Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

This sounds like Buglipsian Moonbat Physics but! I know it is not because it has used a number that is beyond the bounds of Goblin Math. 

You're right, it exceeds the boundaries of Goblin Math. You could say that it's in the........Red zone. :devil:

• Haha 10

There has been some speculation about whether we’ll hear anything about a much-beloved biology teacher who was suddenly and shockingly fired in extremely sketchy circumstances last winter. Basically no one believes the admins, who are pretty unpopular and adversarial, that this was in any way justified.

The faculty have been wearing protest buttons much of the spring, and the students in wood shop have been making luggage tags in his support.

The place is beginning to fill up. I feel underdressed. Secondborn definitely is - most of the graduates seem to be in cocktail dresses / business suits. His attitude was it would all be under the gown anyway. So ... he’ll be in his fifty-states-names-as-the-American-flag t-shirt with his Charles I mane foofing.

For prom last week he wore a purple velvet frock coat over a frilly shirt and a good quality tricorn hat. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

For the right use case, they might make sense. They're small, rugged, and waterproof. If you're not going places where you wouldn't bring your phone (which would include some dive photography), the argument is harder to make.

It sounds like you have a specific use case that you're trying to manage, so finding a new body that will solve specific problems can make sense. I can't speak much to M4/3 details though, since I'm pretty wedded to the DSLR world. If you want to talk about why I both want and probably won't buy a Nikon D850, .... ::D:

Ooooh, the D850... That is one lovely beast of a camera. 

Funny story about cameras... I wanted a Nikon D7200 but only two reasons kept me away from it: I only had $1200 ($500 short for the D7200), and I didn't want to wait and save up.  I'll have to take a look and see how it would do in Stellarium with the telescopes I'm looking at, and how dark current energy is, because if it's similarly priced at KolariVision and can reach the targets I want to photograph, I might very well have to look at such.  Besides, I'm curious as to how the camera is with prime lenses, since the G9 is the second or third heaviest micro four thirds body on the market at the moment. 

My only real experience with dslrs has been with relatively heavy setups (Sigma 18-135 on a D7200) so when you're used to a small portable camera it's a noticeable difference when bouncing between the two.  Thing is though, Nikon has some seriously comfy grips, probably why Panasonic took inspiration from such for their G9. 

The X100F for me is, well.. I like it's compact size, it's lens, and naturally the effectively silent shutter.  G85 is quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as an X100F, which can be handy for street photography. 

I've seen some really, REALLY nice infrared photography from Nikon cameras... (well, okay, the biggest aspect is the person behind the camera, but a lot of my favorites were shot on Nikon) 

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

How about handing it to a stranger so they can scan a barcode or a coupon?

I almost growl at the 7-11 clerks when they try to take my phone out of my hands.  I've actually growled at Bose staff for trying to do such, because I've witnessed the lack of care they have towards other people's gear. <_<

You have a long cord on the scanner, I moved phone close, just scan the barcode, and no touchy my phone! 

... I'm also someone that growls at others if they touch my computer without my explicit permission though.  Same with my turntables... :ph34r:

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 12

:lol:

The organist is warming up.

Right now he’s playing Frederic Handel’s “The Entrance of the Queen of Sheba,” a.k.a. The “Masterpiece Theatre theme song.”

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ooooh, the D850... That is one lovely beast of a camera. 

Yeah, I have a D810 at work, with the 24-70 f/2.8 for most of my work. (Just now left the studio, in fact.) It's really nice. It's also a tank, especially if you're used to an M4/3 or a compact.

But while I really like photography, I'm not going to drop $6000 for personal work.

Funny story about cameras... I wanted a Nikon D7200 but only two reasons kept me away from it: I only had $1200 ($500 short for the D7200), and I didn't want to wait and save up.  I'll have to take a look and see how it would do in Stellarium with the telescopes I'm looking at, and how dark current energy is, because if it's similarly priced at KolariVision and can reach the targets I want to photograph, I might very well have to look at such.  Besides, I'm curious as to how the camera is with prime lenses, since the G9 is the second or third heaviest micro four thirds body on the market at the moment. 

The D7200 is my current body. I have a few primes, but since I do most of my work when out hiking, I mostly shoot the 18-200. It's heavier than a prime, but it's not heavier than three primes, and it gives me the compositional flexibility I want without constant lens changes. I also have a Sigma 10-20 when I need to go really wide. I don't usually take the 150-500 with me unless I'm in my car. It gives me shots I can't otherwise get, but it's hunormous.

With a 35mm prime, it's not really heavy (and quite a lot lighter than the D810), but it's not at all in the range of an M4/3 with a pancake lens.

One of the best things, though, is that I very seldom have to go to my backup battery in the course of a day's shooting.

My only real experience with dslrs has been with relatively heavy setups (Sigma 18-135 on a D7200) so when you're used to a small portable camera it's a noticeable difference when bouncing between the two.  Thing is though, Nikon has some seriously comfy grips, probably why Panasonic took inspiration from such for their G9. 

At times a heavier setup can be an advantage. They tend toward fewer problems with hand stability. But they're definitely more work to carry.

The X100F for me is, well.. I like it's compact size, it's lens, and naturally the effectively silent shutter.  G85 is quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as an X100F, which can be handy for street photography. 

DSLRs can be quiet-ish, but they will never be silent unless they're in a blimp. But there's no delay or smearing in the display, since it's optical. But you can't tell what the exposure is going to look like until after the shot either.

I've seen some really, REALLY nice infrared photography from Nikon cameras... (well, okay, the biggest aspect is the person behind the camera, but a lot of my favorites were shot on Nikon) 

It looks like IR conversion is now available even for P&S cameras, which I didn't know. Around the $200 - $300 range.

I've mostly seen people take their older body to do that with. Hmm, I have a D7000 body, ....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

:lol:

The organist is warming up.

Right now he’s playing Frederic Handel’s “The Entrance of the Queen of Sheba,” a.k.a. The “Masterpiece Theatre theme song.”

Years ago I went to a friend's college graduation ceremony. No organ. But the marching band was there in full. They chose a JP Sousa theme. For the recessional (the grads leaving) They went with....

The Liberty Bell March

Edited by TGP
typo **grumble**
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Update: Somebody bought my Julie Gurthrie skellies. :down:

But I'm sure they'll have a happy home now, and for that I'm glad.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

You all laughed when I said that I'd spray colour into the air and cover everything. YOU ALL LAUGHED!!!!!!!

20190613_140701.thumb.jpg.f664b9c15e80dc88e32039bc4860efe7.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! *airbrushes everyone and everything*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yeah, I have a D810 at work, with the 24-70 f/2.8 for most of my work. (Just now left the studio, in fact.) It's really nice. It's also a tank, especially if you're used to an M4/3 or a compact.

But while I really like photography, I'm not going to drop $6000 for personal work.

That's kind of my problem with it all... G9 is a pretty good stills camera, but I also really want the GH5S due to how it's sensor works, almost DSLR like noise floor, and a few other things...  But that's $4600ish in camera bodies alone - even more if I got the GH5S modded direct from KolariVision.  If I did go ahead with such, my G85 would wind up being used as a webcam for streaming and/or Google Hangouts. 

The D7200 is my current body. I have a few primes, but since I do most of my work when out hiking, I mostly shoot the 18-200. It's heavier than a prime, but it's not heavier than three primes, and it gives me the compositional flexibility I want without constant lens changes. I also have a Sigma 10-20 when I need to go really wide. I don't usually take the 150-500 with me unless I'm in my car. It gives me shots I can't otherwise get, but it's hunormous.

Oh gawds yeah, the guy who let me hold his D7200 for a bit got that for one of his trips as he's a landscape photographer... That lens barely left his vehicle, but he was sooo happy with what he was able to capture because of it. 

While I love my prime lenses, I've been using zooms more often as of late because of that simple convenience.  My Lumix 12-60 never leaves my bag, it's always with me (although if I get the new 10-25mm f1.7 since it just barely scraped under my "I won't buy it" price range, and I also get the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 it might not stay in the bag), but I'm tempted to try out the new Lumix 14-140 II because I'm regularly wishing I had the flexibility hubby's Olympus 14-150mm. 

With a 35mm prime, it's not really heavy (and quite a lot lighter than the D810), but it's not at all in the range of an M4/3 with a pancake lens.

Good thing I fell in love with the Olympus f1.2 lenses then, since they're heavier :p   haven't bought any yet though.  Absolutely love that clutch focus mechanism, and the lenses balance reaaaally nicely on my G85. 

One of the best things, though, is that I very seldom have to go to my backup battery in the course of a day's shooting.

This is something I sort of worry about... Although I've yet to kill a battery in a session, I've also never taken more than 200 photos in a day. 

At times a heavier setup can be an advantage. They tend toward fewer problems with hand stability. But they're definitely more work to carry.

DSLRs can be quiet-ish, but they will never be silent unless they're in a blimp. But there's no delay or smearing in the display, since it's optical. But you can't tell what the exposure is going to look like until after the shot either.

Both have their pros and cons.  I suspect before buying the G9 I'll rent stuff from various companies to get a feel for it.  Huge difference carrying it around all day versus a minute in the shop, and I'm curious as to how Nikons are for handling, since I've wanted one for two decades now. 

It looks like IR conversion is now available even for P&S cameras, which I didn't know. Around the $200 - $300 range.

I've mostly seen people take their older body to do that with. Hmm, I have a D7000 body, ....

Yeah, I was originally planning on just sending my G85 in when I got the G9, but ever since I started contemplating the video side of things (and just how silent the noise on a long exposure for the GH5S is) it's been tempting to just order a modded GH5S.  Sure, it means I HAVE to have a special hot mirror filter up front whenever I want to do regular photography, but it also "saves" me from buying a laptop and a dedicated astrophotography camera... 

And yup, KolariVision offers a nice modified Canon point and shoot for just over $200 USD, with either three filters, or their new Aero Chrome filter (err, IRchrome apparently is what they called it).  I've considered it, but it's hard to say.  I think LifePixel also offers modified point and shoot cameras, but haven't checked their site recently. 

• Like 4

Started at 830AM and just finished the landscaping around the patio and new gazebo,pergola thing. Turned out nice. Now I will take some drugs for my back and then go to a local college where I will be taking a basic welding course. It is about 50/50 if I need the chiropractor tomorrow...

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 9

17 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This is something I sort of worry about... Although I've yet to kill a battery in a session, I've also never taken more than 200 photos in a day. 

I have days when I take fewer than 200 photos. Not good days, mind. :B):

17 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And yup, KolariVision offers a nice modified Canon point and shoot for just over $200 USD, with either three filters, or their new Aero Chrome filter (err, IRchrome apparently is what they called it).  I've considered it, but it's hard to say.  I think LifePixel also offers modified point and shoot cameras, but haven't checked their site recently. 

LifePixel was where I saw the pricing.

If you ever find yourself in Colorado or if you get to ReaperCon, let me know and you're welcome to try my cameras.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Baby is chasing Hubby off the bed. He says she started on my side and has been scooting over all night. In the ten minutes between first getting home and bringing up a bottle, she had indeed scooted closer to him. He's perilously close to the edge. 

I dunno how she's moving, she's all swaddled up, looking like a worm.

I did that to Grumpy once, when we first got together. He tried to give me space, I'd snuggle closer, he'd try to give me space, I snuggled closer, he tried to give me space and Bwump! Right on the floor!  :lol:

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Years ago I went to a friend's college graduation ceremony. No organ. But the marching band was there in full. The went for a JP Sousa theme. For the recessional (the grads leaving) They went with....

The Liberty Bell March

Did a giant foot come down and squash them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, TGP said:

How about handing it to a stranger so they can scan a barcode or a coupon?

I do not do this.  Clerk's here let you hold your phone while they struggle to scan the bar code.  

And I remembered the scenario where my cell phone camera is awful: school concerts.  The stage lights are too bright. Unfortunately I forgot to try and bring a traditional camera yesterday so I didn't test it out in that scenario.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You all laughed when I said that I'd spray colour into the air and cover everything. YOU ALL LAUGHED!!!!!!!

20190613_140701.thumb.jpg.f664b9c15e80dc88e32039bc4860efe7.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! *airbrushes everyone and everything*

THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT IS FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M TELLING MOM!

MOMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!  PEZLER'S PAINTING EVERYTHING AGAIN!

• Haha 13