Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

Sometimes, life likes to remind me that I'm not just getting older, but actually aging.

 

Case and point: In the last month, I've been finding myself having a harder time reading small print when close to my face, or even reading what's on my smartphone in darkness.

 

Hello presbyopia! You were expected. Now go away! :grr:

 

[Oh no, it's moving in and unpacking its suitcase.]

 

On the plus side: Insurance pays for glasses and eye exam!

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

 

*Has mental image of Red playing with building blocks in the court's day care center.*

 

The Auld Grump - it... doesn't seem that unlikely. ::P:

Only if they don't have tempera paints.

GEM

Today is officially

National Plan For Vacation Day

Are you putting the final polish on your plans to attend ReaperCon?

GEM

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Red, I've found that while I really enjoy her videos, they are not something I can watch at work.  She speaks so fast (part of her charm) that I cannot focus on work and even begin to absorb anything she says.  This makes me a sad panda ::(:.  Love her videos, though, especially the Tropes series. 

Just got the call from my kid's schools that there will be no school tomorrow due to the cold temperatures.   Which I'm sure will elate my son, as he's been pestering my wife and I with text messages ALL DAY begging to not have to go out in the cold tomorrow. He's even been digging up facts about how quickly someone can get frostbite and die in that extreme cold and telling us those facts. 

 

  • Haha 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

I sometimes wonder if they realize what they're getting with me.

 

On paper I look pretty, uhm, malleable, maybe? Art school graduate, self employed artist, nothing extraordinary.

 

But before I realized art was my calling and transferred to that art school I went to an insanely difficult to get into university notorious for its rigor. I had the chops to get accepted, once upon a time, and a lot of my friends are still academics.

 

The one time I was picked for a jury I was ill from food poisoning and not at my best. I'm sure I looked unpromising. The juror who became our foreman was an immensely tall man with a beard and a shaved head and leather clothing who was, it turned out, of the mildly Right political persuasion and was native to my neighborhood. We had some interesting conversations, since we were not allowed to talk about the case.

I have only sat for jury duty once - and never got to deliberate, since the defendant pled about halfway through the first session - we had a recess, and it was over before we could sit back down.

 

The one time I had to be a witness in court was almost as short - a woman that had been talking on her cell phone as she ran somebody over, with a defense of 'I thought I had stopped'.

 

People had been banging on her window before she had noticed her freakin' wheels rolling over a man's legs.

 

The high point was the judge explaining that she had just confessed to the crime in court.

 

I love people, but they repeat on me something awful.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Speaking of Red, I've found that while I really enjoy her videos, they are not something I can watch at work.  She speaks so fast (part of her charm) that I cannot focus on work and even begin to absorb anything she says.  This makes me a sad panda ::(:.  Love her videos, though, especially the Tropes series. 

Just got the call from my kid's schools that there will be no school tomorrow due to the cold temperatures.   Which I'm sure will elate my son, as he's been pestering my wife and I with text messages ALL DAY begging to not have to go out in the cold tomorrow. He's even been digging up facts about how quickly someone can get frostbite and die in that extreme cold and telling us those facts. 

 

Smart kid. That's the sort of behavior I'd want to reward!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are starting a small Starfinder campaign, mainly as a teaching aid to some of my newer players so they can get some of their need for exposition out without leaving the rest of the party tapping their toes in impatience.

 

However, I don't know what will become of the game.  with the characters they created the game literally starts with: "A cricket, a mouse and a lizard walk into a bar..."  It is going to be interesting to see the punchline, because I know its coming.

 

3 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have only sat for jury duty once - and never got to deliberate, since the defendant pled about halfway through the first session - we had a recess, and it was over before we could sit back down.

 

The one time I had to be a witness in court was almost as short - a woman that had been talking on her cell phone as she ran somebody over, with a defense of 'I thought I had stopped'.

 

People had been banging on her window before she had noticed her freakin' wheels rolling over a man's legs.

 

The high point was the judge explaining that she had just confessed to the crime in court.

 

I love people, but they repeat on me something awful.

 

The Auld Grump

I am hoping the look on both the defense attorney and the defendant as they realized what happened was worth the wait. 

 

People scare me with how unaware they can be of their surroundings. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Silly/ stupid question, how do you 'rest' your soul?

I like to be alone in a natural-ish setting for that. A sufficiently quiet park can do the trick for me, but sometimes I need a forest or a beach. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

I /love/ this reaction. I hardly ever get to see it firsthand but hearing about how excited people are with their PC or the monster minis makes my day.

I was secret Santa for a gamer at work, and painted a miniature for her - so far she has had four offers to buy the mini off of her. ::P:

 

The one I will always cherish though involved a cop. I was walking home from a game, carrying my miniatures in a pistol case, at around two in the morning.

 

The cop rolled up to me, and asked what I had in the pistol case, and I showed him.

 

About two weeks later the cop stopped me again... and introduced his partner, who gamed. I ended up selling a couple of minis and getting some commissions that night. ::P:

 

The Auld Grump - he played Empire in Warhammer, and really liked my ogres. (Back when there was an Empire, and Ogres were part of that Empire....)

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Smart kid. That's the sort of behavior I'd want to reward!

It's a kid who is just looking for any excuse to stay home and play Destiny 2. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game night!

 

So looking forward to this!

 

I wonder how long it will take people to realize that my hero's bombastic bravado and braggadocio is to hide the fact that he is terrified he will screw this up. :lol:  So, not only boasting and bragging, but also trying really hard to actually be a hero. If I cannot use the fat adventurer mini for him, I can at least make him that fat adventurer on the inside!  ::):

 

And this week, he gets introduced to Megan's witch's parents.

 

***

At work, I accidentally listened to a woman that is breaking up with her current boyfriend - because she and her new boyfriend 'are doing sooo much drugs together'. <_<

 

Which made me wonder how Megan and I getting together looks from the outside 'we are doing sooo much D&D together....' ::D:

 

The Auld Grump - I can be a bit judgemental....

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

@buglips*the*goblin That looks like some serious D-Day plans...

 

I got overexcited at Reapercon and while I was digging through the box of Bolt Action that Mario from Frontline Games brought up, Kuro Cleanbrush told me he'd messed up his class schedule so if I wanted to paint it had to be right away.  In my rush I grabbed quite a lot of americans.  Got some US soldier figures, too.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aww man, I go away for a little while, and the new thread smell is gone, and replaced by goblin stank.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Smart kid. That's the sort of behavior I'd want to reward!

It's a kid who is just looking for any excuse to stay home and play Destiny 2. 

Who am I to judge a gamer's motivation? 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×