Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

That tree was, like, seventy feet high with four trunks, some of which were rotting, the whole thing more than twenty feet around at the base, positioned in the back of our yard where it menaced seven houses and two garages every time there was a windstorm.

I mean, I like nature and shade and habitat a much as the next person, but yikes.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

It sounds like you have a moderately efficient exterminator already...

The thing is she caught it but just drug it around and played with it instead of killing it. :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

The thing is she caught it but just drug it around and played with it instead of killing it. :unsure:

Yeah. The problem is cats have an instinct to attack and grab little wriggly things, but they have to be taught by their mothers how to properly hunt and kill.

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Yeah. The problem is cats have an instinct to attack and grab little wriggly things, but they have to be taught by their mothers how to properly hunt and kill.

I don't know, finding nothing but the tiny pink feet is pretty disturbing.

And I don't think either of them were taught.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

Maybe they have native talent?

I think the basic idea is killing doesn't come automatically to cats the way catching prey does.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

That sounds like fun.  I only had about an hour last year.  I'd probably only have an hour this year if I went.

There won't be a whole lot to see.  It's really a bunch of aspiring writers and storytellers listening to other writers and storytellers.  It's fascinating but not visually interesting.

Interesting because my wife and older son are both aspiring writers and need a solid kick somewhere to actually publish.  But also because I've seen them both deal with a lot of the issues being discussed.  I just like hanging out with that crowd.  It's fun and occasionally I learn something I can use at work or in my gaming life.

12 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Our.bassett used to do that.  He'd catch a mouse and bring it to an open area of the room, let it go and chase it down again.  When the poor thing finally died of fright he would bring it to one of us, drop it at our feet and look at us like 'my toy broke; fix it'.  We would throw it out and he'd go outside and get another one.

3 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

So your cat doesn't like mouse feet?  Maybe their being saved for some sort of ritual?

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

"Love to eat them mousies!

"Mousies what I love to eat--

"Bite they little heads off--

"nibble on they tiny feet!"

Looks like somebody didn't memorize the whole poem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Please don’t. I feel guilty enough as it is. That tree was over a hundred years old and shaded this entire end of the block.

Can you save some of the wood and maybe use it as a base for a Mossbeard?

Seems like it would make a fitting reminder/tribute to the memory of the tree.

GEM

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Thoramel said:

In 16 minutes I walk out of the office and begin a short vacation which includes 5 days of gaming at Origins Game Fair. I think it's our 7th year going. Very excited!

Have fun!

the-reason-cats-are-so-angry-istheyre-gods-perfect-killing-20864302.png.0733e21549784f6bcab693c0a7c1baf7.png

• Haha 18

On 6/9/2019 at 2:20 PM, NebulousMissy said:

An unfortunate reality of moving.

We found all the minis stuffed under the bed. We can't take them with us because storage, timing, and wants. We can't get them to anyone because timing, how they're stored, and the fact that they're all mixed together in a pile of decade-old plastic baggies.

The DUST Tactics minis have no real street value. The Warmachine minis are as old as Warmachine itself. The Flames of War minis are all tossed into a plastic bag with no organization of army, type, or model.

It's a mess. And it's a mess we can't take with us.

15 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Bartertown has allowed us to offload much of the GW stuff. Partner's been trading there since the early 2000s.

A donation to the FLGS might be more likely. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many/any local WW2 players. Or Weird War-type players. Too much Star Wars distracting the local players ::P:

Such a donation would wait until the last day before we move. Maybe the day we move. Any minis that can be found homes before then will be shipped off before then with vast appreciation.

If I had monies, I'd take the Flames of War and Warmachine stuff of your hands. But I have no monies...

And more than likely they'd end up under my bed as well, because outside of 40k and a bit of X-wing there isn't much tabletop gaming going on around here.

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

I’ve got some pictures, yeah, but I don’t want to get in these guys’ way. I really don’t want to distract them.

They’re fast. One trunk is almost all down.

Oh yea. Professional tree services are amazing to watch sometimes. My mom watched them top out 5 poplars on her property in less than half an hour, including the climb. My dad watched them use a crane to swing between 4 Douglas firs in what is now my front yard as they took them out from the top down. Took maybe an hour and a half, he said.

First day back to work after vacation. Not happy.

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

Went to my Supervisor to discuss changing my shift (as a joke mainly) to be able to come in at 8:00 Hawaiian time and leaving at 4:30 Eastern time.

Spoiler

(Basically 11:00 - 1:30 PST)

Instead he talks me into working:

Week 1 - Monday-Thursday 7:00 - 4:30, Friday 7:00 - 3:30

Week 2 - Monday-Thursday 7:00 - 4:30, Friday - Off

I'll take this as a win.

Just means I'll need to raid @Crowley or @Colonel Kane's coffee more frequently during the day. :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, TripleH said:

Went to my Supervisor to discuss changing my shift (as a joke mainly) to be able to come in at 8:00 Hawaiian time and leaving at 4:30 Eastern time.

Hide contents

(Basically 11:00 - 1:30 PST)

Instead he talks me into working:

Week 1 - Monday-Thursday 7:00 - 4:30, Friday 7:00 - 3:30

Week 2 - Monday-Thursday 7:00 - 4:30, Friday - Off

I'll take this as a win.

Just means I'll need to raid @Crowley or @Colonel Kane's coffee more frequently during the day. :devil:

Next time try for Emerald City Standard Work Agreement:

"We get up at Twelve and start to work at One

Take an hour for lunch and then at Two we're done   -

Jolly Good Fun!

GEM

• Haha 10

19 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Next time try for Emerald City Standard Work Agreement:

"We get up at Twelve and start to work at One

Take an hour for lunch and then at Two we're done   -

Jolly Good Fun!

GEM

I would, but I'm not covered by the Union, so It would make it extremely difficult to get passed thru.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Mmmm. Basket of fried okra straight from the fryer!

Sounds yummy! I had scallion and squash puff pastry pie. 

The CPA is gonna be the end of me. They've apparently updated the test for July. I just downloaded the new notes. *SIGH*

Think I'm gonna take the girls to the park. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1