Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Not an easy decision. I could go the full money chunk and get Iwata/Sotar/Badger, but I don't know if I want to invest that much right away. On Amazon I've found ABEST and Gocheer for cheap, they have a little electronic pump and have 0.3mm nozzles. I just want it for basecoating and doing a bit of detail work on my figures right now.

Hobby Lobby has a "Beginner" Iwata for around 40 if you get it with the 40% off coupon they offer (if you order by mail, get it when they offer free shipping). It's the compressor that is gonna set you back. You could start with the compressed air cans but why? They are cheap to start with but are also un-reliable as far as air flow & they do add up over time.

You guys have anything like Harbor Freight in Canajunland? If so they usually have airbrushes. Oddball brands but they are decent pieces. I have one but I just use it for clear coating. No worries about not getting fully clean when only shooting one type of paint through it.

Also there are various sellers on ebay that offer Master brand. It's not the greatest but its also not the worst when it comes to airbrushing. I think it would fit your needs easily.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, haldir said:

Hobby Lobby has a "Beginner" Iwata for around 40 if you get it with the 40% off coupon they offer (if you order by mail, get it when they offer free shipping). 

If it's the Iwata Neo CN, then that's an absolute steal. It was my first airbrush and was very forgiving towards my noob clumsiness. I still use it today for basecoating and gradients.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Thinking about getting a proper airbrush setup. Don't know how far down the rabbit hole I should go.

Do it.  Rumour is its totally worth it. 

Deluxe Bundle pack from USA Airbrush Supply is $400ish CAD shipped.  Bundle I want is closer to just over $500 since I'd also be throwing in Minitaire Ghost paints as well as the StynylRez pack too. 

23 minutes ago, haldir said:

You guys have anything like Harbor Freight in Canajunland? If so they usually have airbrushes. Oddball brands but they are decent pieces. I have one but I just use it for clear coating. No worries about not getting fully clean when only shooting one type of paint through it.

We have Princess Auto, which is sort of similar, but not at the same time. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Thinking about getting a proper airbrush setup. Don't know how far down the rabbit hole I should go.

I would recommend a reliable air supply as a starting step.

I started with the air cans and they don't last long and the pressure won't hold constant.

I grabbed the first one I came to as an illustration but something like this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-HP-Airbrush-Air-Brush-Compressor-Kit-With-3L-Tank-Paint-Hobby-Cake-Tattoo/192105524351?epid=5031097145&hash=item2cba61ac7f:g:FRAAAOSw44BYHsYk

will provide good air at a fairly economical price.

Check the price of air cans, you can quickly run up the price of a tank and compressor outfit in cans just learning how to use your brush.

I have a similar compressor and tank setup permanently installed in a plastic crate so it shelves easily.  Hoses roll up and tuck into the void spaces for a nice neat package and everything is secure from bumps and other mishap.  Make sure to equip it with an air dryer if the one you buy doesn't already have one and drain the air tank after every use.  If you don't follow this one maintenance step you may find yourself with a rusted out tank faster than you imagined.

I use a Badger and a Paashe brush, different controls and each does a workman like job within its capabilities.

GEM

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Not an easy decision. I could go the full money chunk and get Iwata/Sotar/Badger, but I don't know if I want to invest that much right away. On Amazon I've found ABEST and Gocheer for cheap, they have a little electronic pump and have 0.3mm nozzles. I just want it for basecoating and doing a bit of detail work on my figures right now.

Buy once; cry once.

You can get decent quality stuff for a reasonable price (the Badger setup that they offered at last year's ReaperCon was a pretty good deal, for instance.) The only way that really cheaping out ever pays for itself is if you find that you really don't like anything about what you're trying. And if you use tools that irritate you the whole time you use them, that's more likely anyway.

Your call, of course.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Buy once; cry once.

Sure know this with cameras.  I've purchased cheap in the past, and while they were good, they weren't as nice as the stuff one step up.  Still loved that LC-33 though. 

Gonna be painful on the wallet to buy my new camera, especially since the new lens for the system is pretty much just as expensive, but it'll be worth it.  Some of the guys at the local camera shops think I'm nuts though, since it'll be a $2700 CAD (on sale) price... And I'm buying it for video and photo... 

• Like 7

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

That is the longest word in the Oxford dictionary.

It refers to a lung disease contracted from the inhalation of very fine silica particles, specifically from a volcano; medically, it is the same as silicosis.

There you go, you've (probably) learned something new today.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Buy once; cry once.

You can get decent quality stuff for a reasonable price (the Badger setup that they offered at last year's ReaperCon was a pretty good deal, for instance.) The only way that really cheaping out ever pays for itself is if you find that you really don't like anything about what you're trying. And if you use tools that irritate you the whole time you use them, that's more likely anyway.

Your call, of course.

I bought a cheap rig off Amazon when I had one, and I'll second Doug's post here for a different reason:  I never knew if the gear I bought was junk or if I just didn't know how to use it.  When I get a replacement I'll spend a bit extra to be more sure I'm getting good quality so I can at least eliminate that part of the question.  It'll be a lot easier to learn how to properly airbrush if I can confine the issues to my stoopid instead of maybe the product is stoopid.  

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

It refers to a lung disease contracted from the inhalation of very fine silica particles, specifically from a volcano; medically, it is the same as silicosis.

Nope, had that as a word on a spelling test in fifth grade. 

Edit: as well as antidisestablishmentarianism and supercalifragilisticexpialidotches. 

Edited by FaekiasDracon
Fat fingered the c and x typing and phone took wrong one.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, Colonel Kane said:

. It has been, well let us just say going to hell in a hand basket,

That's not the handbasket, that's the latrine bucket.

10 hours ago, Unruly said:

He also doesn't believe that the Vikings had anything to do with the Byzantine Empire, or that they had trade routes that reached into the Middle East and Russia.

What, he's never seen The 13th Warrior?

Better yet, have him read the book. Specifically the introduction, in which Chrichton explains how he took a real manuscript written by a real Arab who traveled al the way to Russia to meet Vikings, and tacked the Beowulf story onto it...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Cool. Thanks.

My D&D group is going to have it's 100th session this weekend. I'm looking into custom dice, but any ideas on things to do in game (other than a TPK) to make it memorable? Keep in mind it's a dungeon crawl. 

About a hundred years ago the washboard was the primary means of washing clothing. It has since been replaced by the washing machine. 

The washboard has also had a long and distinguished place in folk music. Today I discovered that the machine that replaced it for washing clothing has begun to step in to the music scene

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 11

On 5/31/2019 at 3:35 PM, sumbloke said:

2 days until SWMBO moves into our new house with me. We're having her family and someone else over tonight for dinner...

So the move-in went pretty smoothly. But SWMBO was starting to come down with something which hit full force on Monday. I took the day off to take care of her and she's been taking it easy since then. Hope she recovers sufficiently before we go away for the weekend (and that she's sufficiently recovered for the road trip she's taking with her sister today).

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

My D&D group is going to have it's 100th session this weekend. I'm looking into custom dice, but any ideas on things to do in game (other than a TPK) to make it memorable? Keep in mind it's a dungeon crawl. 

Memorable?  All sorts of hints of something, big, bad, outright awwwwful.  Maybe even remains of what appear to be adventuring groups, and if you're feeling generous, hints at previous tenants of said dungeon (gnolls, orcs, whatever, stuff just randomly left behind, both totally unattended, as well as discarded in haste) 

... And then it's nothing. Nothing at all.  No ambush, no dragon out of nowhere, no swirling coin monster, no poison trap, no collapsing floor... Nothing. 

Oh wait, that's just being evil to them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

How can you get custom dice that fast?

:wow:

But the Number 100 is inspiring. 

Suppose they walk into a room that is 10 squares by 10 squares. Suppose you have a d100 chart / roll with 100 possible outcomes. Suppose the room is a giant gaming board (checkered) and once they walk onto the board...

...you begin rolling things. 

Sometimes the d100 roll helps them. Sometimes not. You could have a small number of statues already on the board. Sometimes a roll from the chart will activate one and it will be on their side. Sometimes the roll does silly things like turn a square into a pit filled with water. Sometimes it brings in an opposing piece. Sometimes it summons a monster or two. 

There should be a permanent Bigby spell operating, Bigsby’s Masterful Hand, (masterful because chessmaster... :rolleyes: ) moving the statues around. 

The tone of it should be lighthearted [?] sorta like the Wand of Wonder but this could be The Board of Blunder. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1