Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

38 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I concur - CO's was definitely better than what I experienced in CA.    In CA, I ended up sitting in the jury pool room all day, only to finally be sent home later in the day.  Or worse, the couple times where I had to call in the night before, only to be told "call in again tomorrow." 

In CO, the time I got seated on the jury, I knew I was going to be on it by noon.   The other time, I was home before lunch, after being dismissed by the prosecutor. 

Still waiting to see what it's like here in IA.  We moved to a relatively small county, so I am expecting that I'll get called more often than I did elsewhere, but two years in, and still no summons.  (Hmm...maybe I shouldn't have said that.)

I dont know what its like in the other parts of the state but when I got called in Keokuk I got as far as signing into the jury room.  They asked my occupation, I said engineer, they said go home.  At the time I was happy to vacate but have always been curious what the city had against engineers...

I never got called again in that state either.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I was right! 8lbs 1.8oz. And she has a big head; I don't recall the measurement, but her head is in the 91st percentile (whatever that means) for baby heads. Hopefully, that means she'll be smart. 

I'll get her a bubble pipe and a monocle to test her smartness :lol:

Pinky and the Brain, Pinky and the Brain!

One of them's a genius,

The other's insane.

At least I know what rotted my brain! Animaniacs was SOOO good! ::D:

19 hours ago, redambrosia said:

To be fair, babies can be ridiculously cute, and most people's brains shut down in the face of that kind of cuteness. 

Me, I just use nonsense words on a daily basis anyway. Thos little girl has no chance at being anything but weird :lol:

It's the tone, not the words.

Grump can put BD to sleep with no words at all, just this low croon. ::): Works on me when I am tired too.

And babies have an easier time imitating the "baby talk" that the parents do with them. Simplified vocabulary for the very young.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I want suggestions for introducing a fifty year old woman to film noir.

Until Grump I had never seen film noir, mostly because Mum has never watched any film noir.

I am starting tonight with Third Man and Strangers on a Train, best foot forward and all that. ::):

Third Man was SOOO good!

But after that I come up a bit blank, and I don't want to ask Grump because I will get a list fifty yards long. <_<

• Like 6

My film noir experience is sadly lacking.

Does "The 39 Steps" (directed by Hitchcock, an early film of his) count as film noir?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Until Grump I had never seen film noir, mostly because Mum has never watched any film noir.

I am starting tonight with Third Man and Strangers on a Train, best foot forward and all that. ::):

Third Man was SOOO good!

But after that I come up a bit blank, and I don't want to ask Grump because I will get a list fifty yards long. <_<

The Big Sleep, Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon come to mind.

There's a reasonable argument for including Casablanca because of the cinematography, but the tone might be a bit off.

I think The 39 Steps would fit reasonably well into film noir, but I'm not sure whether a film buff would agree.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The Big Sleep, Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon come to mind.

There's a reasonable argument for including Casablanca because of the cinematography, but the tone might be a bit off.

I think The 39 Steps would fit reasonably well into film noir, but I'm not sure whether a film buff would agree.

I agree with most of this, and I would put Steps on the list for sure.

Given the age of your target, and because they're very good films on their own merits, you might also include Chinatown (1974) and LA Confidential (1997). LA Confidential is a bit past true noir, but it's clearly built on the shoulders of the genre.

It's very modern-actioner, but a recent entry in the pseudo-noir field is Atomic Blonde. It holds a lot of noir themes (double/triple-crossing, mistaken and misleading identity, general futility) and is beautifully set in the most noir of all noir times and locations: Berlin on the eve of the Wall coming down.

(Divided Berlin is the one thing I think is canonically missing from Eberron, I think it would be very fun to build a campaign at the Droaam/Breland border, around Graywall-as-Berlin. Could potentially use the Thrane/Breland border, but my Eberron campaigns haven't established Thrane as quite that strangleheld-by-theocracy. Too bad there's no Karrnath/Aundair border.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Third Man was SOOO good!

Does Casablanca count?

If not, there’s always The Maltese Falcon. Gooooood Bogart.

• Like 5

At the dentist for a semi annual cleaning and butt chewing for the condition of my teeth. Visit will likely end up with more appointments scheduled to fix issues discovered and drain wallet.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

6 years is nice. We only get a year's exemption here. But sitting in a jury room for a whole day in case they need you would be unpleasant. ½ of one, 6 dozen of the other.

It was, but I put it to good use... Mostly. 

I'd kinda like to actually be on a jury, but date has yet to let it happen.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

It was, but I put it to good use... Mostly. 

I'd kinda like to actually be on a jury, but date has yet to let it happen.

The one time I made it into voir dire (as one of the first 12) I was the first person excused on a peremptory challenge.

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a bit opinionated and I'm entirely willing to express that. :rolleyes: It seems that lawyers don't like that.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I just saw on the front page that the coral golem is listed as a new release. I bought one in retail packaging at a local shop something like a year ago, if not longer. Did they make a change to it that required a rerelease?

Tomorrow morning I go in for what should hopefully be a root canal, but if the dentist decides otherwise will just be the placing of my permanent crown on a tooth. I say hopefully because I really want the root canal done. Last year I had a filling replaced on the tooth behind it, and this tooth hurt like hell for weeks afterwards. Then a few weeks ago they did the prep work for crowning this tooth, and for the last 3 weeks I've been unable to use the left side of my mouth and have been eating ibuprofen like candy just to stay functional because the pain has been fairly debilitating. The only time my mouth has hurt more than this is when I had 2 exposed nerves from where I broke my front teeth.

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I dont know what its like in the other parts of the state but when I got called in Keokuk I got as far as signing into the jury room.  They asked my occupation, I said engineer, they said go home.  At the time I was happy to vacate but have always been curious what the city had against engineers...

They don't want anyone there smarter than they are.:devil:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I just saw on the front page that the coral golem is listed as a new release. I bought one in retail packaging at a local shop something like a year ago, if not longer. Did they make a change to it that required a rerelease?

Remember stores get Kickstarter pledges so they can sell them straight away, rather than waiting for the official release.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I mentioned it as an issue in the new website thread, but have yet to get any reply regarding such.  For some reason, we're seeing stuff upwards of a year old being listed as "new", while the actually new releases aren't event showcased.  Given that they don't announce the new releases on the forums anymore, it's rather frustrating. 

6 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Remember stores get Kickstarter pledges so they can sell them straight away, rather than waiting for the official release.

Coral golem was released almost a year ago:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81191-reaper-new-releases-june-2018/

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5