's two week appointment, where we see how big she has gotten. I'm guessing she'll be over 8 pounds at this point.

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Because we want the baby to try and imitate them, and babies can't make the same number of different sounds as adults?

Actually, babies are phonetically capable of producing any sound in any spoken language. As time goes on, the brain weeds out the neural pathways for linguistic sounds it doesn't hear and reinforces the pathways for sounds it hears a lot of. Which is why acquiring another language is easy for kids but gets harder as you get older (though not impossible, because our amazing brains have this incredible property called neuroplasticity). /linguisticsnerd

14 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Time for a game.

Mine will be Darpiz.

Onechi. 

Hm, sounds like a Japanese snack, or possibly dessert. I'll take it! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

41 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Cool I'll check it out!  Thanks! 

Definitely explains why I can't get the picture I want with the distance I have

It won't be quite right, but you can get an approximation of using a cell phone if you minimize the focal length (3mm in the calculator) and set the aperture to around f/2.4. Cell phones really are a good choice for miniatures photography.

41 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

It even has my tables that I was looking for!  Doug you are a marvel!  Thank you very much.

Happy to help. In many cases, the hard bit isn't finding the answer, it's framing the question.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1