Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hopefully the rules are a bit less of a tangled mess. (A wonderfully pretty game, but... the rules are a bit of a shambles.)

I so much wanted to like that game. I even bought the 2nd Edition rules by mail order from Avalon Hill.

They didn't help.

It had so many of the elements of a really good game (especially for the time it was released), but the combat system was wonky, the various modules that you added (through the programmed learning thing that AH used for complex games) had great flavor but at best marginal rules, ... and it ended up being not much fun. :down:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Does anybody know any sites that have hex map tiles similar to the old Mighty Empires game by GW in the early nineties?

Megan is planning to use them for her hex crawling Pathfinder Northlands game, but any expansions we could make on it would be nice.

So far, Megan has laid out part of the coast - but it is pining for the fjords....

Seems like a solid idea - until we explore a hex, we don't know what is in it.

I have suggested putting in the nearest mountains as well, while leaving everything else empty until we get there. (The thing about mountains is that they don't exactly sneak up on you. ::P: )

I am also sending her to RedBox Games... no one does Northerners like Tre Manor. Though it looks like a lot of stuff I remember them having is now gone...?

My own character is from Mantic's Northern Alliance line, I think - maybe with a weapon swap, unless Megan wants me to find a weapon similar to what he is carrying*....

8306.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

Arnulf Twice-Married - Ranger/Paladin. Married, with two daughters, noted for marrying the same woman twice.

Not as powerfully muscled as he once was, but making up for it with cunning born of middle age. (Yes, I am starting a fighter type in middle age - now that he is aging, he wants to leave a legacy, and a name that his daughters can be proud of. He was not a hero, but wishes to become one before age claims him. A follower of Wolund the Rider, he is a blacksmith by trade, and was raised to the saddle since he was three years old.)

Based loosely on characters in the Kiev Cycle - if you have never read any of the old Russian and Slavic hero tales... I can highly recommend them. I first read one of the tales back in the early... eighties, I think - in Lin Carter's Dragons, Elves, and Heroes - a book of the precursors to modern fantasy.

I have never seen characters that hew closer to the archetypal D&D paladin - he even has the danged horse. ::P:

One of my coworkers asked Megan how we got together...  Megan's reply was an in depth description of the first Pathfinder game I ever ran for the Border's Crew. :lol: (Less strange a reply than you might think - the woman she is talking to is also a gamer... and is dating her own DM. ::P: )

The Auld Grump

* Seriously, I have no idea what that weapon is supposed to be....

Either a glaive or a really chunky spear I think. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Wolves can't wear crowns, silly. ::P:

You obviously need instruction on the virtues of bone drills and epoxy.

• Haha 13

So I painted today. Sort of. I painted 3 spoons. I decided to finally test put my mirror chrome and holographic paints. So I primed, sprayed gloss black, and then one spoon of each and one of holographic on top of chrome. The chrome turned out bad. I think I over applied it. The holographic turned out great. The holographic on chrome was dumb and even with the really hazy and bad chrome you couldn't see any color shifting.

I didn't think the holographic on chrome would work all that well, but I wanted to try it anyway. I was disappointed in the chrome, but I've seen what people can do with it so the only thing I can think is that it was operator error. Also, it is very easy to accidentally scrape some of it off as I was warned. I tried to buff it a little bit with a paper towel, because I know you're supposed to buff it to get the real mirror shine, and it scratched it a ton. I know paper towels aren't the softest things ever, but I didn't think they would just tear through the paint the way they did.

But the holographic? The holographic on gloss black is very pretty. I have to wonder how it will look on top of other colors. Obviously lighter colors won't benefit much, but darker colors like a deep purple or blue should do fine.

Also, I need better ventilation if I'm gonna be working with these. They're lacquers, and just spraying 3 plastic spoons made me regret it a bit. That's some strong solvent odors there. So before I do any more with them I'm definitely going to need to redo my workspace. And they're so thin that good airbrush control is a must. I didn't think I was pulling the trigger that much and it was a giant cloud of paint coming out of the brush. Definitely a Krome-use only thing from now on. I'm gonna need that trigger stop. They're also a bit of a pain to clean out of the brush. The metallic fleck is so small and there's so much of it that I'm almost positive that I didn't get it all.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

You probably already know this, but because moon photography questions come up regularly on photography forums:

Remember that the moon is a gray rock in direct sunlight. To get a good exposure, you need to photograph it as if you were out on a sunny day. I've found ISO 200, f/11, 1/200 second (moony 11 rule?) or the equivalent a pretty good place to start.

I suspect the issues I was running into were two-fold: first, for some reason, my camera would change my display whenever I tried to focus, so it would completely blow out the entire image, making it more of a trial and error kind of focusing.  It's really hard to nail the focus when all you see is a bright blob.  It kind of became one of those "fun" scenarios of adjusting the focus juuuust a touch, take a photo, look, adjust, etc.  Secondly, I suspect maxing out my 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 at 60mm lens probably didn't help at all with this issue, since it just doesn't have enough magnification.  I would have stolen hubby's Olympus 14-150mm for somewhat better results, but he was asleep, and I also couldn't remember where we put our body caps (they're probably in a safe spot, like the boxes the cameras came in).

Most of my shots were at f/8 1/500, although it seems when I tried a second time I gave f/5.6 1/2000 a try because I thought it might be camera shake causing an issue or two.  First sets were handheld, second sets were on my knees on a concrete pathway because a) couldn't find a bench or picnic table around the observatory that didn't have a blocked view, and b) all I have atm is a table top tripod (UltraPod II - useful little thing, but no replacement for a proper tripod).  Sadly, I thought about the idea of using the built-in timer on my camera after I'd gotten home...

I suspect I'd have a much better time if I had a (much) longer focal length, and there are a few different options I'm looking at.

I didn't try any kind of eyepiece projection with my G85 because, well, uhm...  They didn't have anything for such, and I don't have any t-adapters either.  I'm still pretty darn happy about that mobile phone pic though ^_^

I have a picture someplace around here of Jupiter and the four Galileean moons taken through the 16" reflector on the top of the Physics building at the University of Wyoming. It's pretty much a big ball of fuzz. To get anything even sharpish, you need really good sky conditions (happens better in the winter, when standing outside with the roof open runs coldish) and a dark sky (hard to do in a city) in addition to a synchronized telescope mount.

Oh, and it's sunlit as well, but between 5 and 6 AU from the sun, so it gets about 1/30 the solar illumination. Because Jupiter's albedo is around 0.5 while the moon's albedo is around 0.12, though, you might have to back off on the brightness by a couple of stops. I'd start somewhere around 3 stops brighter than a moon photo, call it f/4, ISO 200, 1/200 second and adjust.

Edmonton RASC had it up on a 16" Meade SCT, but before that they had it on an open truss somewhere around but probably slightly larger than 16" (forgot the company name - Planet Wave.  Unknown if it was RCT or CDK design), both of them on goto equatorial mounts (no idea whether GEM or center-balanced).  I hear you on the sky conditions - with how atmospheric winds were, even just looking at the moon gave it this boiling liquid kind of look, which was kinda neat and all, but naturally would be annoying to anyone trying to take a good photograph.

Jupiter I tried, but yeaah...  My phone wasn't having any of that - if I was lucky to get the planet on the screen, it was a mass of purple and green flaring, and so after a minute of trying pretty much went "yeah, it's not going to cooperate handheld"

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Starfinder is a ton of fun to run, but yeah the rulebook is not great for running. I had to lean heavily on being able to search the srd, and having all my notes formatted with what I need. 

There's also a bad tendency toward keeping important setting details out of setting books, so almost anything you run is going to immediately diverge from the official setting. 

I feel like I'd have more fun with the setting as inspiration than the rules themselves. d6 Space (aka Star Wars by WEG) can probably handle the mechanics just fine. The rest is just set decoration. 

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't think my FLGS quite gets the concept; they had the free stuff, had a sale running, had tons of people in attendance, but no one was actually playing anything.

Which is sad to me, that's half the reason I went; it's been forever since I had a game and I was hoping to meet some people to form a group with.

Yeah... what's the point if you aren't going to line up games to play? Maybe next year you can offer to run something? Maybe get some store credit for it? 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Starfinder is a ton of fun to run, but yeah the rulebook is not great for running. I had to lean heavily on being able to search the srd, and having all my notes formatted with what I need. 

There's also a bad tendency toward keeping important setting details out of setting books, so almost anything you run is going to immediately diverge from the official setting. 

For my purposes, I don't see this being a problem; anything I run using Starfinder rules is automatically going to diverge from the setting, simply because I don't like very much of what they've done with their setting. ^^;

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Wolves can't wear crowns, silly. ::P:

REALLY?

image.png.fd86be3828e39a990bbd87699c4383b0.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Zink said:

I have scans of the mighty empires tiles. Made a cheap version of the game for myself nearly 20 years ago with rules and tiles off the net and crappy homemade pieces. If you want them I can put them somewhere for you to download tomorrow when I'm home.

Went to Jurrasic Quest yesterday. We all like dinosaurs so though it'd be fun. We liked it but not sure it was worth what I paid for 5 people. It's in the city where I went to university so it kind of feels like coming home. I'm only here every 4-5 years. Always interesting just to look around and see what's changed. Took the boys on a quick tour of the University of Saskatchewan too. Off to the zoo once everyone else has breakfast.

Oh, yes please!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Think you can do that to me? I'll show YOU!!! *turns into goo*

Scoops pezler into dustpan and dumps in the Sabretooth Tigers' litterbox

• Haha 8