Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Baby is chasing Hubby off the bed. He says she started on my side and has been scooting over all night. In the ten minutes between first getting home and bringing up a bottle, she had indeed scooted closer to him. He's perilously close to the edge. 

I dunno how she's moving, she's all swaddled up, looking like a worm.

It’s obvious, baby is telekinetic. It just takes longer when they’re that little the power isn’t fully developed yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Also, this mothers milk tea is... not good. I hope it works, otherwise I abused my taste buds for nothing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Huh. Why do people showing photos of alleged supernatural activity include big red circles around the supernatural bit, even if it’s really really really blatant?

Are they worried we’ll miss it?

Voilà:

Reveal hidden contents

white-lady-5.jpg

I would have missed it. 

With no circle I would see a badly lit photo of a girl in a derpy pose standing in front of a wall. 

:rock:

But the caption claiming supernatural hocus-pokus would get me scanning the wall for the face of Jesus or ghostly shadows or such. 

The red circle saves time. I can arrive at dismissing the nonsense faster. 

Bigger question: In the The Age of Photoshop why would anybody bother trying to present a visual image** as evidence of such things ??

Edited by TGP
**that ship has sailed, hit the reef, and foundered with all hands.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

I doubt she will have time to compare them to her data plan, but the airports offer rental Wi-Fi hot spots. I think Rika got a five week 3Gb/day for $75.

And there’s always Starbucks for free Wi-fi.

I had two options with our carrier:  $60 for 1GB for the whole trip or $10/day (only counting days she uses it) for as much data as our shared plan allows.  It's a ten day trip, so I'm just forking out the $100 and calling it good.  

But looking at her cheap, old point and shoot camera I'm thinking she needs a better option.  And I can't just give her my point and shoot camera, because I dropped it when I fell in heavy winds attempting to admire the big waves on our trip to Denmark last summer.  (Literally, the locals were all "hey, that's some nasty wind, check out the big waves".)  So my camera needs replacing anyway, since there's no telling when the grinding noise it makes will lead to total failure.  Travel is expensive....

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I had two options with our carrier:  $60 for 1GB for the whole trip or $10/day (only counting days she uses it) for as much data as our shared plan allows.  It's a ten day trip, so I'm just forking out the $100 and calling it good.  

But looking at her cheap, old point and shoot camera I'm thinking she needs a better option.  And I can't just give her my point and shoot camera, because I dropped it when I fell in heavy winds attempting to admire the big waves on our trip to Denmark last summer.  (Literally, the locals were all "hey, that's some nasty wind, check out the big waves".)  So my camera needs replacing anyway, since there's no telling when the grinding noise it makes will lead to total failure.  Travel is expensive....

If she has a relatively modern phone, the camera is likely to be quite good for snapshots. It will be weak in low light and won't be capable (at least easily) of certain sorts of artistic shots, but for normal vacation photography, a modern phone is quite good.

Now if she is a serious photography hobbyist who wants to get long-exposure shots of waterfalls (or whatever), that's a different thing.

Mostly, if you know what it is that a "better" camera will be used for that can't be done with the current phone/camera, then getting the better camera makes sense. (I spent around $1100 on getting a camera that had a few more buttons and one more scroll wheel. I consider the money well spent, because they made the kind of shots I was doing much easier.) But just getting something new because it's said to be better is often a waste of money. That said, if reliability is an issue, you might want to spring for something more reliable.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Mostly, if you know what it is that a "better" camera will be used for that can't be done with the current phone/camera, then getting the better camera makes sense. (I spent around $1100 on getting a camera that had a few more buttons and one more scroll wheel. I consider the money well spent, because they made the kind of shots I was doing much easier.) But just getting something new because it's said to be better is often a waste of money. That said, if reliability is an issue, you might want to spring for something more reliable.

Out of sheer curiosity, what are your thoughts on cameras like the Olympus Tough series?

I'm currently trying to justify the purchase of an X100F (or Ricoh GRIII, but I prefer 35mm over 28mm), but when it's the price of the new camera body I want it's difficult to justify (G9 has things my G85 just can't do, like a sensor that doesn't mimic a bowl of skittles after going thirty seconds or so into an exposure...  I want to be able to do two or three minute exposures with my camera).  X100F sure is smaller, and somewhat more discreet though. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, what are your thoughts on cameras like the Olympus Tough series?

For the right use case, they might make sense. They're small, rugged, and waterproof. If you're not going places where you wouldn't bring your phone (which would include some dive photography), the argument is harder to make.

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm currently trying to justify the purchase of an X100F (or Ricoh GRIII, but I prefer 35mm over 28mm), but when it's the price of the new camera body I want it's difficult to justify (G9 has things my G85 just can't do, like a sensor that doesn't mimic a bowl of skittles after going thirty seconds or so into an exposure...  I want to be able to do two or three minute exposures with my camera).  X100F sure is smaller, and somewhat more discreet though. 

It sounds like you have a specific use case that you're trying to manage, so finding a new body that will solve specific problems can make sense. I can't speak much to M4/3 details though, since I'm pretty wedded to the DSLR world. If you want to talk about why I both want and probably won't buy a Nikon D850, .... ::D:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If she has a relatively modern phone, the camera is likely to be quite good for snapshots. It will be weak in low light and won't be capable (at least easily) of certain sorts of artistic shots, but for normal vacation photography, a modern phone is quite good.

Now if she is a serious photography hobbyist who wants to get long-exposure shots of waterfalls (or whatever), that's a different thing.

I've taken a lot of pictures with an assortment of smartphones, many of which were supposed to have excellent cameras.  Somehow the pictures always end up being hit or miss, whereas the pictures I would take with my old Canon Elph always seemed to turn out better than I expected.  Plus there's the element of, "Do I want to hand my smartphone to a stranger to take a group picture?"  Honestly, I guess I just feel that as an adult with kids I should have at least one working dedicated camera in the house.  Which probably feeds into the reliability issue.  I mean, after almost ten years of faithful service my camera broke because I dropped it while trying to take an action shot.  It's not like it was gathering dust in my desk drawer.  

Edit:  Figured I should add that I do appreciate all the photography info you share, Doug.  I'm really just ranting against cell phone cameras because of personal experience, and it might be that I'm getting old and crotchety.  :;):

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Am sitting in an absolutely stunning gigantic cathedral-like space waiting for Secondborn’s high school graduation.

It’s not for an hour and a half yet, but we learned with Firstborn’s to show up good and early.

Also I got a miraculously good parking spot after dropping the rest of the family off.

Prolly should have brought a book. For the time being I’ve been taking architecture photographs.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Baby is chasing Hubby off the bed. He says she started on my side and has been scooting over all night. In the ten minutes between first getting home and bringing up a bottle, she had indeed scooted closer to him. He's perilously close to the edge. 

I dunno how she's moving, she's all swaddled up, looking like a worm.

A Derpling can go 34 burritos per hour.

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

28 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

A Derpling can go 34 burritos per hour.

This sounds like Buglipsian Moonbat Physics but! I know it is not because it has used a number that is beyond the bounds of Goblin Math. 

• Haha 16

Full sized burritos? Chipotle brand burritos (which are shorter than full sized)? Or frozen burritos (which are bite sized for rakshasa definitions of 'bite')?

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

44 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

“Do I want to hand my smartphone to a stranger to take a group picture?"

How about handing it to a stranger so they can scan a barcode or a coupon?

• Like 5

Musical Interludes on the graduation program will include “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac, “Vienna” by Billy Joel,  and “Under Pressure” by Queen.

PingosHusband noted that these are all older than the graduates.

The processional and recessional are total classics: Edward Elgar’s “Military March No. 1 in D” and William Boyce’s “Trumpet Tune.”

It was a bit of culture shock to discover that to the British Elgar’s tune just means ... Britain, sort of patriotically, like if they hear it it’s like a USAdian hearing “America the Beautiful.” Whereas if one of us hears it it means academia, caps and gowns, and little else.

I used to think it kept playing in Dangermouse to show how educated he was.

• Like 9