Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

11 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*sighs, puts on a jester costume and dances around to keep her occupied for a few minutes*

Much better!

Thanks! :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

That's a neat concept.

I've never tried something like it, but I totally get the idea of allowing player impressions to become reality. I stole wrote some of my best GMing ideas that way.

I have to admit it that I came to the idea in a roundabout fashion - it didn't just occur to me to do it that way. 

Back in 89 I had a campaign end, so my best friend took over DMing duties  to give me a rest, and while playing in his campaign, I was inspired to write a follow up campaign. Wrote this whole campaign that included all these prophecies that were very specific to the PCs and current world situation.   But after his campaign ended, another player took up the mantle, and after that we wound up playing tabletop minis games almost exclusively for awhile. 

Then my best friend hired a new employee whom, it turned out, was looking for a new role-playing group.  He knew I still had this campaign on the back burner, and the two of them had me start a new group.  But I had a problem - I had written the campaign for a specific group of PCs, half of whom weren't going to be in this new group. Plus the new group had a couple more players than the old group.   So I added a bunch more prophecies on the fly, and started the campaign. The first time the players misinterpreted one of the prophecies, I was irritated as heck.  But the second time they did, it made a connection to a bunch of the ones they hadn't even seen yet that was WAY better than my idea, so I threw out most of my playbook, and from that point on, ran with what their ideas inspired. 

After I moved, I ran the next campaign that way with all new players, and it worked even better.  I haven't done one for awhile, and this seems like a good fit for this group of kids.

33 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Take a Bones mini.

Put an exclamation point or question mark on top of it. :lol:

At first I didn't get this.  :blink:

Then I just realized - you're referring to video games where NPCs that give quests to PCs often have a symbol above their head, aren't you?  (not a big video game player)

Assuming I'm right, I think I have to do that now. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I have to admit it that I came to the idea in a roundabout fashion - it didn't just occur to me to do it that way. 

Back in 89 I had a campaign end, so my best friend took over DMing duties  to give me a rest, and while playing in his campaign, I was inspired to write a follow up campaign. Wrote this whole campaign that included all these prophecies that were very specific to the PCs and current world situation.   But after his campaign ended, another player took up the mantle, and after that we wound up playing tabletop minis games almost exclusively for awhile. 

Then my best friend hired a new employee whom, it turned out, was looking for a new role-playing group.  He knew I still had this campaign on the back burner, and the two of them had me start a new group.  But I had a problem - I had written the campaign for a specific group of PCs, half of whom weren't going to be in this new group. Plus the new group had a couple more players than the old group.   So I added a bunch more prophecies on the fly, and started the campaign. The first time the players misinterpreted one of the prophecies, I was irritated as heck.  But the second time they did, it made a connection to a bunch of the ones they hadn't even seen yet that was WAY better than my idea, so I threw out most of my playbook, and from that point on, ran with what their ideas inspired. 

After I moved, I ran the next campaign that way with all new players, and it worked even better.  I haven't done one for awhile, and this seems like a good fit for this group of kids.

Like I said, it's a cool idea for a campaign structure. I don't know when/if it will come up, but my players will be so glad I thought of it. :devil:

36 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

At first I didn't get this.  :blink:

Then I just realized - you're referring to video games where NPCs that give quests to PCs often have a symbol above their head, aren't you?  (not a big video game player)

Assuming I'm right, I think I have to do that now. 

I just assumed she was suggesting that you build a portrait mini of @Cyradis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, klarg1 said:

Like I said, it's a cool idea for a campaign structure. I don't know when/if it will come up, but my players will be so glad I thought of it. :devil:

I just assumed she was suggesting that you build a portrait mini of @Cyradis.

Hi Good Adventurer! Do you need a quest? I could really use your help! Please fetch me three chocolates, and a mug of tea! But beware - there are BEARS in the tea trees! 

But actually... I do need help. I HAVE A QUEST GUYS. 

Anyone want to record some voice clips for me to use in my D&D campaign? 

I need a stern female voice to be Wee Jas, whispering to my librarian (who's ~3-4 adventures out of getting a character whoopin/reward), and a kind female voice to be the spirit of the dog's former master (urging dog to protect the pack, and rescue said librarian). 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

I can do mean, nasty, foul mouthed drill instructor!

Probably not helpful, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

19 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I can do mean, nasty, foul mouthed drill instructor!

Probably not helpful, huh?

Uhh... it might be. I'll get back to you on that. I haven't decided yet on if I want the assassin voiced, or the pursuing ranger and hexblade. I know what script is needed for the other two. 

• Like 7

I'm zonked. Is it time for bed yet?

It's Lucy's birthday. She's 13. I made some pupcakes for her, but I'm waiting for my bride to come home before giving it to her. 

• Like 11

I have been painting so much, but it's all proof of concept for the next video I'm working on. (Proof: That green can be mixed solely using yellow and black - not only a dull khaki green as here, but also bright lime green. It's pretty cool.)

I should be able to post it pretty soon.

Meanwhile, here's Reaper's cute little Bones Basilisk looking like a grumpy puppy.

DSC_1575.jpg.2d088821bf17e7a98ab6ffa96753568f.jpg

DSC_1576.jpg.4b044e0d7b779247b13a68d3b331a868.jpg

• Like 21

And I am now awake with the same tooth pain I had before... just to a slightly lesser extent. Still can't chew with the left side because of explosive pain, and there's still just the ever present pain that makes me eat ibuprofen, but being sensitive to room temperature water isn't happening anymore. So it's an improvement, I guess. Reading online said that it's most likely caused by the surrounding nerves and stuff in my gums and jaw being inflamed and aggravated due to the work, and this came from the American Association of Endodontists website so I'm pretty sure it's not wrong. I'll give it the weekend to see if it clears up, but if it's still painful come Tuesday I'll be calling my dentist. And if further work needs done, then I'm not going to be a happy camper at all unless they comp the new crown that will be needed after they drill through the brand new permanent crown that was just installed today.

• Sad 10

11 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I haven't read the stories, so I had to go looking. The short answer seems to be "No". The longer answer is that both Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars were apparently based on The Red Harvest.

See also: Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis.

• Like 4

Saw one of my bees fly off to forage this afternoon despite the rainy weather which made me happy. She came out, flew up, did several circles to get her bearings, then made, well, a beeline for parts unknown.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2