Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

No game tonight, Megan and I just celebrated our fourth. ::):

The Auld Grump

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

:bday:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Hung out with friends. They're gonna be here all week, but they're gonna be camping out on the river they said. So on Monday I'm going tubing down the river with them since it's my day off this week. We're gonna get dropped off a few miles upstream, float a cooler full of beer, and spend about 3 hours drinking and drifting down river.

Also, I found out that my buddy made about $90 off of the D&D module he wrote and published on the DM's Guild last fall. He put it up for $3, and it sold around 60-70 copies. Which means DM's Guild takes at least 50% as their cut. Kind of steep if you ask me, but at least he made something. We were trying to get him to do another one, but he kept saying he wasn't going to because he wouldn't make any money off of it. His girlfriend, who did most of the art for it, countered by saying she tried selling stuff online and no one bought it at all so he's already got a leg up on her there, and $90 over 9 months isn't bad for a first time on a niche product.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 13

Well, they ay some days you win some, other days you lose some. 

Me versus the moon round two... No real luck with my camera. ..my cheating phone in the other hand, since it can do eyepiece projection...  At least caught the moon, through the biggest refractor telescope that the Edmonton RASC has set up in their observatory. 

Sadly, Jupiter on the other hand... I'll say my phone laughed at me, because wow, that was a giant ball of flare. 

Feet hurt a LOT, but standing pretty much still on concrete talking for two and a half hours does that... Doubly so when you factor in its a 40 minute walk I neach direction. 

Got to see some stuff I've never seen before though, so there is that.  Now I'm all conflicted between astrophotography and visual astronomy.... O_o

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Flamehawke said:

And yay! Finished a mini! So happy. Just have to brush up a few skills and press forward once more

Show off?

• Like 6

19 hours ago, TripleH said:

It was brought up twice on FB and both posts were taken down. I have noticed that Reaper does have a tendency (at least on FB) to delete posts/comments that are (or can be seen as) negative to the company. 

I didn't see those; were they polite and reasonable, or the typical FB woof fest?

19 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Wooooooooooo, that was the final challenger! *is crowned King of the Forums*

I don't recall ever relinquishing the crown.....

17 hours ago, Crowley said:

Free RPG day.

I went, and was kinda underwhelmed by what was on offer. I grabbed a couple dice, 'cause dice. I also picked up the newest in the 'We be goblins' series.

I also made a purchase to help support the store.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:
18 hours ago, Crowley said:

Free RPG day.

I went, and was kinda underwhelmed by what was on offer. I grabbed a couple dice, 'cause dice. I also picked up the newest in the 'We be goblins' series.

I also made a purchase to help support the store.

I grabbed the DCC module, and played in the Starfinder session. I actually enjoyed it. I don't know that I'd want to run it, but I like the setting. Also a 600 page rulebook just seems unwieldy. And it doesn't even come with a monster section?? My Rules Cyclopedia is 300 pages, comes with literally everything to run a D&D campaign from level 1-36. *shrug* 

Ah well, coffee and CPA studying... 

• Like 10

Brigid is quite proud of herself - she has learned how to crawl... upside down.

And make monster noises.

The cats are not amused. The dog realized that it put her face at tongue height. (Raa *ack!* Sputter, sputter....) ::D:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I grabbed the DCC module, and played in the Starfinder session. I actually enjoyed it. I don't know that I'd want to run it, but I like the setting. Also a 600 page rulebook just seems unwieldy. And it doesn't even come with a monster section?? My Rules Cyclopedia is 300 pages, comes with literally everything to run a D&D campaign from level 1-36. *shrug* 

Ah well, coffee and CPA studying... 

Starfinder is a ton of fun to run, but yeah the rulebook is not great for running. I had to lean heavily on being able to search the srd, and having all my notes formatted with what I need. 

There's also a bad tendency toward keeping important setting details out of setting books, so almost anything you run is going to immediately diverge from the official setting. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Well, they ay some days you win some, other days you lose some. 

Me versus the moon round two... No real luck with my camera. ..my cheating phone in the other hand, since it can do eyepiece projection...  At least caught the moon, through the biggest refractor telescope that the Edmonton RASC has set up in their observatory. 

You probably already know this, but because moon photography questions come up regularly on photography forums:

Remember that the moon is a gray rock in direct sunlight. To get a good exposure, you need to photograph it as if you were out on a sunny day. I've found ISO 200, f/11, 1/200 second (moony 11 rule?) or the equivalent a pretty good place to start.

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sadly, Jupiter on the other hand... I'll say my phone laughed at me, because wow, that was a giant ball of flare. 

I have a picture someplace around here of Jupiter and the four Galileean moons taken through the 16" reflector on the top of the Physics building at the University of Wyoming. It's pretty much a big ball of fuzz. To get anything even sharpish, you need really good sky conditions (happens better in the winter, when standing outside with the roof open runs coldish) and a dark sky (hard to do in a city) in addition to a synchronized telescope mount.

Oh, and it's sunlit as well, but between 5 and 6 AU from the sun, so it gets about 1/30 the solar illumination. Because Jupiter's albedo is around 0.5 while the moon's albedo is around 0.12, though, you might have to back off on the brightness by a couple of stops. I'd start somewhere around 3 stops brighter than a moon photo, call it f/4, ISO 200, 1/200 second and adjust.

• Like 6

Does anybody know any sites that have hex map tiles similar to the old Mighty Empires game by GW in the early nineties?

Megan is planning to use them for her hex crawling Pathfinder Northlands game, but any expansions we could make on it would be nice.

So far, Megan has laid out part of the coast - but it is pining for the fjords....

Seems like a solid idea - until we explore a hex, we don't know what is in it.

I have suggested putting in the nearest mountains as well, while leaving everything else empty until we get there. (The thing about mountains is that they don't exactly sneak up on you. ::P: )

I am also sending her to RedBox Games... no one does Northerners like Tre Manor. Though it looks like a lot of stuff I remember them having is now gone...?

My own character is from Mantic's Northern Alliance line, I think - maybe with a weapon swap, unless Megan wants me to find a weapon similar to what he is carrying*....

8306.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

Arnulf Twice-Married - Ranger/Paladin. Married, with two daughters, noted for marrying the same woman twice.

Not as powerfully muscled as he once was, but making up for it with cunning born of middle age. (Yes, I am starting a fighter type in middle age - now that he is aging, he wants to leave a legacy, and a name that his daughters can be proud of. He was not a hero, but wishes to become one before age claims him. A follower of Wolund the Rider, he is a blacksmith by trade, and was raised to the saddle since he was three years old.)

Based loosely on characters in the Kiev Cycle - if you have never read any of the old Russian and Slavic hero tales... I can highly recommend them. I first read one of the tales back in the early... eighties, I think - in Lin Carter's Dragons, Elves, and Heroes - a book of the precursors to modern fantasy.

I have never seen characters that hew closer to the archetypal D&D paladin - he even has the danged horse. ::P:

One of my coworkers asked Megan how we got together...  Megan's reply was an in depth description of the first Pathfinder game I ever ran for the Border's Crew. :lol: (Less strange a reply than you might think - the woman she is talking to is also a gamer... and is dating her own DM. ::P: )

The Auld Grump

* Seriously, I have no idea what that weapon is supposed to be....

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't think my FLGS quite gets the concept; they had the free stuff, had a sale running, had tons of people in attendance, but no one was actually playing anything.

Which is sad to me, that's half the reason I went; it's been forever since I had a game and I was hoping to meet some people to form a group with.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Does anybody know any sites that have hex map tiles similar to the old Mighty Empires game by GW in the early nineties?

Megan is planning to use them for her hex crawling Pathfinder Northlands game, but any expansions we could make on it would be nice.

So far, Megan has laid out part of the coast - but it is pining for the fjords....

I have suggested putting in the nearest mountains as well, while leaving everything else empty until we get there. (The thing about mountains is that they don't exactly sneak up on you. ::P: )

Magic Realm, Settlers of Catan, Tikal maybe. There's a list of games with hex tiles here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39556/games-use-hexagonal-tiles

For Mummy's Mask and Kingmaker, I printed out some blank hex sheets with 2-3" wide hexes (on the biggest sheets of paper I could run through the printer) and drew the terrain as the hexes were explored. In general, we assumed that the players could figure out the type of terrain adjacent to any explored hex, but details were only revealed during exploration.

If you don't have access to a file with blank hexagons, let me know and I can email you something.

6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Pretty sure it's a magic entrenching tool. Made out of glowing blue obsidian. 

Of course. ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I am also sending her to RedBox Games... no one does Northerners like Tre Manor. Though it looks like a lot of stuff I remember them having is now gone...?

My own character is from Mantic's Northern Alliance line, I think - maybe with a weapon swap, unless Megan wants me to find a weapon similar to what he is carrying*....

8306.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

Arnulf Twice-Married - Ranger/Paladin. Married, with two daughters, noted for marrying the same woman twice.

Not as powerfully muscled as he once was, but making up for it with cunning born of middle age. (Yes, I am starting a fighter type in middle age - now that he is aging, he wants to leave a legacy, and a name that his daughters can be proud of. He was not a hero, but wishes to become one before age claims him. A follower of Wolund the Rider, he is a blacksmith by trade, and was raised to the saddle since he was three years old.)

Based loosely on characters in the Kiev Cycle - if you have never read any of the old Russian and Slavic hero tales... I can highly recommend them. I first read one of the tales back in the early... eighties, I think - in Lin Carter's Dragons, Elves, and Heroes - a book of the precursors to modern fantasy.

I have never seen characters that hew closer to the archetypal D&D paladin - he even has the danged horse. ::P:

One of my coworkers asked Megan how we got together...  Megan's reply was an in depth description of the first Pathfinder game I ever ran for the Border's Crew. :lol: (Less strange a reply than you might think - the woman she is talking to is also a gamer... and is dating her own DM. ::P: )

The Auld Grump

I have scans of the mighty empires tiles. Made a cheap version of the game for myself nearly 20 years ago with rules and tiles off the net and crappy homemade pieces. If you want them I can put them somewhere for you to download tomorrow when I'm home.

Went to Jurrasic Quest yesterday. We all like dinosaurs so though it'd be fun. We liked it but not sure it was worth what I paid for 5 people. It's in the city where I went to university so it kind of feels like coming home. I'm only here every 4-5 years. Always interesting just to look around and see what's changed. Took the boys on a quick tour of the University of Saskatchewan too. Off to the zoo once everyone else has breakfast.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Magic Realm, Settlers of Catan, Tikal maybe. There's a list of games with hex tiles here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39556/games-use-hexagonal-tiles

For Mummy's Mask and Kingmaker, I printed out some blank hex sheets with 2-3" wide hexes (on the biggest sheets of paper I could run through the printer) and drew the terrain as the hexes were explored. In general, we assumed that the players could figure out the type of terrain adjacent to any explored hex, but details were only revealed during exploration.

If you don't have access to a file with blank hexagons, let me know and I can email you something.

Pretty sure it's a magic entrenching tool. Made out of glowing blue obsidian. 

Of course. ::D:

Wellll... Spade and Sword do share a root.... (Spatha Osseum? Spatha Osseous?Magical  Bone Shovel Polearm Thing What I Hits Things With?)

Huh, I hadn't realized that someone has done a redesign of Magic Realm, and released it for free. I haven't played it since... gods, the very early Eighties? The late Seventies? Hopefully the rules are a bit less of a tangled mess. (A wonderfully pretty game, but... the rules are a bit of a shambles.)

With a little fiddling I might be able to scale the tiles to fit with the Mighty Empires ones. Megan can use the Magic Realms ones for special locations.

Actually... thinking of how heroes, treasures, and monsters were handled in the game, Magic Realm also kind of reminds me of the old Bylinas.

The Auld Grump

4 minutes ago, Zink said:

I have scans of the mighty empires tiles. Made a cheap version of the game for myself nearly 20 years ago with rules and tiles off the net and crappy homemade pieces. If you want them I can put them somewhere for you to download tomorrow when I'm home.

Went to Jurassic Quest yesterday. We all like dinosaurs so though it'd be fun. We liked it but not sure it was worth what I paid for 5 people. It's in the city where I went to university so it kind of feels like coming home. I'm only here every 4-5 years. Always interesting just to look around and see what's changed. Took the boys on a quick tour of the University of Saskatchewan too. Off to the zoo once everyone else has breakfast.

Thanks! I will take you up on that!

I always liked Mighty Empires, and I keep thinking about modifying it for Kings of War.

There was also an attempt at modifying it for Ninth Age, which might be worth looking for if you play it. (9th Age is... not bad. I like it a lot more than Age of Sigmar, just not as much as Kings of War. Kings of War makes me think more of 3rd edition Warhammer than any of the later versions.)

The Auld Grump - I wonder if Megan would be interested in having her maps serve double duty with Kings of War....

• Like 5