Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

This had me astonished for a while, and then I remembered that somewhere, there exist states that can be crossed twice in a single workday without actually exceeding 200 mph... ::o:

Hell, you can cross Rhode Island twice in a single hour doing about 95mph...  ::D:

(I speak from experience, lol.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Air Force here...

I once was in a ppsition as a young Sergeant when I got an elfhat like that.

So I waited for a truck to deliver F-16 Tires ( kinda large, rubber, smells, heavy) and I took a few men with me to unload.

Given my previous experiences with this little brat ( kinda matches yours) I let the men form a chain and made sure he was the one inside the truck so he got to be the one that unloaded the cargo and had to handle every pallet. No slacking there.

He was exhausted and I had a nice day.

I had guys like that at my last command in the Navy.  They were always the ones who slacked off so much they were the next to last ones to go home on clean up Fridays and whined that I was giving them the hardest jobs.  The little broccoli's couldn't get it through their head that a) I rotated jobs, so no one had to do the same job every week and b) I didn't get to go home until they got to go home and that I really wanted to go home.

Today was mixed.  Son got his first job, starts at the local Subway tomorrow morning.  So that's good. 

On the other side of things, I just completed the 5th official revision of the quote for the small town site owners who can't make up their mind. I say official revision, because that's the revision number officially on the quote.  Each official revision took me 3-4 iterations to get right, so I have a stack of about 15 revisions here.  Their original $30k quote of standard reliable equipment that's easy to install and service is now up to $90k of custom and semi custom stuff.  

If this deal goes through, I'm guessing I'll be doing a lot of driving up to northwest MN. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, haldir said:

This kid was originally in the butcher block under my wife so I knew what I was getting with him.  The grocery manager (who nailed the kid for his slacker work last night & I'm sure will say something Friday morning as well), said "well its early but let feel him out." My reply was "I have history with this guy, if you would have seen my wife when she came home every day she had to open after he closed...." Yah he knew where I was coming from.

Tomorrow night I'll say something to him about his lack of great work but like everywhere else in this store hell just ignore it & do his thing. I have no idea why they even keep him, besides he feels a hole for them right now.

I'm currently taking a break but tonight has been a hassle, with cleaning & straightening up his work from the previous nights.

Ughhhh back to work. Only a few aisles to go.

Documentation is your friend.

If possible you need to take pictures of his sloppy/unacceptable work [you do have a camera on your phone, right?].  Don't say anything just keep the pictures in reserve until they will do some good.

Good Luck

GEM

9 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Anyone know of a good paint to use if you want a mini to look like it's covered in (in-scale) glitter? Asking for a friend's awesome idea that can be summed up in two words:

1: Gaslands

2: Glitzkrieg

You might want to investigate Automotive Metallic Paints.

Would require experimentation on how much thinning would be required to get a paint film thin enough for mini use.

If you could find one of the clear coat paints with embedded metalflake that might work.  Of course, that would require a clear flat coat over the automotive clear coat.

Just spitballin' here.

GEM

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Weird-O said:

This had me astonished for a while, and then I remembered that somewhere, there exist states that can be crossed twice in a single workday without actually exceeding 200 mph... ::o:

There are whole states that would fit inside the borders of the ~county~ I live in. ::(:

GEM

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Thanks.  Would probably not be so stressed about this if she wasn't due to leave for Japan in a couple of weeks.  Not a good time for a random health problem to pop up out of the blue.

Fortunately thyroid issues can be easily controlled with a small dose of medication. It's a common  problem. 

Anyone got suggestions for snacks to take with me to the clinic tomorrow? I'll be there over lunch, for several hours, stuck in a recliner. It's an allergy free zone, absolutely no nuts or nut products allowed. Normally I'd take a larabar or something similar.  It seems like everything has peanuts, cashews, or almonds in it these days.  

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Fortunately thyroid issues can be easily controlled with a small dose of medication. It's a common  problem. 

Anyone got suggestions for snacks to take with me to the clinic tomorrow? I'll be there over lunch, for several hours, stuck in a recliner. It's an allergy free zone, absolutely no nuts or nut products allowed. Normally I'd take a larabar or something similar.  It seems like everything has peanuts, cashews, or almonds in it these days.  

Apple slices, string cheese, banana, grapes, maybe cheese slices and crackers. Jerky?

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Jelly beans, jerky, potato or corn chips, slices of cheese, wheat thins or similar crackers, chocolate chip (or other) cookies....

What are you looking for in a "snack"?

NB: While they probably still aren't allowed, peanuts are not actually "nuts or nut products", but rather legumes.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Got CLIF bars down there?  Only main allergen they mention is soy, oats, and barley for their regular bars...  At least the chocolate chip one. 

There's also the "fruit smoothie filled" ones - strawberry banana is my favourite, as tart cherry berry is definitely tart, and the blueberry acai one tastes like... Barely flavoured protein mix....  Nevermind on the filled ones, strawberry filled ones has cashews, and MAY contain peanuts. 

• Like 6

I'm looking for something relatively 'healthy': low in salt, sugar, fats, and lacking artificial ingredients. Something that doesn't drip or crumble, isn't sticky,  and doesn't smell strongly enough to bother the other patients.  Something that keeps at room temp for a couple hours.   The best I've come up with is: an apple.   Thanks for suggesting the beef jerky, it's salty but a little protein will be good.

I'll check out Clif bars, too, thanks. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Red beat me to the jerky suggestion.

• Like 6

No, no, no. The Bruins win tonight, the Blues win the next game, then we can have a nail-biter game 7.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

No, no, no. The Bruins win tonight, the Blues win the next game, then we can have a nail-biter game 7.

No, the Blues win tonight, the Blues win game 6, and then the sports season is over until the fall.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4