Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

About a dozen years ago, we were having a family reunion outside of Yellowstone NP for my grandmother's 95th birthday. In all, there were her two kids, her five grandchildren, and the families of those five grandchildren, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 people. The "cabin" we were staying in had a wooden deck with a wooden staircase down to the ground. We wanted to get a group photo, and my uncle really wanted everyone on that staircase. I flatly refused (which caused some hard feelings). We ended up with a shot that might not have been as well composed but that also didn't risk the collapse of a staircase with around 5000# of dynamic load.

Don't regret that refusal even one bit.

You engineering types are real kill joys :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

7 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

You engineering types are real kill joys :lol:

But they tend to live long enough to get really crotchety :devil:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 11

My laptop is starting to crap out. It was cheap though but didn't get as much life out of it as I'd have liked. For the time being I'm going to save up monies and get a (very?) low end gaming computer and forego my tattoo I want.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Also almost done prepping stuff for teen daughter's trip to Japan.  If anyone has any advice on what to bring, let me know!  She's going to be part of a group tour so it's hard to go wrong, but she's also the one with the mysterious thyroid issues so I want to smooth as many difficulties as possible.

A compact umbrella. It’s the start of the rainy season.

Cash. Credit card use is spotty at best. 

A coin purse. Smallest bill is $10 equivalent. She’ll have a lot of coins.

Backup battery for the phone.

Extra memory card and battery for any camera if not the phone.

Hmm. Think that’s all right off the top of my head. 

• Like 13

Oh, frozen water sportsball is still running?  Went to the nearby Dairy Queen as hubby wanted iced cream and there are several people standing around near the TV, watching the game...  And of course audio is cranked so the staff can watch too. 

Intriguing.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh, frozen water sportsball is still running? 

That's a wider definition of "ball" than I would use, but the answer now is "No".

Congratulations to the Blues on their first championship. ::D:

18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Went to the nearby Dairy Queen as hubby wanted iced cream and there are several people standing around near the TV, watching the game...  And of course audio is cranked so the staff can watch too. 

Intriguing.

And the CFL season starts tomorrow night. Welcome to the fall.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

And the CFL season starts tomorrow night. Welcome to the fall.

Eh, we don't have people do stupid celebrating here anywhere near as roughly or loudly as they do with the Oilers....  Even if the Eskimos did get like... Second place a few years ago. 

Of course, I also don't live in the Coliseum and Stadium area anymore, but still.  Getting home on game days back then sucked, but at the same time the police officers quickly recognized you as a local, and were also thankful I knew what they were going to ask for beforehand (during games, especially the hour before and hour after the nearby LRT stops are actively policed, to help reduce crimes of opportunity, but also to enforce the fact the LRT is something you have to pay for. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Delivery instructions: please do not ring doorbell! Baby is sleeping!

Might want to put a Post-It over the doorbell.  Just in case.  I currently do not have a doorbell, no regrets.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Might want to put a Post-It over the doorbell.  Just in case.  I currently do not have a doorbell, no regrets.  

With the notification on the Post-it that lifting the note will be viewed as an act of Vandalism and any loud noise while Baby Is Sleeping will be grounds for a Disturbing The Peace complaint being lodged.

GEM

Who would view the bouncer from the Mended Drum {Discworld} as an appropriate level of enforcement of the above regulations.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Delivery instructions: please do not ring doorbell! Baby is sleeping!

45 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I agree about the post-it note.  They're usually more obvious to a delivery driver, especially a courier, who will tend to just look at the address and then buzz, or knock loudly... or both...

I'm the same regarding doorbells.  We disabled ours years ago when someone had a kid that was running around the building as if it were they play area...  And kept ringing and running various suites...  At all times of the day and night.  Yeah, doorbell at 02:00....  If the building isn't burning down, you don't ring the doorbell at that time of day...  Or any time for that matter.  Silly people knocking on my door, thinking I'll answer when I'm not expecting anyone.  I barely even answer the buzzer if I'm not expecting anyone - unless it's a buzz precisely on the hour, and then precisely one hour later buzzed again.  Those ones you want to answer, since it's a really nice police officer delivering a subpoena.  Soooo glad that case finally finished, it was.... frustrating, being summoned something like 16 times as a witness for the same case.

• Like 11

Flgs magic worked!!

2019 Stanley  Cup Champions!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Yeah, I keep thinking I need to put a note on my doorbell. Because that thing always startles Baby. 

She looks funny when she gets startled. Like the spirit of Jesus is about to take her :lol: 

:rant on:

I'm having a crap night. Started out by getting an email from my manager about a guest who was all pissy over me being unavailable  last night during my pumping break. Said they waited 45 minutes (I was gone 25 minutes, which is barely enough time) and that I'd been super rude to them. Which I wasn't. I mean, I wouldn't tell them why I was taking a break, but that's none of their business. 

The rest of my  crap night is just because it's hella hot (no AC in the main building), hella busy (why do people always arrive so late in the summer), and I'm in a hellava lot of pain. I really wish I didn't have to work.

• Sad 20