Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

10 hours ago, Flamehawke said:

Ummm. Hi all. Sorry for long silence...

Hi! Welcome back, and congratulations. ::):

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We found the hotel without too much trouble [only about 3 miles of backtracking and u turn maneuvers [some of which took three blocks to accomplish].

Check in and there is  notice at the Front Desk that there is a $20 a day "Resort Fee".  Reapercons headquarters hotel is more of  resort than this place.<_<

When we were away from the Front Desk I explained to SWMBO that no matter how much lipstick is used, even if applied by Max Factor, it's still a pig and you are still standing in the middle of the Pigsty.

Ever showered in a stall with no door?  I have now.  Turn on the water and as soon as it starts getting warm the cold air from the rest of the room starts circulating into the stall.:angry:  Then the temperature starts fluctuating, up and down after 10:00 PM at night!:grr:

Sounds  like a wonderful place. I've been to someplace like that; did not like, and so far have managed not to repeat the experience.

RE: Reaper communication shenanigans--You need to let them know about it. Somebody started a thread here on the board; that's good, but too limited in scope. Has anybody brought it up on FB? I'm fairly sure that's a 'yes', but if not, it needs to be. Further, use FB and all the other social media outlets to organize a letter/email campaign. If they get a few thousand upset emails all at once, maybe they'll take notice. Ask the questions on Reaper live. (I haven't checked it out, so I have no idea how it works) If one person asks, that can be ignored; if 50 or so ask, it's a little harder to ignore.

Most importantly: BE POLITE and PROFESSIONAL.

Jump up and down, scream and yell and holler, rant, cry, whine, swear, whatever, just get it out of your system before you engage with them. Once you're able to be a civilized and polite member of society, THEN send your emails, etc.

I don't run a business (nor do I pretend to on TV), but I would respond much better to polite complaints and listing of grievances than to deal with a bunch of  'YUR THE  WORST, YOU GUYZ SUXXORS!!'

ETA---Yes, they really do need to get someone to take over the vacant PR/Face of Reaper position.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Flamehawke said:

Ummm. Hi all. Sorry for long silence...

Lady Flamehawke! Welcome back and a BIG congratulations!!! I've been wondering what happened to you. Do you still have Angus (wrong spelling, I know, but I don't recall the correct spelling). 

Here's a picture of what happened in my life since you've been gone ^_^ 

IMG_2354.thumb.JPG.151419a9aca93da71eb10d11b818de3f.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

So I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't blame Reaper for not announcing bad news in advance. If they anmounce it in advance many will object about the news and will complain again when Reaper does not change the decision in spite of the opposition from fans and customers. If they don't announce in advance then many fans and customers (maybe the same, maybe others) will object to the change and complain about the lack of communication. I dont see that either strategy is more success oriented for the company. I think I would deliver the bad news when I had to and move on, focusing on communicating the good news.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Alice and Lucy don’t like fireworks?

They do not! Both will bolt if we're out on a walk when they happen. Which is why I keep them on leash... One of the reasons anyway. 

Coffee!!

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

So I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't blame Reaper for not announcing bad news in advance. If they anmounce it in advance many will object about the news and will complain again when Reaper does not change the decision in spite of the opposition from fans and customers.

More than that, if you announce it in advance, you get people irritated (and probably vocal) when you make the announcement, possibly (as you say) irritated and vocal when you don't change your decision, and then irritated and vocal once more when you finally implement the new policy. This stretches out the bad feelings over time and amplifies the negative PR effect.

Though I would announce discontinuations a bit in advance as @buglips*the*goblin suggested, and make an event of "Last chance to order N". (This has the advantage of increasing sales, probably, as well.)

59 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

If they don't announce in advance then many fans and customers (maybe the same, maybe others) will object to the change and complain about the lack of communication. I dont see that either strategy is more success oriented for the company. I think I would deliver the bad news when I had to and move on, focusing on communicating the good news.

Pull off the bandage once and quickly.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

It's a mix of both. ThinkGeek was bought by Gamestop years ago, and this is the end result. They're shutting down their own operations and being moved to a small corner of Gamestop's website. In the process their rewards program is being killed and their selection is being cut down.

I haven't bought anything from ThinkGeek in years. Much of the stuff that appealed to me disappeared long ago.

Wow.  I was wondering what had happened to what they stocked several years ago, and how it slowly shifted from almost fully niche geek stuff to things with a much broader appeal...  That would explain exactly why, not to mention how their emails shifted over the years to "omg, look at this sale!" tactics. Always did wonder about that. 

Pity that their identity will be gone, and just mashed in there with GameStop... 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DocPiske said:

So I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't blame Reaper for not announcing bad news in advance. If they anmounce it in advance many will object about the news and will complain again when Reaper does not change the decision in spite of the opposition from fans and customers. If they don't announce in advance then many fans and customers (maybe the same, maybe others) will object to the change and complain about the lack of communication. I dont see that either strategy is more success oriented for the company. I think I would deliver the bad news when I had to and move on, focusing on communicating the good news.

I think with the shipping changes is was the total lack of an official announcement that was the issue.  I don't think people want a huge lead time, but maybe a week before doubling the free shipping minimum would have been nice.  As it is, because there was no announcement and the website is in transition, people found out because someone thought the checkout was being buggy.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wow.  I was wondering what had happened to what they stocked several years ago, and how it slowly shifted from almost fully niche geek stuff to things with a much broader appeal...  That would explain exactly why, not to mention how their emails shifted over the years to "omg, look at this sale!" tactics. Always did wonder about that. 

Pity that their identity will be gone, and just mashed in there with GameStop... 

Yup. One of my favorite shirts, which I mildly ruined one drunken night and was very upset over, simply said "w00t!" on it. It was a ThinkGeek purchase, and unless you were a particular subset of gamer you wouldn't get it. Then there was stuff like the pint glasses I bought that had "#include <beer.h>" on them. Not exactly super niche just based solely on what it says, but pretty dang niche based on how it says it.

Now? Now it's just mainstream stuff like Harry Potter, Pokemon, and Mario. I don't think there's a single coding reference on anything there now. And all the t-shirts look like stuff you could find by walking into a Hot Topic or even the screenpinted shirt section of a Walmart.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Has anybody brought it up on FB? I'm fairly sure that's a 'yes', but if not, it needs to be. Further, use FB and all the other social media outlets to organize a letter/email campaign.

It was brought up twice on FB and both posts were taken down. I have noticed that Reaper does have a tendency (at least on FB) to delete posts/comments that are (or can be seen as) negative to the company. 

• Sad 9

56 minutes ago, TripleH said:

It was brought up twice on FB and both posts were taken down. I have noticed that Reaper does have a tendency (at least on FB) to delete posts/comments that are (or can be seen as) negative to the company. 

That's why I suggested a letter, not a social media post. I don't know about Twitter, but FB is too easy to delete stuff that is... problematic. 

Harder to ignore letters.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I think with the shipping changes is was the total lack of an official announcement that was the issue.  I don't think people want a huge lead time, but maybe a week before doubling the free shipping minimum would have been nice.  As it is, because there was no announcement and the website is in transition, people found out because someone thought the checkout was being buggy.  

This, and it disproportionately hits a large chunk of customers. $35 dollar mark to $40 mark isn't a big deal, especially when the $40 mark was already set for mini of the month. 35 euro to 40 euro, same percentage increase. Meanwhile, Canada just got completely boned, going from $35 to $75. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Though I would announce discontinuations a bit in advance as @buglips*the*goblin suggested, and make an event of "Last chance to order N". (This has the advantage of increasing sales, probably, as well.)

They actually did it right with HD, in my opinion, except the timing of it was abysmal and threw people into an unexpected paint crisis two weeks before Reapercon and the closing of the pledge manager.  

4 hours ago, DocPiske said:

This is a valid point.  Most of my frustration stems from having to hunt around to find things out, having no idea what's going on, and discovering things after the fact.  

My frustration tends to be cumulative.  It's like radiation exposure.  With a low enough dose, spread out over enough time, I'm prolly cool with it.  With too much dose too close together, I get so mad my skin comes off.  But I could probably be sufficiently placated if I feel like Reaper's keeping us all in the loop from time to time.  Even if there's bad news I don't like, if I recognize it is necessary and didn't have to discover it on my own, I would be prepared to back Reaper up on it and find a nice way to put it.  Repeated negative surprises make me want to do the opposite.  

1 hour ago, TripleH said:

Reaper knows there is some level of discontent, especially with communication.  Hassling and hounding them will not be productive, so I wouldn't recommend it as a course of action.  But, as a free citizen, I will occassionally exercise my right to be cranky and gripe.  It is not my intention to start an uprising (please don't pitchfork Ed.  Or Ron, either, I guess ::P: ), nor is it even to really effect any change.  I just thought it was perhaps time to let people (especially people who feel likewise) know that I share a lot of the gripes.  

For my part, outside of this unexpected vent, instead of complaining I'm actually going to try and be nicer and friendlier.  Maybe, occassionally, that might provide an avenue to offer a good suggestion here and there - which might be more effective than people yelling at them.  

I mean, outside of my gripey gripes I do very much like the company and the people in it.  I would love to have no gripes and have nothing to say except awesome stuff.  I gripe because I love.  Or I love because I gripe.  Or something.

Love Gripes.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Lady Flamehawke! Welcome back and a BIG congratulations!!! I've been wondering what happened to you. Do you still have Angus (wrong spelling, I know, but I don't recall the correct spelling). 

Here's a picture of what happened in my life since you've been gone ^_^ 

IMG_2354.thumb.JPG.151419a9aca93da71eb10d11b818de3f.JPG

Awww. They are adorable. Congrats on the little one Red. As for Aonghus...I do not have him. He wound up really really bonding to one of my husband's friends. To the point he wound up being train within two weeks to be fully off-leash. He also now herds sheep as well. He is also extremely spoiled as the two adore each other. I'm glad to be back even with all the changes I'm seeing. This is still my little slice of sanity.

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Ladyhawke, welcome back, nice to meet you. Congrats on getting married.

@redambrosia you are hitting me with cute overload again!

Coffee this morning [lifts cup in salute to @Crowley]

@Glitterwolf thanks for the Airshow link

@Pezler the Polychromatic, I just give up....::P:

Thanks and good to meet you as well

• Like 10