Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

My fangirliness is diminishing. 

As of today:

 

2 Canadian Dollar equals

1.49 United States Dollar

 

 

(I wonder if the new integrated store website is making on-the-fly dynamic  calculations for stuff like this and this is more of an unintended consequence than an unannounced plan.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

As of today:

 

2 Canadian Dollar equals

1.49 United States Dollar

 

 

(I wonder if the new integrated store website is making on-the-fly dynamic  calculations for stuff like this and this is more of an unintended consequence than an unannounced plan.)

Which means it's probably around $1.35 CAD to buy $1.  Ouch.  I miss those 18 months of parity. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Which means it's probably around $1.35 CAD to buy $1.  Ouch.  I miss those 18 months of parity. 

So do I. It's hard to raise my contract rate with my Canadian client when the disparity is doing it for me, and I'm not seeing anything additional. 

This just happened:

Get a circuit board in from the lab that I asked them to thoroughly test so I can figure out what's happening at a customer's site.  The board comes back with a report saying everything on the board tests fine, only thing wrong was some missing fuses.  Throw the board on to my test set to program it so I can send it back to the customer - and it DAMAGES MY TEST SET PRINTER, giving me the exact same symptom my customer had. 

On the up side, I now know exactly what happened at the customer's site, and how to fix it. 

On the down side, this means the lab didn't thoroughly test the board at all - in fact, it means they barely tested it.    Somebody's getting reamed over this...

  • Like 3
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

I have raised this issue before.  It's not that change happens and is necessary, it's that people get real tired of having unpleasant surprises dropped on them.

 

- The metal dragons being dropped made sense once I found out why, but it was done AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY

- The HD line getting dropped and some of it re-branded made sense, but they did it like two weeks before Reapercon AND two weeks before the pledge manager closed and suddenly split people's funds 3 ways.

- The DHL Army Packs being dropped AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY

- Shipping threshold more than doubles AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY

 

Why even have a livestream or social media?  This is the frustrating part of it for me, because Reaper doesn't understand why people get mad at them.  THIS IS WHY PEOPLE GET MAD.  

 

Some greater degree of transparency is necessary, because doing it this way increases friction between money getting from customers into Reaper's pocket.  It erodes good will.  It is a not-insignificant factor as to why my Vallejo and Warlord Games collections are growing.  And I can tell you there's a lot of people who feel a lot worse about it than I do.

 

As hobby consumers with limited budgets, we have to plan things out over some particular length of time and surprise disruptions range from annoying to devastating.  I had just begun replacing my old Pro Paints with HD in May 2018, after long deliberation about whether or not to risk buying a new whole line, and literally said to @Guindyloo  that I'm going to go for it, I think I have enough time and budget to get all the HD over 4-5 months, I'm going to risk it - but, swear to god, if they drop that line halfway through I'm done getting them, I'm walking away and never coming back.

 

Which is exactly what would have happened had my house not burned down (this making the exercise irrelevant in any case).  If I had gotten halfway through that and found myself stranded with half a paint set AGAIN (for the third time) I would have gone to Reapercon, played nice, come home, and never been seen again.  That's how mad that would have made me.  That's how much this SILENT TREATMENT and HORRIBLE SURPRISE roasts my chestnuts.  

 

As it is, it made me salty enough I'm not even going to touch the Pathfinder paints because I can't be sure how long they will be around and I'm tired of collecting OOP paint I can never replace.  

 

And this is me, Buglips, getting this upset about how this is done.  I spent my own money to send them Ed Shirts for a gag, I'm that much of a Reaper fan and want to help make things fun and great.  And I'm still one foot out the door already because of crap communication and sudden surprises.  And most of it is stuff I would understand and roll with, if it wasn't just dropped on me all the time.  I shouldn't feel like I'm on tenterhooks just trying to figure out how and when to buy stuff, and I definitely shouldn't start feeling shy about whether or not I want money to leave my wallet.    

 

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I still have some rant in the tank, so I'm making another post.  The reason I find this stuff with Reaper so particularly frustrating is because there's almost no sense of the dynamic of Anti-Hype.  Everybody understands Hype, almost nobody gives much thought to its dark cousin.  

 

Hype is easy.  You have X New Product, you announce it well in advance, you get buzz and excitement going, and sales ensue.  Right?  Reaper does this well, this is why we know about Pathfinder paints.  We don't just go to the store one day and find a surprise paint set lying there.  That would be stupid.  

 

For stuff like movies and shows, etc. Hype on its own is fine and there's no real need to think about Anti-Hype.  It's not a relevant process because the market dynamic is front-loaded.

 

Reaper, however, doesn't work that way.  Reaper is more long-tail, because they have to sustain money flow for product.  It's not just one and done.  This is why Reaper is more vulnerable to friction, but can benefit from self-achieved consumer-driven hype (i.e. I like X, so I will tell people X is great, more of X reaches more people).  This is a FREE marketing machine.

 

Anti-Hype works exactly the same way as a reverse dynamic.  Bad word of mouth spreads.  And just like announcing things in advance builds Hype, dropping things with no word builds Anti-Hype.  Really, long-standing products at their end of life should be treated like Hype except in reverse.  In that if you have to drop something, or adjust prices, or other bad news that should be announced before it takes effect.   This allows time to explain why it is necessary, and get your exsiting customer goodwill on your side to help lessen the impact of bad news.  It means that people have time to adjust their purchase plans to work around it instead of just leaving them angry and hanging.  

 

All of this frustrates me because i am strongly motivated to help introduce people to Reaper and to help direct them to find satisfying products to buy, love, and enjoy.  And Reaper is my greatest enemy when trying to do this.  I have no idea what's even going on anymore.  I have to be very careful recommending things because I can't tell how long they will even exist.  At least twice I have recommended products that no longer exist and didn't know it.

 

Anti-Hype gains ground there, friction commences.  Reaper's generating bad word-of-mouth and squandering goodwill, and it makes me mad because they're doing it for no reason.  It's a solvable issue that can be mostly eliminated.  More happy people, less friction, more spending.  

 

Another point I'd like to make is that sometimes things do, necessarily, happen by surprise and there's nothing to be done about it.  Maintaining goodwill where necessary can go a long way towards mitigating the impact of these events, and is much better than pre-priming the customer base to get mad at "yet another time the company drops the ball and frustrates us".  

 

We all want to love Reaper, we just want Reaper to maybe make it a little easier to love them.  

 

 

Quoted cause I can only like it once. 

 

They really need to do better... I miss their previous "face."

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fun moment from yesterday’s graduation.

 

All around the high school graduation people are preparing for the university graduations. We were parked in a long stretch of parkland which goes right through the university. As we walked in, a crew was setting up a large bandshell in a massive, lush grassy field.

 

I was wearing a nice long black dress because yeah, my husband and I were in our long black leather coats because nice occasion in unseasonably cool weather, and I was wearing really dark sunglasses (doctor’s orders).

 

Hours later, in the sweet evening sunshine, graduated, fed, fêted and socialized, we headed back to our car, cutting across this gigantic grassy field between long lines of trees.

 

Just as the crew started their sound tests.

 

It didn’t seem really loud but it surrounded us. It was like, you are the protagonist in a film and this is the soundtrack. It was everywhere.

 

It was “Axel F”.”

 

Of course we started bopping. It was just perfect, on the soft lush grass at the end of a fine day.

 

 

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

So do I. It's hard to raise my contract rate with my Canadian client when the disparity is doing it for me, and I'm not seeing anything additional. 

This just happened:

Get a circuit board in from the lab that I asked them to thoroughly test so I can figure out what's happening at a customer's site.  The board comes back with a report saying everything on the board tests fine, only thing wrong was some missing fuses.  Throw the board on to my test set to program it so I can send it back to the customer - and it DAMAGES MY TEST SET PRINTER, giving me the exact same symptom my customer had. 

On the up side, I now know exactly what happened at the customer's site, and how to fix it. 

On the down side, this means the lab didn't thoroughly test the board at all - in fact, it means they barely tested it.    Somebody's getting reamed over this...

And to show you how my day is going...

...before I reamed anyone, I tested things again just to make sure I had all my ducks in a row, and the dang thing is working, even my "damaged" board.

On the upside, it means the lab probably did test it, and I didn't make a fool of myself by accusing them (directly) of not doing their job. 

On the downside, it means I have no idea why it wasn't working before, why it works now, nor what to do about the customer. 

on the coping side, I'm going to see if I can get a Reaper Gremlin mini or two painted, and photograph them standing on the circuit board, and point to that as the problem. 

  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to go home.

 

Nobody would stop me from leaving the office.

 

...but the subway line has been completely elfed since a derailment earlier in the week, and I don't want to go push through rush hour crowds to get on a train. Yesterday, I had to skip a train because it was too full to hole everyone. On Tuesday, I had to wait three trains.

 

*sigh*

  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Crowley said:

 

Quoted cause I can only like it once. 

 

They really need to do better... I miss their previous "face."

I miss Bryan. :down:

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off to date night dinner at yet another Chinese restaurant. You'd think living here for a couple of years that we'd be running out of new one to try... You'd be wrong. 

 

And that doesn't even count all the little take out places!

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Some rude guy just swore at me for wishing him good luck. <_<

 

Seriously, why do I even try to be nice? These people still treat me like dirt, no matter how nice I am to them.

'Cause you're a better person.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been keeping busy cleaning floors, making cinnamon twists, running a couple of errands...  Still haven't gotten the test results I'm waiting for, though.  Waiting sucks.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it, I was very tired this morning after work (anther lonely night throwing a bigger load, but the grocery manager did come in around 3 this morning to give me a hand) & I was gonna go straight to bed after a shower. As I walk to work ( I live within 15-20 mins of walking distance), I listen to my phone & I was listening to Depeche Mode as I walked into the door. I heated up a bite to eat, then I fed the squirrels, & kinda peeked over the fence to see if the bunny was nearby. I went back in the house, ate my food & then proceeded to zone out on DM & I fell asleep in the chair for about 10 mins. Now I haven't slept a wink since..... I guess that time of the year where I go all day with just 10 mins of sleep. I do need to sleep as I work tonight (a short shift again) & hey co-worker FINALLY comes back tomorrow night. Thou in the meantime, I must order pizza for dinner.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sibling said:

OK So why did you let @Pezler the Polychromatic fly one/some of those aircraft? ::P:

You're assuming that I asked first. ::P:

 

Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! *does barrel roll*

 

*falls out of cockpit* Mistakes were maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade.....................................

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

I have raised this issue before.  It's not that change happens and is necessary, it's that people get real tired of having unpleasant surprises dropped on them.

 

- The metal dragons being dropped made sense once I found out why, but it was done AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY

- The HD line getting dropped and some of it re-branded made sense, but they did it like two weeks before Reapercon AND two weeks before the pledge manager closed and suddenly split people's funds 3 ways.

- The DHL Army Packs being dropped AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY

- Shipping threshold more than doubles AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY

 

Why even have a livestream or social media?  This is the frustrating part of it for me, because Reaper doesn't understand why people get mad at them.  THIS IS WHY PEOPLE GET MAD.  

 

Some greater degree of transparency is necessary, because doing it this way increases friction between money getting from customers into Reaper's pocket.  It erodes good will.  It is a not-insignificant factor as to why my Vallejo and Warlord Games collections are growing.  And I can tell you there's a lot of people who feel a lot worse about it than I do.

 

As hobby consumers with limited budgets, we have to plan things out over some particular length of time and surprise disruptions range from annoying to devastating.  I had just begun replacing my old Pro Paints with HD in May 2018, after long deliberation about whether or not to risk buying a new whole line, and literally said to @Guindyloo  that I'm going to go for it, I think I have enough time and budget to get all the HD over 4-5 months, I'm going to risk it - but, swear to god, if they drop that line halfway through I'm done getting them, I'm walking away and never coming back.

 

Which is exactly what would have happened had my house not burned down (this making the exercise irrelevant in any case).  If I had gotten halfway through that and found myself stranded with half a paint set AGAIN (for the third time) I would have gone to Reapercon, played nice, come home, and never been seen again.  That's how mad that would have made me.  That's how much this SILENT TREATMENT and HORRIBLE SURPRISE roasts my chestnuts.  

 

As it is, it made me salty enough I'm not even going to touch the Pathfinder paints because I can't be sure how long they will be around and I'm tired of collecting OOP paint I can never replace.  

 

And this is me, Buglips, getting this upset about how this is done.  I spent my own money to send them Ed Shirts for a gag, I'm that much of a Reaper fan and want to help make things fun and great.  And I'm still one foot out the door already because of crap communication and sudden surprises.  And most of it is stuff I would understand and roll with, if it wasn't just dropped on me all the time.  I shouldn't feel like I'm on tenterhooks just trying to figure out how and when to buy stuff, and I definitely shouldn't start feeling shy about whether or not I want money to leave my wallet.    

 

5 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I still have some rant in the tank, so I'm making another post.  The reason I find this stuff with Reaper so particularly frustrating is because there's almost no sense of the dynamic of Anti-Hype.  Everybody understands Hype, almost nobody gives much thought to its dark cousin.  

 

Hype is easy.  You have X New Product, you announce it well in advance, you get buzz and excitement going, and sales ensue.  Right?  Reaper does this well, this is why we know about Pathfinder paints.  We don't just go to the store one day and find a surprise paint set lying there.  That would be stupid.  

 

For stuff like movies and shows, etc. Hype on its own is fine and there's no real need to think about Anti-Hype.  It's not a relevant process because the market dynamic is front-loaded.

 

Reaper, however, doesn't work that way.  Reaper is more long-tail, because they have to sustain money flow for product.  It's not just one and done.  This is why Reaper is more vulnerable to friction, but can benefit from self-achieved consumer-driven hype (i.e. I like X, so I will tell people X is great, more of X reaches more people).  This is a FREE marketing machine.

 

Anti-Hype works exactly the same way as a reverse dynamic.  Bad word of mouth spreads.  And just like announcing things in advance builds Hype, dropping things with no word builds Anti-Hype.  Really, long-standing products at their end of life should be treated like Hype except in reverse.  In that if you have to drop something, or adjust prices, or other bad news that should be announced before it takes effect.   This allows time to explain why it is necessary, and get your exsiting customer goodwill on your side to help lessen the impact of bad news.  It means that people have time to adjust their purchase plans to work around it instead of just leaving them angry and hanging.  

 

All of this frustrates me because i am strongly motivated to help introduce people to Reaper and to help direct them to find satisfying products to buy, love, and enjoy.  And Reaper is my greatest enemy when trying to do this.  I have no idea what's even going on anymore.  I have to be very careful recommending things because I can't tell how long they will even exist.  At least twice I have recommended products that no longer exist and didn't know it.

 

Anti-Hype gains ground there, friction commences.  Reaper's generating bad word-of-mouth and squandering goodwill, and it makes me mad because they're doing it for no reason.  It's a solvable issue that can be mostly eliminated.  More happy people, less friction, more spending.  

 

Another point I'd like to make is that sometimes things do, necessarily, happen by surprise and there's nothing to be done about it.  Maintaining goodwill where necessary can go a long way towards mitigating the impact of these events, and is much better than pre-priming the customer base to get mad at "yet another time the company drops the ball and frustrates us".  

 

We all want to love Reaper, we just want Reaper to maybe make it a little easier to love them.  

 

 

 

So, Ambush planned for Thursday, or are you just going to neaten this up into one polite letter and send it to them?

 

'cause I would.

Ambush might be the wrong word.. but... y'know. ^^;

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×