Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

See, I just tried the hammer and while the knockdown is good, I couldn't get the hang of the secondary attack. And the attacks themselves are just so danged slow that it was hard to time them on a moving target. And since pretty much nothing stands still once you're past the lesser stuff, that makes it hard to fight.

I thought so at first too, and was reluctant to use the hammer on the faster critters (like the embermane or that annoying wasp). But once I got used to it, I found that the damage and staggering is sooooo worth it! The heavy attack can be used to knock them down when they charge at you (it's so satisfying to see them flip over and land on their stupid faces), then you can go pummel the heck out of them. 

Of course, I have my hubby to help me figure this stuff out. He's a wiz at learning game mechanics. If he hadn't figured out the knock down thing, I'd still be just using the chain blade. I get too impatient with stuff like that to figure it out. 

Give the hammer a try on the skarn (lizard dude, covered in rocks). He doesn't move around as much as the others, and using a hammer really helps smash off those rocks. Whalloping that one is when I really started to get the hang of it myself. The combo you want is square, square, square, triangle. It's not listed in the moves, but that one turns the last hit (triangle) into a massive smash and refills the charges on the hammer automatically.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, hubby and I are playing that right now! (Okay, we're actually in a loading screen :rolleyes: ) We're having fun with it so far!

I'm breastfeeding. (Because it's freeeeeeee!) But, I can't stand beer. The smell is just awful.

in todays world of universal everything, they do make brewers yeast tablets and capsules... all the micronutrients none of the fun ::D:

On the other hand you might try one of the Belgian brews or some of the stronger goodies out there like Sami-Klaus or Dragons Milk.  Depending on what your thoughts about whats wrong with beer, these can solve some of those issues (mine is that most IPA these days taste like i am drinking the liquid strained off of leaf clippings, but that is just me, I have friends who cant get enough.  I drink the belgian style because it tends to be sweeter and very malty rather than hoppy.)

15 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Having done that a few times/years, feel free to PM me if you want advice or to complain or whatever.  It feels like it should be instinctive, but it's really a learned skill.

Tongue set firmly in cheek:  Breastfeeding or drinking beer?  I have had the comment related to both...

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

in todays world of universal everything, they do make brewers yeast tablets and capsules... all the micronutrients none of the fun ::D:

On the other hand you might try one of the Belgian brews or some of the stronger goodies out there like Sami-Klaus or Dragons Milk.  Depending on what your thoughts about whats wrong with beer, these can solve some of those issues (mine is that most IPA these days taste like i am drinking the liquid strained off of leaf clippings, but that is just me, I have friends who cant get enough.  I drink the belgian style because it tends to be sweeter and very malty rather than hoppy.)

I'm so tired of IPAs. I never liked them to begin with, and because everyone and their uncle are making 3 different IPAs, plus seasonal IPAs, plus the occasional double IPA there isn't nearly enough room on the shelf/tap for some actual good beer. 

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Tongue set firmly in cheek:  Breastfeeding or drinking beer?  I have had the comment related to both...

:devil:

So fried after 2 days working in the sun and heat with the public. At least I'm home, there's yummy ice cream in the fridge, and beer... good beer... Plus D&D in an hour! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cut down two trees and celebrated not destroying things with two gin and tonics. I’m such a cheap drunk. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

oh IPAs the beer that's made wrong on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I thought so at first too, and was reluctant to use the hammer on the faster critters (like the embermane or that annoying wasp). But once I got used to it, I found that the damage and staggering is sooooo worth it! The heavy attack can be used to knock them down when they charge at you (it's so satisfying to see them flip over and land on their stupid faces), then you can go pummel the heck out of them. 

Of course, I have my hubby to help me figure this stuff out. He's a wiz at learning game mechanics. If he hadn't figured out the knock down thing, I'd still be just using the chain blade. I get too impatient with stuff like that to figure it out. 

Give the hammer a try on the skarn (lizard dude, covered in rocks). He doesn't move around as much as the others, and using a hammer really helps smash off those rocks. Whalloping that one is when I really started to get the hang of it myself. The combo you want is square, square, square, triangle. It's not listed in the moves, but that one turns the last hit (triangle) into a massive smash and refills the charges on the hammer automatically.

The thing that throws me off the most with the hammer is that the ammo is where every other weapon has their special bar, so I want to trigger it with the same button and it doesn't work. But I'll have to give it a better chance. So far I used the sword like twice, tried the chain blades, axe, and hammer once each, and then just stuck with the pike because I was able to just work with it. The only problem I have with the pike is the charging up of the special shot, because it makes it really hard to counter a charge, because it takes so long, and it's the only way for the pike to counter a charge. Unless it's the Shrike or the Skraev, who I've pretty much learned the pattern of and know when they're going to do their flyby attack, I have almost 0% chance of pulling off the counter.

Also, yes, that wasp is the most annoying thing I've fought so far. It's also the only thing that has ever 1-shot me even when I was above level for it. It hit me with a charge and it dropped my health by like 90%, through a 250 health shield. It didn't actually drop me, but it did enough damage that if I hadn't had the shield I'd have dropped.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5

So, my day spent at the river was fun. Hung out with my friends, cooked ribs, and swam a bit. The ribs came out awesome, too. I was kind of worried, because the only other time I've ever made ribs on a grill I ruined a full slab of babybacks and turned them into the most delicious piece of leather you ever ate. I wasn't so much worried about that this time, because I knew what I did wrong, but I was worried about the grill being overcrowded because it's just a little portable charcoal grill and I had 6lbs of country ribs to throw on it.

Turns out I didn't really need to worry. Most of them fit on a single layer, and then I only had like 3 that had to be stacked on top. I threw a ton of soaked wood chips on top of the charcoal(Applewood and hickory in about 2:1), closed the vents off almost completely, and turned the grill into a miniature smoker. I rotated the meat around about an hour and half in, and then about two and a half hours after they first went on one of my friends wanted to be the first test subject. It was able to be pulled apart by hand, so I knew I'd succeeded on that front. And the smoke was amazing. It was all over each piece, and most of them had that nice, crisp crust on the outside. I was very pleased with how they turned out.

That little charcoal grill has only been used about 10 times in the last year, and just about every time has been for pork, but it's definitely paying for itself. I don't want to cook anything pork on my gas grill anymore, and I'm contemplating doing some chicken on the charcoal now too.

• Like 15

D&D was a success. The party managed to slay the pair of manticores with some really lucky crits. And a fireball cast by a level 8 wizard. We'll see how they do against the elemental cultists!  

• Like 15

Second migraine in 3 days. I'm over this. Technically haven't finished moving out because no one was in the office to take our keys. We might be able to get in and retrieve the last few items we had to leave behind. I can't go back though, leaving the first time was hard enough. So that's up to Husband to deal with. 

• Sad 13

When I was a kid the parental and grand parental units knew that I would like Spinach.  I watched the Popeye cartoon. Popeye ate spinach. Could not pronounce it but enthusiastically chomped it. 

But I failed to like Spinach. From cans. Like in the cartoon. 

~~~~~~~

I also disliked Baloney as a kid. I learned to ask for ham or other things. 

~~~~~~~

Today I like Spinach if nobody ruined it by canning it. 

But it turns out; I still dislike Baloney. WalMart gifted me with about two pounds of someone else’s Baloney the other day. 

It’s just like in the TV commercial, they bring stuff out, stuff it in your car, & off you go. Nobody is ticking off anything against a list. 

So I tried some free Baloney. :wacko: :mellow: My inner child had that correct all along. 

~~~~~~~

Something I did Order was called chocolate brioche. I had no idea what it was exactly when I ordered it. But...

turns out I like it. 

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, TGP said:

I also disliked Baloney as a kid. I learned to ask for ham or other things. 

~

But it turns out; I still dislike Baloney. WalMart gifted me with about two pounds of someone else’s Baloney the other day. 

It’s just like in the TV commercial, they bring stuff out, stuff it in your car, & off you go. Nobody is ticking off anything against a list. 

So I tried some free Baloney. :wacko: :mellow: My inner child had that correct all along. 

Have you tried frying the bologna? Like you would a slice of ham. I don't particularly care for it that way either, but some people do. About the only time I eat bologna is when it's part of a multi-meat thing with at least ham as well, or if I get the cold cut combo at subway, where it serves as the protein in what is otherwise a salad when I'm done with it.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, OneBoot said:

@eldamir beat me to it, lol. 

Most members are referred to as Brother or Sister (last name), missionaries as Elder or Sister (last name), local bishops as Bishop (last name), and our prophet and president of the church as President (last name). Kids are usually just called by first names, but the use of Brother or Sister is still appropriate (and usually makes them giggle ^_^). 

It took me quite awhile after getting married to get used to being called something different, lol. 

I think you might be right. I not only pulled the curtains firmly shut again last night, I pushed my husband's suitcase against them to make sure they stayed. I did turn on the bathroom light, but to no avail. The curtain gap returned, the suitcase was pulled away from the window and the light was switched off when the morning grayness cheerfully woke me up again. (I suspect our gnome may be called MrBoot lol). 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

A couple of clothes pins will solve the gappy curtain problm.

Personally I use S-Beiners bcause I carry those for securing luggage to baggage trollies.

I also carry a Roaming Gnome.

One of the Travelocity Roaming Gnomes who serves as my eyeglasses keeper when they aren't on my face, both at home and when traveling.  Since the gnome has started acting as my eyeglass valet I haven't had any problems fumbling for eyeglasses that aren't ~exactly~ where I would put them down.  I just fold my glasses and place them over his pointy cap, hinge up and he keeps them safe and secure until I wake up.  Serves the same duty both at home and on the road.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

or if I get the cold cut combo at subway, where it serves as the protein in what is otherwise a salad when I'm done with it.

That's how my subs from Subway end up, too.

• Like 5

I have tried several times in my adult life to learn to like liver, in case it would ever be served somewhere we are a guest. I can deal with the flavor, just cannot handle that texture. Never tried it, but does pate have the same texture?

• Like 6