Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I have tried several times in my adult life to learn to like liver, in case it would ever be served somewhere we are a guest. I can deal with the flavor, just cannot handle that texture. Never tried it, but does pate have the same texture?

Pate is softer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Coffee is a lovely way to start the day. 

...Doubly so when you rolled over after turning off the alarm and a full hour magically disappears... 

• Like 8

Good Morning friends on the other side of the pond!

While you're all waking up and struggling to reach that cup of coffee with your eyes still half closed, I'm almost done with my work day.

A mere hour and a half from now I'll be heading home, pick up some groceries on the way and then walk Brutus and make dinner.

I will show some solidarity though, I'm grabbing an espresso now.

Cheers!

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

While you're all waking up and struggling to reach that cup of coffee with your eyes still half closed, I'm almost done with my work day.

A mere hour and a half from now I'll be heading home, pick up some groceries on the way and then walk Brutus and make dinner.

Cheers!

Should we tell the sparkly canine that a lot of us won’t be working today? Or should we let him bask in his “almost done”?

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, Pegazus said:

Should we tell the sparkly canine that a lot of us won’t be working today? Or should we let him bask in his “almost done”?

I wish you all a pleasant day off then.

To show my solidarity once again, I have Thursday and Friday off..:poke:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

Have you tried frying the bologna?

I have not. (In the past I have had fried, grilled, or broiled SPAM but no one that I know ever tried any of those with bologna.)

Currently....I could not do so if I wanted to. 

44 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Should we tell the sparkly canine that a lot of us won’t be working today?

He is closer to shiny than sparkly. 

• Haha 6

On 5/23/2019 at 7:08 PM, Pingo said:

I have been painting so much, but it's all proof of concept for the next video I'm working on. (Proof: That green can be mixed solely using yellow and black - not only a dull khaki green as here, but also bright lime green. It's pretty cool.)

I should be able to post it pretty soon.

Meanwhile, here's Reaper's cute little Bones Basilisk looking like a grumpy puppy.

DSC_1575.jpg.2d088821bf17e7a98ab6ffa96753568f.jpg

DSC_1576.jpg.4b044e0d7b779247b13a68d3b331a868.jpg

Video’s up.

There will be Show Off threads soonTM.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

More Coffee!!

So, instead of studying I've been doing all the other things, and heard a story about the woman who got lost in Hawaii was found after 17 days. 

17 days? Lost? In Hawaii?? WTF? How? She wasn't lost. She was actively trying not to be found. You could walk AROUND the big island in 17 days. She was "lost" in a forest 2.37 square miles in size... That's half a standard D&D hex... How hard is it to just walk down hill. You're on an island. You'll hit beach if you keep going downhill... 

Lost..... UGH. I call BS. 

Kinda reminds me of the Blair Witch Project. Kids lost in the woods for days... in rural Maryland. I've hiked extensively in Maryland. You can't walk that long without hitting some road. Certainly not without supernatural influence. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

55 minutes ago, Crowley said:

More Coffee!!

So, instead of studying I've been doing all the other things, and heard a story about the woman who got lost in Hawaii was found after 17 days. 

17 days? Lost? In Hawaii?? WTF? How? She wasn't lost. She was actively trying not to be found. You could walk AROUND the big island in 17 days. She was "lost" in a forest 2.37 square miles in size... That's half a standard D&D hex... How hard is it to just walk down hill. You're on an island. You'll hit beach if you keep going downhill... 

Kinda reminds me of the Blair Witch Project. Kids lost in the woods for days... in rural Maryland. I've hiked extensively in Maryland. You can't walk that long without hitting some road. Certainly not without supernatural influence. 

I've gone hiking in Hawaii. (Lived there for a year.) I guarantee that you can get lost, especially if you're injured and can't move. Many places the ground is vertical and covered in rainforest. (You wouldn't think that a rainforest could grow on vertical terrain, I bet. :rolleyes:)

Between the ridges and the trees, you can't really be heard calling out for help unless the rescuer is very close.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have tried several times in my adult life to learn to like liver, in case it would ever be served somewhere we are a guest. I can deal with the flavor, just cannot handle that texture. Never tried it, but does pate have the same texture?

pate has many textures, usually depending on the liver it started as.  as a general rule the pate is either a dense dip texture or served as cheese type loaf that has the consistency of a soft Fontana cheese.  the texture is also very cheese like, though it can be a little dryer on the mouth feel depending on the fat content... and there is a lot of fat content!  My wife's recipe for chicken liver pate calls for 3/4 pound of butter and a 1/2 cup of heavy cream with 1 pound of livers.  Dietary food it is not!  Personally, my favorite texture for liver products it the german style sausages (Hieldshimmer and braunschweiger or goose and pork liver cured sausage) and the french cruelty liver which tastes good but I don't eat any more because its creation is a little beyond my ability to stomach.

As for taste and texture (and smell, let's not forget the smell), liver can be cooked to a number of textures and tastes.  Usually, it gets cooked to the texture of very well done beef (and has about the same flavor)  being both tough and dry even when soaked in fat but they can be done to a softer texture with some practice, often resembling the sausages above.  Gentle heating is usually the key and the liver winds up somewhere between a soft and hard boiled egg. The flavor is also less pronounced.  Of course then you have to fry the onions separately and most people cant be bothered. 

Why do i know so much about liver?  because my mother was anemic and her doctor wanted more iron in her diet and my father loved the stuff.  Personally, I will tolerate it if cooked properly but usually find an excuse not to participate if organ meats will be present.

The more important question is why is a host serving you something you dont like?  that seems rather uncouth.

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Cheers!

Ha!  we are on holiday today in the US and I had most of last week off, which has had a salutary effect on my viewpoint ( at least i am not turning in my resignation immediately...) I need to find more reasons to just take some time off.

39 minutes ago, Crowley said:

More Coffee!!

Maybe its a different story but the one I had read about said the woman had a broken ankle and lost one of her shoes.  Speaking as someone who had to pack out of a state park with a twisted ankle on a pretty flat surface, i could see it taking a long while to get somewhere civilized on an island where large chunks are still nature preserve or park, especially when your top speed is around 1/2 mile a day.  The story I read said she was following a stream out and was averaging that speed but she wasn't willing to risk leaving the water source and not being able to get back.

even if its not, if you are panicking, up and down can get really mixed up if you can't see a reference.  And then you have people like my mother and law who got lost in her own house a time or two.  She just has no sense of her bearings or surroundings and the number of times me or my wife have had to call up a map and talk her home after she walked too far or drove somewhere new is uncountable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Tongue set firmly in cheek:  Breastfeeding or drinking beer?  I have had the comment related to both...

I don't like beer.  Have breastfed all five kids, though.  Much more uncommon back in the early 90s, but I was a rebel.  

Ironically you guys brought up liver pate, which is apparently required in my teenage daughter's diet.  I might have to learn to make it myself, that way I can get the exact texture and flavor we prefer.  (Danes eat a lot of pork liver pate.). Iron supplements are unpleasant to have to take. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

No, although that does not guarantee that you'll like the texture of highly-salted meat paste.

Personally, I do not care for the taste of liver, but greatly enjoy a good liverwurst, perhaps spread on fresh, dark bread.

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Video’s up.

There will be Show Off threads soonTM.

So YouTube informs me.

Excellent video. It's fun to learn some of the dark magic of color mixing. Do you endorse any pigment mixing books for beginners?

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Tongue set firmly in cheek:  Breastfeeding or drinking beer?  I have had the comment related to both...

There was a time (60s-70s?) when breastfeeding mothers were encouraged to drink beer. Probably because beer is nutritious in its own way, and kept the mother plenty hydrated.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I don't like beer.  Have breastfed all five kids, though.  Much more uncommon back in the early 90s, but I was a rebel.  

Ironically you guys brought up liver pate, which is apparently required in my teenage daughter's diet.  I might have to learn to make it myself, that way I can get the exact texture and flavor we prefer.  (Danes eat a lot of pork liver pate.). Iron supplements are unpleasant to have to take. 

No kidding. When I was iron deficient, I was told to take 3 iron supplements per day. I could only do 1 every other day without getting erm.... miserably blocked. Increasing how much red meat I eat (~ +1 beef per week) fixed my problem better than the supplements. Might not be enough for everyone, but I sure am glad it worked for me. 

• Like 9