Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Trying to work on a stencil design idea for my folding table. I want it to be more than just the plain gray plastic that it is, so I've enlisted the help of an artist friend. We're thinking a line work representation of Tiamat's heads.

 

I'm probably going to paint the whole table black, then do a circle in the middle for the stencil, then have each head be their correct color. I haven't decided on the color of the circle yet, though, because it's going to be kind of hard. You can't have the circle be red, green, blue, black, or white because of conflicts with the heads, and that rules out a lot of the choices.

 

 

54 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I'm kind of trying to avoid gray. That's the base color of the table, and I don't like it which is why I'm painting it. I was thinking of trying for a nice gold, but I'm not sure if I want Tiamat on a gold background. But then again, I guess she is a dragon...

 

 

42 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Airbrushed rainbow?

Shades of Purple?

Storm clouds?

GEM

Would this work?:

 

@Unruly  make half the circle black; make the other half white. (Divided vertically)

 

The Black head goes on the left half which is White. The White head goes on the right half which is Black. I’m thinking the Red Dragon Head would be the best choice for the middle head that straddles the line. And then, Bright Green on Black, Blue on white. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Edit: That isn't a dig at anyone on the forums, I just don't understand why anyone would get a pet and not bother looking after it properly 

 

This. There's a neighbor in a house on the other side of my apartment complex's fence (thankfully on the other end from us) who has at least one dog (it's hard to tell if the other 1-2 I hear belong to them or other neighbors) that I can't tell whether they keep it outside all the time, or whether it just gets left out there for long stretches at a time, and it starts baying and howling anytime it hears a sound. Like, for example, someone walking in our parking lot, or pulling their keys out of their purse, and it's especially bad if someone closes a car door or starts their car (ask me how I know this <_<). Honestly I've gone past annoyed and now I'm just sad/mad about it, because seriously, why do you even have the dog if it's outside and unhappy so often?! And it's not barking like it's trying to alert about something, it's a drawn out Oooouuuu! repeated over and over, it's heartbreaking.

 

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

mostly it is just terrible overpriced slimfast for tech bros with too much money

 

Perhaps, but MrBoot has been enjoying it, and he mixes it 50/50 with some cheaper stuff (we get it powdered), and given that he takes the same thing for lunch every day, I want him to be happy with what he's eating. :)

 

10 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Long story short, I'm now hearing tiny hungry little cheeps in the juniper right by one of my windows, so there must be a nest there. Both parents fly in and out to feed or to sing. Should be safer, the tree is out of the way of traffic and high enough up that nothing can get to them, though it's on the south side of the building and it's supposed to 31o C today (88o F to you Yanks). Hopefully everything stays good, it's nice to have such colourful singing birds here.

 

Aww, that's so lovely! For the past few years I've enjoyed (and sometimes been annoyed at, they're NOISY) the little sparrows that would nest in the small decorative tree outside our apartment front door. 1-2 times each year for about 2 weeks we'd hear little cheeps, which was a lot of fun. However, this year the landscaping crew went through and ripped out nearly all of the old shrubs and bushes (most of which were pretty scruffy, to be honest) and replaced them. I thought the tree would be spared since it survived the first round of tearing down, but one day it was gone when I got up, and while it's nice to not have to duck around several overgrown shrubberies when I take out the garbage, I do miss hearing the birdies outside our door in the morning. :down:

 

7 hours ago, Mehman said:

Well, looks like I'm back on the forums after a two-year absence. What took me so long? I almost died twice. I told everyone my health wasn't great! But seriously, don't mess around with not knowing you aren't a Type I and Type II diabetic at the same time. With those two hospital visits out of the way and my mental health getting back to semi-normal (I mean, what is normal?), I thought it'd be a good thing to come back around.

 

Welcome back!!!! So glad to hear you're doing better. ^_^

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unruly said:

 

You misunderstand. I was saying that the other guy already has the title to Eladmir's motorcycle. Which means that law enforcement probably can't do anything about that part of it. It can't be reported stolen, because the other guy now has the title in his possession, it was given to him legally, and despite his failure to uphold his end of the transaction it's still not theft. It's most likely a matter of civil law as its essentially a broken contract.

Title obtained by fraud or chicanery is a form of theft.

If Eldamir doesn't have a Clear Title in hand for the project jeep within a reasonable period of time, as defined by the laws of the state he is in and the practices of the DMV then it is theft by fraud.  With nearly any other form of property it would be a civil matter.  Since it is a motor vehicle transaction there are multiple rules in play, and in most states the amount of dollar value involved makes any fraud or chicanery involved subject to the felony statutes.

If Eldamir delivered a Clear Title at the time the actual chattel property was exchanged and he was later mailed or hand delivered the deficient title then there has been, by definition, fraud and or chicanery involved.

In my energetic youth I was involved with Hot Rods and Classic Cars so I had reason to bone up on the laws with respect to Motor Vehicle Title and proper record keeping for major parts such as engines, transmissions, frames, bodies, and the component parts thereof.

Without proper documentation for certain transactions vehicle registration could become a nightmare then, and it has only become more difficult as time, increasingly complex laws,  and the use of digital records have become more common.

For example, he may be presented with a Salvage Title when this information was not disclosed during negotiations.

Having a vehicle with what amounts to a Scarlet Letter on the title means that it is classified differently for Insurance Purposes and certain types of insurance may not be available or require extra premium if it is available.

It isn't an easy issue and your and his mileage may vary, depending greatly on jurisdictional law.

In situations like this, I try to err on the side of prudence and anticipate the worst possible outcome.  It can save on sturm and drang later on.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
added stuff
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OneBoot said:
13 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

mostly it is just terrible overpriced slimfast for tech bros with too much money

 

Perhaps, but MrBoot has been enjoying it, and he mixes it 50/50 with some cheaper stuff (we get it powdered), and given that he takes the same thing for lunch every day, I want him to be happy with what he's eating. :)

 

Then don’t rent him the movie. 

 

As far as I am concerned the film destroyed “soylent” as any sort of product name forevermore. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

 

 

 

Would this work?:

 

@Unruly  make half the circle black; make the other half white. (Divided vertically)

 

The Black head goes on the left half which is White. The White head goes on the right half which is Black. I’m thinking the Red Dragon Head would be the best choice for the middle head that straddles the line. And then, Bright Green on Black, Blue on white. 

I like the concept but see it as the wavey circle of the Ying/Yang.

GEM

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

 

 

 

Would this work?:

 

@Unruly  make half the circle black; make the other half white. (Divided vertically)

 

The Black head goes on the left half which is White. The White head goes on the right half which is Black. I’m thinking the Red Dragon Head would be the best choice for the middle head that straddles the line. And then, Bright Green on Black, Blue on white. 

 

Eh, the table is going to be black so that doesn't work all that well. I could paint the table red and do that split circle idea, because it's actually pretty nice, but the whole room is red so it would be too much of one color, I think. And I'm not about to repaint the room. I like it being red.

 

But it's all just an excercise in ideas right now. I won't have the table until at least the second week of June, and I won't have the chairs for even longer. So painting the table is a minimum of 2 weeks away. And then I have no idea when I'll have the stencil. I just proposed the idea to my friend the other day, and only today decided that I would go with Tiamat. I talked to her about my idea, shared some crude sketches of what I was thinking of, and then found a piece of existing artwork that is both a better design idea overall and will serve as a beginning reference point for her.

 

Since she's working both a full time desk job as well as apprenticing as a tattoo artist, it'll probably be a few months.

 

24 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Title obtained by fraud or chicanery is a form of theft.

If Eldamir doesn't have a Clear Title in hand for the project jeep within a reasonable period of time, as defined by the laws of the state he is in and the practices of the DMV then it is theft by fraud.  With nearly any other form of property it would be a civil matter.  Since it is a motor vehicle transaction there are multiple rules in play, and in most states the amount of dollar value involved makes any fraud or chicanery involved subject to the felony statutes.

If Eldamir delivered a Clear Title at the time the actual chattel property was exchanged and he was later mailed or hand delivered the deficient title then there has been, by definition, fraud and or chicanery involved.

In my energetic youth I was involved with Hot Rods and Classic Cars so I had reason to bone up on the laws with respect to Motor Vehicle Title and proper record keeping for major parts such as engines, transmissions, frames, bodies, and the component parts thereof.

Without proper documentation for certain transactions vehicle registration could become a nightmare then, and it has only become more difficult as time, increasingly complex laws,  and the use of digital records have become more common.

For example, he may be presented with a Salvage Title when this information was not disclosed during negotiations.

Having a vehicle with what amounts to a Scarlet Letter on the title means that it is classified differently for Insurance Purposes and certain types of insurance may not be available or require extra premium if it is available.

It isn't an easy issue and your and his mileage may vary, depending greatly on jurisdictional law.

In situations like this, I try to err on the side of prudence and anticipate the worst possible outcome.  It can save on sturm and drang later on.

GEM

 

Gotcha. I just know from my own dad's experience. In the 80's he sold a car to his brother-in-law's cousin, with a short, handwritten agreement between them that the guy would pay $X within Y time. My dad handed over the title with the keys, and then the guy never paid. When he tried to go to the cops and report the car as stolen they told him "sorry, but he's got the title so it's technically his car. You'll have to sue him in civil court for the money."

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

Then don’t rent him the movie. 

 

As far as I am concerned the film destroyed “soylent” as any sort of product name forevermore. 

 

Yeah, it really is a very unfortunate product name. I mean, really? Who thought this was a good idea? :huh:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not an unfortunate product name at all. Nor is it accidental. From the product's own FAQ:

 

Quote

We take our name from the novel “Make Room! Make Room!” by Harry Harrison. The book explores the impact of overpopulation in a world with dwindling resources, so a new food is created that is called Soylent, which is made of soy and lentils.

 

That book was the source material for the movie Soylent Green. The company head has also admitted that the name was chosen because it's a name that will immediately invoke conversation and recognition. Especially conversation of the "IT'S MADE OF PEOPLE!" type. Because, really, in a world of cleanses and meal replacements and drink powders you will remember the name 'Soylent' and you will wonder where the green flavor is.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 1:00 AM, Zink said:

I rarely show off my insides so it's not a high priority for me to polish them. A friend of mine drinks coke by the gallons. When people tell him about what it can do he just says that his stomach is stronger acid than the coke so no worries. I'd be more worried about my teeth but he's from eastern Europe where lots of gold or other metal teeth are popular. I don't drink much fizzy stuff anymore and I think 90% of my cola intake is when I'm hanging out with that friend. He loves his rum and coke and if he's pouring I'll drink.

Gastric acid is stronger than carbonic acid. Several other foodstuffs are also quite acidic, which is why they taste sour. Pineapple juice, for example, is similar acidity to soft drinks.

 

Acidity is unlikely to cause much harm to the teeth. It's in the mouth for a very brief time and would be counteracted by saliva (which is alkaline). The main issues with teeth come from food getting caught and feeding tiny nasties which also eat enamel. If anything, drinking soft drinks would help against that because the acidity could kill off the tiny nasties...

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

It's not an unfortunate product name at all. Nor is it accidental. From the product's own FAQ:

 

 

That book was the source material for the movie Soylent Green. The company head has also admitted that the name was chosen because it's a name that will immediately invoke conversation and recognition. Especially conversation of the "IT'S MADE OF PEOPLE!" type. Because, really, in a world of cleanses and meal replacements and drink powders you will remember the name 'Soylent' and you will wonder where the green flavor is.

It should be noted that Soylent is banned from being sold in Canada. We KNOW what's in it. :ph34r:

  • Haha 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Unruly said:

 

Eh, the table is going to be black so that doesn't work all that well. I could paint the table red and do that split circle idea, because it's actually pretty nice, but the whole room is red so it would be too much of one color, I think. And I'm not about to repaint the room. I like it being red.

 

But it's all just an excercise in ideas right now. I won't have the table until at least the second week of June, and I won't have the chairs for even longer. So painting the table is a minimum of 2 weeks away. And then I have no idea when I'll have the stencil. I just proposed the idea to my friend the other day, and only today decided that I would go with Tiamat. I talked to her about my idea, shared some crude sketches of what I was thinking of, and then found a piece of existing artwork that is both a better design idea overall and will serve as a beginning reference point for her.

 

Since she's working both a full time desk job as well as apprenticing as a tattoo artist, it'll probably be a few months.

 

 

Gotcha. I just know from my own dad's experience. In the 80's he sold a car to his brother-in-law's cousin, with a short, handwritten agreement between them that the guy would pay $X within Y time. My dad handed over the title with the keys, and then the guy never paid. When he tried to go to the cops and report the car as stolen they told him "sorry, but he's got the title so it's technically his car. You'll have to sue him in civil court for the money."

You could use whatever color for the table and use a contrasting color or metallic as a divider, making the design in the center a sort of medallion.

-

I now understand where you are coming from on the car situation.  I think Eldamir is in a different situation than your father.  IMHO his "error" was not making the turnover of title conditional on the performance of the payment portion of the contract.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the pet front, I've had a friendly talk with our new neighbours again.

( not the cat that was chased off, the first one that "visits"our front yard).

 

I have been talking to the girl who and explained that I was using the animal friendly formula to try to repell the cat from my yard.

She told me I should do that, no problem.

We talked some more and I warned her about the busy road and that there are bird owners and people with fishponds and such, and that they might not react well.

The other neighbour ( also a young woman) chimed in, she already had lost a cat, her's was an indoor cat, escaped once never returned.

She also told us that a friend of her living two streets away had lost two cats in a few months last year.

 

So I said that I couldn't understand how you could free your cat in the morning and just hope to see it return by the end of the day.

And that I wouldn't take such a risk with my dog.

 

The new girl ( front yard trespassing kitty) then shrugged.

She said, I can understand that, my parents had a dog and I wouldn't have done that with him, but this is an older cat from the shelter, and I wanted it so I wouldn't be alone when my husband is out working.

But I don't get too attached because these things can happen to it...

 

She's a nice kid, but I really don't get that.

 

  • Confused 5
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Unruly---brown table, grey circle, Tiamat in circle.

 

 

38 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

She said, I can understand that, my parents had a dog and I wouldn't have done that with him, but this is an older cat from the shelter, and I wanted it so I wouldn't be alone when my husband is out working.

But I don't get too attached because these things can happen to it...

 

She's a nice kid, but I really don't get that. 

Neither do I. My pets are part of my family.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been waking up angry everyday for the past few days. Not quite sure why nor what I’m angry at. It’s not a pleasant thing, and goes away after a half hour. 

 

Maybe I’m dreaming something that’s upsetting but I don’t remember the dream when I awake? Bizarre.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

 

I now understand where you are coming from on the car situation.  I think Eldamir is in a different situation than our father.  IMHO his "error" was not making the turnover of title conditional on the performance of the payment portion of the contract.

My error was on not realizing that jumped titles were a thing.. Honestly, I'd never heard the term until I got to the DMV and they wouldn't process it.. 

He had a written bill of sale from the other fellow and wrote me a bill of sale, so my naive self thought we'd be good.

I did speak with him yesterday and it seems he's willing to work with me to fix it.

The jeep title was mailed to him (after I made copies of everything!) and I also did some google research on the names on the title so I can go to them possibly if necessary.

Edited by eldamir
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×