Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

On 5/31/2019 at 3:23 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Hrmph!  Years of carefully collecting is being compared to a natural disaster? ::P:

Natural disasters are MUCH better organized than our boxes of Bones. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Because they're terribly impractical, and do you really want most people to be flying? Just look at how people drive and then imagine the skies being full of those people as well. Imagine the carnage that will result when every fender bender results in both vehicles dropping a couple hundred feet as they spiral out of control instead of simply coming to a stop. And then when that happens you never know what the cars will land on top of or crash into as they go down. What was once a mild inconvenience has turned into a likely fatality, with the chance of millions of dollars in property damage because a flying car spiraled into a building ala the helicopter scene from The Matrix.

As cool as the idea sounds, the reality is that it would probably be a nightmarish hellscape of raining debris and death unless we had sufficiently advanced self-driving technology that took humans out of the equation entirely. But considering the difficulty we're having with doing that on 2 axes, I don't see us doing it on 3 for a long time.

You've probably read some of my opinions on the "skills" or lack thereof of a significant segment of licensed automobile drivers.

The licensing requirements for aircraft pilots are significantly more stringent than for automobiles.  For example, about half of those who have a drivers license would drop out of Ground School before their first lesson in the cockpit, just because of the amount of study, including homework, required.

IMHO your concerns about the proliferation of flying cars, while laudable, are erring on the side of the excessive.  Just the increased acquisition cost of a dual purpose vehicle is going to weed out many of the incompetents.  Most of the rest of them will never make it past ground school.   The few that do get that far will find the requirements to actually achieving a pilots license a near insurmountable problem.

So you can relax, there are enough barriers to keep the people on the left side of the skills curve from getting airborne to keep most of us safe for the foreseeable future.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I expect this moratorium on mini purchases will change once I'm GMing games again. Because I'll either have the mini for a thing... or I won't and I'll need it ::P:

Also, Bones 5 is exempt from the moratorium. And any upcoming silent auctions. And if any website happens to go out of business and hold a huge sale to get rid of stock. And...

There's a lot of 'and's that alter the moratorium.

Grumps the one that got me started.

I don't think he'll be telling me no anytime soon. ::P:

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

This is why everyone foolish enough to invite me to their wedding gets a toaster. One of the four slot ones. At the wedding, the recipiants are usually less than enthused with this....a month later I'm usually told it was the one of the few gifts that actually proved useful. 

Grump gives super deluxe crock pots. <_< I think crock pots and love occupy the same space in his head.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump gives super deluxe crock pots. <_< I think crock pots and love occupy the same space in his head.

I mean... adjacent anyway, right? 

UGH.... 5 weeks to go... 

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

$200 was spent on the clothes and sandals. And that was stuff that was on sale. $50 for a pair of shorts is ridiculous! But it's the only way for me to get shorts that I even remotely like. No one wants to make shorts that go below the knee anymore.

At least they don’t make them as short as Tom Selleck got to wear playing Thomas Magnum back in the 70’s. >>shudder<< Small blessings?

What do you have to pay for trousers that you like?

Is this? a viable plan:

—buy trousers

—cut to one inch longer than desired length

—have them hemmed at desired length (about an inch is lost to hemming)

—have the leg remainders made into drawstring bags for SCAdian purposes. 

Money spent yields two bags and one pair of board shorts. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

No one wants to make shorts that go below the knee anymore. They always make them above the knee so they hit above half thigh when I sit down. It sucks.

aren't shorts that go below the knee culottes? I thought they were annihilated during the french revolution.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I expect flying cars will become the norm when we either have excellent automatic pilot with no manual override or internal reliable anti-gravity. that way when the cars crash, they just hang in space and no one falls and dies. 

as for kit airplanes, i couldn't do it.  My wife's uncle did one.  Absolutely beautiful push pull model.  then he went to have it certified and the first thing they did was snap the wings off of it!  they gave it back in pieces and said to build it again and the will test to just that level of stress and if the wings dont snap it will be certified at that performance rating.  He put close to 2000 hours into that thing, I wasn't mine and i near cried when they broke it.

He did rebuild it and it was certified for flight so there is that.  but it took another 200 hours to get it done because half of the internal structure had to be replaced because it had been bent or cracked.

I've...  Never heard of an organization taking the plane away, and deliberately breaking it...  Was it a full on scratch built?

...Then again, most of my experience with amateur built aircraft is Van's Aircraft designs or various incarnations of KitFox...  (or the CubCrafters)

• Like 5

Okay, that's enough of that. 

Time for dinner, beer, and Good Omens. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Apparently I have been cut off.

No more minis for a while. Not until I get Bones 4 and this pile of Bones 2 organized at the new place so I don't order duplicates?

No? I just "have enough"?

Wait, what about your mini orders, my dear? :devil:

Hmph. No answer. 

I wouldn't worry, I get hints like that from my housemate all the time. If you're anything like me, you can easily sneak in some more minis into the box/pile/closet of minis and they won't even notice :poke:

For example, I managed to hide a new GW Sylvaneth army box in the pile of shame a few months ago and nothing was said until she needed some tree-spirits for Pathfinder. 

"Oh, these? I've had those for ages! It's great to be able to use them for something!" :ph34r:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14

Well good news at work is my co-worker finally got a vacation he needed to take next week & the week after. Thanks to one of the night managers abruptly quitting vs getting hit with a demotion, everyone's vacation requests got bumped back, thus the 2 weeks off for him. He'll come back for a week & then take anther one after that(so 3 out of 4 weeks he is off). He's a traditionalist when it comes to vacations & such. He usually takes them at the end of his yearly & goes weekly, starting with the Sunday & coming back a week later. Kinda of annoying but it's his vacation.

I get stuck with a oddball schedule & a guy that was in my wife's department for about a month before she got tired of his laziness & overall can't do the job right & they stuck him into the grocery department, oh joy. Hopefully the 2 weeks goes by fast. Due to my new schedule this week, I'm gonna skip my Weds night D&D game at the FLGS. Just too many factors to worry about playing that night. I guess it wouldn't be too bad, but the whole work for 8+ hrs Tues/Weds morning, play that night & then work that evening, just doesn't sit well with me. On the bright side is does allow me to prep, ie order for the next game with time to spare.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:00 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Random headline on the internet:

'Elderly couple accidentally burns down house during sex game involving WW2 flamethrower.'

:wow::blink::huh::ik_oops::wacko:

Well, that's one way to remember the upcoming 75th anv of D-Day.........:B):

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's 2019. Why don't we have flying cars yet?

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Oh, please no... please, dear gods no... Have you seen how people fail to drive? 

I've been in tech support long enough now that I don't want flying cars anymore...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:
14 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's 2019. Why don't we have flying cars yet?

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Oh, please no... please, dear gods no... Have you seen how people fail to drive? 

I've been in tech support long enough now that I don't want flying cars anymore...

The corporations that build things that fly do tech support of a whole different kind and quality and for a different breed of customer, when things that fly are involved. 1964:

Amazing-Tail-Featured-Image_filtered.jpg

This ^ event produced a very interesting :ik_oops: technical support call to Boeing. I used to work with guys who were B-52 crew chiefs and pilots. They had stories about this incident. The aircraft ultimately landed safely, if you were wondering.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Jack worked two and a half hours OT yesterday and a full 8 today.

Jack haz a hurt.

Jack iz a hurt.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

aren't shorts that go below the knee culottes? I thought they were annihilated during the french revolution.

Those were tight fitting. I don't do tight fitting anything. I want baggy cargo shorts, and I want them to be longer than "normal." I don't want JNCO-level baggy, and I don't want them super low. I just don't want cut off skinny jeans and I want my knee to be covered when I'm standing. Like an inch or so below the knee. That way when I sit down they rest at the top of my knee rather than in my crotch. In the late 90's and early 2000's I could find shorts like that all the time. Now it's all "shorts should sit 3 inches above your knee while standing so when you sit down you've got your junk on display because they're riding so high."

6 hours ago, TGP said:

What do you have to pay for trousers that you like?

Is this? a viable plan:

—buy trousers

—cut to one inch longer than desired length

—have them hemmed at desired length (about an inch is lost to hemming)

—have the leg remainders made into drawstring bags for SCAdian purposes. 

Money spent yields two bags and one pair of board shorts. 

Roughly the same cost, if not about $10-15 more expensive, plus the hour or two I'd have to spend making sure I got the seams straight and the hassle of doing a seam on an already closed pant leg.

And don't even get me started on pants. It's sad when the same Levis I've been buying for years now cost the same as Calvin Klein jeans, but are lower quality. The only bad part of the CK jeans is they have little tiny girlie pockets. I don't say that to disparage women, they're just the kind of pockets you find with women's clothes(and ladies, I agree you need real pockets). Because apparently fashion designers never have to carry anything, ever. They aren't quite as bad as actual women's clothes pockets, but they only fit about 3/4 of my cell phone, while every other pair of pants I own fits it in a pocket just fine...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

The only bad part of the CK jeans is they have little tiny girlie pockets. I don't say that to disparage women, they're just the kind of pockets you find with women's clothes(and ladies, I agree you need real pockets). Because apparently fashion designers never have to carry anything, ever. They aren't quite as bad as actual women's clothes pockets, but they only fit about 3/4 of my cell phone, while every other pair of pants I own fits it in a pocket just fine...

The few times I've borrowed MrBoot's pants (pj's or for cosplay), I'm always astonished that not only can all of my fingers fit into the pockets, I can fit my whole hand in up to the wrist. It's amazing! :wow:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 13