Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Just now, WhiteWulfe said:

Baffles me too, now that you mention it. 

It's like that ONE engineer in an office of dozens of them... And that one person doesn't drink coffee. 

...Says the person working for a coffee company, where in our branch we have something like five people (out of sixty or so) that don't drink coffee... 

Never have liked the taste of coffee, but I love the smell.  I could work in a coffee company for that reason alone. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Many years ago, I had to accompany my ex-wife to a family reunion out of state.  As part of that trip, her dad took us to a relative's house that had to have been built in the 1880s, and had it's electrical installed no later than the 1930s and NEVER updated since then. The kitchen in this house was full of every conceivable small appliance, all plugged into two 2 prong outputs (no ground plug) using a variety of old extension cords and outlet expanders. 

I took one look at that kitchen, went outside and refused to go back into the house. Got into a fight with my ex over it. 

About a dozen years ago, we were having a family reunion outside of Yellowstone NP for my grandmother's 95th birthday. In all, there were her two kids, her five grandchildren, and the families of those five grandchildren, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 people. The "cabin" we were staying in had a wooden deck with a wooden staircase down to the ground. We wanted to get a group photo, and my uncle really wanted everyone on that staircase. I flatly refused (which caused some hard feelings). We ended up with a shot that might not have been as well composed but that also didn't risk the collapse of a staircase with around 5000# of dynamic load.

Don't regret that refusal even one bit.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Never have liked the taste of coffee, but I love the smell.  I could work in a coffee company for that reason alone. 

I have to playfully say there's a bit of bad news...  Our branch doesn't really smell like coffee.  Most of the office smells like any other office, and the warehouse smells of dust and cardboard... With a bit of wood and metal mixed in there too. 

Now, when someone drops a bag of whole beans and it splits open.... Oh, that's a heavenly smell. 

My staging area tends to sort of smells of coffee beans though, since mine is right next to where we store said whole beans. 

Service department tends to smell like a mixture of coffee, slurpee mix, metal, and various cleaning supplies... ^_^

However, if you need a coffee, we may have a machine or three hooked up that does such.... :devil:  (we only have anywhere from 2-4 in the "New" break room since we're trying out new machines, and then up front we tend to have 2-3 machines set up depending on what customers might be coming in that week.  We even have two water machines up front, one is a Lavit, the other an Ion.  Lavit is a pod based cold beverage system thingy, with fully recyclable pods too (they're aluminum). 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Now, when someone drops a bag of whole beans and it splits open.... Oh, that's a heavenly smell. 

Geez boss, I have no idea how I keep managing to hire accident prone klutzes for the warehouse...:devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

If you have to eat it frozen, just pretend it's a quirky kind of ice cream.

I gotta tell ya, nothing cools you down on a hot summer's day like a real chewy lasagna pop.  Mmmm-mmmm.

I wondered what Ben & Jerry's Garfield's Delight tasted like.

They're really running out of flavour ideas. I mean, how can they ever beat a winner like Clam Chowder Power Hour (chunky style, obviously).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

59 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Geez boss, I have no idea how I keep managing to hire accident prone klutzes for the warehouse...:devil:

Oddly enough, go back a few years we actually had a warehouse person who'd lose their grip on "random" cases of pop and a can would break, so we would have to write it off... And get to drink it. 

Weirdest part is why the quotes around random...  Someone would comment about "wouldn't it be nice to have x" and three days later, long after they'd forgotten about such... Boom, we'd have a case fall and literally one can in the flat would break. 

Drivers were happy though, we had a steady supply of pop in the fridge to 'thief'! :p

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

YOU needed sun, Grump may have required much less. Enjoy your lobster husband. ::P:

We both have Irish blood, but my da was Italian, so I can TAN.

So can Grump, but it takes about a week of peeling. ::P:

He didn't look so bad Monday night, after we got back, but this morning? BRIGHT pink!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

My wizard player is going to simultaneously love and hate that I'm writing his spell list... in Latin. I'm getting faster with translating phrases, woohoo! I'm not bothering with the level 0 spells yet, these already take too long in general. Some of these phrases are really obvious (Fire will damn you = flamma te damnabit, Kelgore's Firebolt) but others are pretty intricate and not obvious (may I run swiftly away = velociter aliunde decurram, Expeditious Retreat). 

... and "Safety" I let be rather ominous. Ex profunditatum abyssi ad asylum redderet = from the depths of hell, deliver us to sanctuary. If I translated correctly, at least. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Hm. 'Ex' carries the ablativum, and I wonder if you might not do better with 'profundum'? 'Profunditatum' seems rather philosophical. Also, shouldn't that be 'redde' (imperative) or 'redderes' (2nd person)? Also, the Lord's Prayer uses 'liberare' for 'to deliver' in that sense, but that seems better translated as 'free us from evil' there... Sorry, momentarily geeking out here...

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, aturriff said:

Hm. 'Ex' carries the ablativum, and I wonder if you might not do better with 'profundum'? 'Profunditatum' seems rather philosophical. Also, shouldn't that be 'redde' (imperative) or 'redderes' (2nd person)? Also, the Lord's Prayer uses 'liberare' for 'to deliver' in that sense, but that seems better translated as 'free us from evil' there... Sorry, momentarily geeking out here...

Philosophical is fine. The spell is probably going to be getting used not actually in a hell plane, but in a more human kinda hell (imo humans are much more disturbing than true evils, because they have the option not to be). I think I went with the subjunctive form for the sake of it being a "may we be", asking for it, instead of demanding. 

Can't say I know the lord's prayer, considering I've only been to church once or twice as a kid, and got out of going with the boyfriend's family for being Jew-"ish". Mostly "ish" with a side of matzo ball soup. Would be good reference material for writing divine spells, certainly. 

Edit: I changed that to redderemus. That was a tough 'un. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

You sure we aren't talking about hockey fans?  Because that sounds like hockey fans. 

LaCrosse fans are much more civilized - they beat each other up in the reenactments! :p

I resemble all of those comments.

I'm a hockey fan, but I've never beaten anyone up while drunk.

I don't know about Lacrosse fans, but as a player, I was far from civilized. I understood that it was a rough game and taking some hits was part of it, but I always made certain to dish out some lumps to anybody that hit me. Always. :devil:

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Lunch time.

The break room is under renovation.

The alternate microwave location is in a conference room that's being used.

The alternate alternate microwave is next to a filming location and is inaccessible. 

:grr:

And this is why I always carry a lighter even though I quit smoking some time ago.

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Wait a minute - you got through years of military service without succumbing to coffee, and you're going to give in now? :devil:

It was a moment of weakness; I've already dismissed the idea.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The way this is worded dad wasn't taken to the hospital.  Kid clearly has someone looking out for him, because if you pulled that stunt at most workplaces (doubly so as a new employee) and it was discovered that dad wasn't in the hospital.... 

Well for one thing, the store director liked the guy so who knows why nothing was really done with him, other then move him to anther department & see if pans out there.

Groc Mng told me this morning he left a note saying he had a migraine (Monday morning) so that is why the store looked terrible (which is was). Again, no clue. I hope he finds something suited for him in the future. I think the newly opened by why did the city spend close to a mill' splash pad might be looking for a youth attendant. I think he'd be perfect for that!!!

Well got a little under 4 hrs of sleep before waking up. I was able to get everything ready for tonight in a short time frame, so really just waiting on time before heading up to the FLGS. I may call the game early tonight, as in addition to throwing last night load by myself, I get to work 8 days straight due to co-worker comes back Saturday night & they felt is appropriate I return to my regular schedule. Even thou he is only there for a week & then takes anther week vacation...sigh.

Thou, hoping for the FLGS magic tonight as far as the Stanley Cup is concerned. My team this playoffs has only lost once while I was up there & they were playing on the same night.

GO BLUES!

1a03e4770ee40ad4f2fd3d5f83365712.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Hemerocallis fulva, aka Tiger Daylily

Edible Daylily (Hemerocallis fulva) also known as the Orange daylily tawny daylily, common daylilies, fulvous daylily, ditch lily or the original wild orange daylily. Today it is well known for growing everywhere along the sides of roads nation wide in United States and Canada. The ornamental plant is native to Asia and is a infertile triploid and is famously known as the fast growing invasive daylily. H. Fulva tolerates heat and stress and difficult neglected areas with high humidity and rainfall and never rots. It will even flower in the shade and has low care requirements. The plant will grow in any soil and is a known fact that the plant is very vigorous and can over run your garden in no time. Because of its unique root system it is best grown in a container. This daylily species is hermaphrodite by nature. Even though Hemerocallis fulva has both male and female organs on the one flower, it is sterile and does not produce or set any seeds.

(For some reason my Google/Fu was in exceptional working order.)

Rarely seen around here, outside of a garden center.

Hot, dry, calichi instead of soil.

GEM

• Like 5

The Five Man Band finished the raid on the Smugglers yesterday, and then got attacked by the Undead Juggernaut when they thought they were safe in the barracks....

No fatalities.

None!

The cleric held back and popped healing spells and channeled Positive Energy on everybody that went down, stabilizing them, if not bringing them back into the fight. Even the NPC squaddies all survived - that is how big a difference having a cleric that is filling their role properly can make.

The Juggernaut (Dread Skeleton from Advanced Bestiary) was dealing a lot of damage, but Tom focused on keeping people alive.

So, the whole group is getting bonus XP. (And told them that I had expected casualties - that they played well enough that no one died!)

In this afternoon's game the Fearsome Foursome has begun their Raid on the Smuggler's Tavern - the Witch hexing the ogre, and pretty much preventing him from bull rushing out and opening a path.

Upstairs the rogue and the ranger tried talking to folks - and didn't notice the goblin runner ducking out and down to the sea caves, so the downstairs party wouldn't have had surprise - except that they started their assault before the goblin runner pelted downstairs to warn the smugglers about the raid.

The upstairs crew is also dealing with the act that, to all appearances, no one upstairs is involved with the smuggling ring.... (Not quite true - the bartender does know, as does the goblin beer back.)

A lack of night vision is causing problems for the downstairs crew - but no one has escaped... yet.

And, right now... I need some aloe vera... the sun was not kind to me on Sunday and Monday. (The sky was overcast after the game on Monday, but there weas still enough sun to lightly roast me.)

The Auld Grump - at the kids game right now... and no aloe at hand....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Last school concert of the year tonight.  I'm looking forward to it but it will be nice to have no evening plans during the week.  

Also almost done prepping stuff for teen daughter's trip to Japan.  If anyone has any advice on what to bring, let me know!  She's going to be part of a group tour so it's hard to go wrong, but she's also the one with the mysterious thyroid issues so I want to smooth as many difficulties as possible.

• Like 10