Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:49 AM, Pingo said:

Musical Interludes on the graduation program will include “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac, “Vienna” by Billy Joel,  and “Under Pressure” by Queen.

PingosHusband noted that these are all older than the graduates.

The processional and recessional are total classics: Edward Elgar’s “Military March No. 1 in D” and William Boyce’s “Trumpet Tune.”

It was a bit of culture shock to discover that to the British Elgar’s tune just means ... Britain, sort of patriotically, like if they hear it it’s like a USAdian hearing “America the Beautiful.” Whereas if one of us hears it it means academia, caps and gowns, and little else.

I used to think it kept playing in Dangermouse to show how educated he was.

If you think that's bad, imagine what it's like for those of us growing up in a neutral country which gets media from both UK and USA. I had to deal with both foreign associations while growing up...

• Like 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Thinkgeek is having a 50%off sale on everything.

GEM

Wah :down:

I don't have funds for another month or two...

• Sad 7

13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Thanks! I will take you up on that!

I always liked Mighty Empires, and I keep thinking about modifying it for Kings of War.

There was also an attempt at modifying it for Ninth Age, which might be worth looking for if you play it. (9th Age is... not bad. I like it a lot more than Age of Sigmar, just not as much as Kings of War. Kings of War makes me think more of 3rd edition Warhammer than any of the later versions.)

The Auld Grump - I wonder if Megan would be interested in having her maps serve double duty with Kings of War....

9 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Oh, yes please!

Not on this computer. I've got a ton of stuff for all kinds of games saved but it's scattered over several computers. I'll try to get the tiles found tomorrow or the next day. I've got a couple versions of the rules on this computer. I've always wanted to use it as the base for a big campaign but never did. Maybe now that my kids are playing games with me it might be time to try again. 

I've heard good things about 9th Age and even downloaded some of the files but never played. I have the downloadable rules for King of War but never played it either. For that style of game I switched to Armies of Arcana about the time 7th ed Warhammer came out. Since then it's been my #1 choice for larger battles. Only play a few times a year with the big armies so never bothered trying out new games.

• Like 7

Uh oh.  I found out about Miniatures Scenery, and a few others (Blotz, Laser Army Scenery, Jackal Designs, Uncertain Scenery, and a few others).... And I'm now planning two different 4x6 tables... One 10mm (Uncertain Scenery, Blotz, TT Combat and a few others), and one 28mm (Laser Army Scenery mainly, with stuff from a bunch of others) ...both city.   Oh, and of course the Necromunda Hive World stuff from TT Combat I'd been contemplating before too... (well, their industrial stuff that is) 

...With the 28mm one being semi sort of Infinity inspired, but still usable for grimdark.  With a cargo ship in there too, maybe a submarine too, because why not.  Guess I definitely am going to have to significantly improve the storage options in my place.  All I know is the UPS, FedEx, and CanadaPost delivery drivers are going to hate me if I actually do a large batch order... Threw more or less everything I figured I'd want from Miniature Scenery into a cart? 36.5kg of MDF.... 

I'll figure out where this table of doom is going after.  Not that I can order the scenery yet, but still. 

Really kind of looking forward to the 10mm idea though, as it'll give my CAVs somewhere to stomp around... 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Think you can do that to me? I'll show YOU!!! *turns into goo*

"Goo" just happens to be the private label name that William K. Walthers has been marketing Goodyear Pliobond to the Model Railroad market for decades.  If you aren't familiar with it, it is one of the strongest bond strength contact adhesives on the market.

>Purple On<

Any crown that comes in contact with Goo is going to be permenantly affixed to the next item it comes into contact with, and if that's Pezler then it will requires surgical intervention to remove.

>Purple off<

GEM

• Haha 12

5 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

"Goo" just happens to be the private label name that William K. Walthers has been marketing Goodyear Pliobond to the Model Railroad market for decades.  If you aren't familiar with it, it is one of the strongest bond strength contact adhesives on the market.

>Purple On<

Any crown that comes in contact with Goo is going to be permenantly affixed to the next item it comes into contact with, and if that's Pezler then it will requires surgical intervention to remove.

>Purple off<

GEM

YAY! Someone needs to medically intervene to remove me! I guess that means.....I'm everyone's cyster. :devil:

• Haha 13

14 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Think you can do that to me? I'll show YOU!!! *turns into goo*

>dumps kitty litter on the mess, lets it absorb, then cleans it up and disposes of it<

12 hours ago, Fire_Eyes said:

My youngest brother is painting a mini right now. When I started out he painted one with me and promptly lost interest, so I'm very excited to see him getting back into it... But I'm trying not to show it too much lest I frighten the teenager away with my enthusiasm ::P:

Good luck!

9 hours ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Like anyone that has spent years in the retail management profession (or any other profession, for that matter); I am used to having to put out fires at work, but today’s was a little too literal.  Someone managed to catch the mulch in our islands in the parking lot on fire with a carelessly discarded cigarette.  Everyone at work is thankful that I know how to use a fire extinguisher, especially those that park in the spaces closest to where the fire was.  Out of the four mulch/grass fires that I have had to put out at my places of employment over the years, this is the first where you could see flames coming out of the mulch.  One other you could see flames eating the grass between the store I worked at at that time and the highway it is located on before I got it out.

pro tip that I forgot today, if using a powder based extinguisher outside, make sure you aren’t spraying upwind of yourself.  That mess burns when you breathe it in, and it is corrosive so it continues burning.

If you haven't already, please get to a medical professional to find out what kind of negative repercussions that's going to cause (if any).

Weekends are too short, I think I can see a mental health day in conjunction with a weekend in my near future.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I did a helmet conversion years ago because the head that came with a miniature was missing the lower half. Essentially, I sawed the lower half of a different helmet off and Frankensteined the two together to make a beautiful chimera. 

Anyway, this morning I was eying that figure and really wanting to use that head on a different figure for a conversion. The problem being that I tend to really over-engineer joins so I’m genuinely concerned that attempting to remove it might destroy the helmet and the figure. 

The moral of this story is that you don’t actually have to make the join between the body and the head of a 28mm figure stronger than the actual miniature itself but if you do the miniature in question will thank its lucky stars that it was saved from the bits-robbers by the Great Builder’s idiotic need to ensure that no figure will fall apart during such common tabletop situations as earthquake, landslides, volcanic eruptions, and nuclear strikes. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

>dumps kitty litter on the mess, lets it absorb, then cleans it up and disposes of it<

Good luck!

If you haven't already, please get to a medical professional to find out what kind of negative repercussions that's going to cause (if any).

Weekends are too short, I think I can see a mental health day in conjunction with a weekend in my near future.

According to the msds on abc powder type fire extinguishers on file at work it shouldn’t cause much more than a few days of irritation to my sinuses and windpipe at the low level of exposure I experienced.  As soon as the burning started I held my breath and moved around the fire to be upwind of it, only then continuing to use the extinguisher. 

Speaking of Material Safety Data Sheets, some of them for mundane items can be pretty concerning to read. As a manufacturing and assembly facility we have to keep them on file for everything in the building that can have a detrimental effect on your health, including such things as the bandages in the first aid kits (mainly hazardous to those with latex allergies).  The MSDS on aspirin is multiple pages of warnings alone. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

MSDS is the bane of my existence. EVERYTHING has MSDS attached to it. My tanker mainly carries crude oil. You might think that one set of MSDS would cover crude oil, but that is far too easy. Every different cargo has to have it's own set of MSDS generated, even 'though they are essentially identical. And they have to be kept on file, just in case...  My ship is 8 years old and we whole cupboards full of these things.

Additionally every chemical, paint and lubricating oil we take as stores has the same rigmarole. Much of this (like so much else) is manufactured in China. And getting any sort of sensible MSDS out of China is... hard work. 

It serves us all right for putting our well-being into the hands of lawyers. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ah, that most traditional of Father's Day gifts - an Old Spice Gift Set. ::P:

I am certain that Brigid thought of this all on her lonesome, with no help at all from her mom. (Homemade gift paper made using the illos from the D&D Old Spice Gentleman supplement. :lol: )

No after school game tonight... feels weird....

Things went smoothly for the Fearsome Foursome at the Smugglers Tavern, they even managed not to kill any of the people that they were trying to arrest. (Both groups grabbed that wand of Sleep with twelve charges remaining - the Five Man Band used three charges, the Fearsome Foursome used eight....)

The ogre did manage to get away - the team was unprepared for the ogre to bull rush his way through, and then keep running.

They did manage to capture the other ogre - after he managed to do some damage. But they did manage to take him alive.

They will be encountering the ogre that got away at some point in the future... probably not in an antagonistic way. (He's actually not a bad guy, but his family needs the money.)

Then came the Battle in the Barracks... which did not go smoothly for them.

Three dead, and lots of folks in negative HP, including the Witch that is their main healer - the paladin managed to stabilize her at -8HP - and she only has a 10 Con. None of the PCs are dead, and they did manage to keep Lt. Rotten Apple alive - though he is one of the ones in the negative HP.

The sergeant that they got along best with was one of the dead.

Healing will take weeks, not including the witch using Cure Light Woulds and the Paladin Laying on Hands.

Even though the Juggernaut was a lower CR for this group, the precinct took a mauling. (A cleric makes a big difference.)

Their biggest mistake was when they had their witch within a clear five foot step of the Juggernaut. He took that five foot step, and... squished the squishy. She had just finished dropping Cure Light Wounds on the Lt.. (Which will help in trying to flip him, later. Her taking a hit trying to save his arse will give a bonus, just because I am that nice a guy. <_< As a second bonus - he was also the loudest voice against having a witch in the police department. This will shut him up in that regard, and if he can make a WIL save against himself he will even apologize.)

When and if things pick up again in September, they will need to dig into who sent the undead Juggernaut against them - this was a very expensive attack, both for the creature itself and the full plate it was wearing, not to mention the Large cold iron great hammer... (The hammer being cold iron is a *clue*TM - the police were not the original target the thing was made against.)

Questions include how the heck it managed to make it into the walled compound that includes the barracks... There is supposed to be a guard at the gate.

I was also nice, and gave the PC in each group that lives outside the Mob House a choice about being in the barracks or being safe and sound - and both the wizard and the witch decided to take their chances with their team mates. It made a difference.

The Auld Grump - the original plan was to drop the Juggernaut on the group while the two members were off the grounds - but that felt too much like punishing them for good choices.

• Like 11

I really should have started on my ReaperCon entry this weekend, but I wasn’t feeling the painting love. So I painted Sir Forscale instead. He’s only been hanging out in his stark white Bonesiness for what, five years now? Longer? He’s now a shiny Sky Steel with a nice spring green tunic. Should wrap him up in a few days.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

>Purple On<

>Purple off<

GEM

Surgery? We can do it! "Paging Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just realized that I can use the Parliament House (with kegs of gunpowder in the basement) from the Heroic Maps Patreon in the after school game next year - they do not know about the maps from my Regency Space game. ::D:

One of the clues that will tie into the Juggernaut - one of the last delivered cargoes from the smugglers was a massive shipment of gunpowder.... But why would a church be buying gunpowder in such quantities?... :devil:

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

Co-Worker came back Saturday night,  after having 2 weeks off. It was nice to have things back to normal. Oddly, he was grumpy as he was before the time off. ::D: I did ask him to swap days with me this week as I was assuming I'd get his days off again, next week when he goes again on vacation. So instead of the 8 days shift I just worked 5 days. He liked the idea of the extra day off for vacation (ie day off this week, Saturday), I had last night off & tonight. I did find out that instead of his shift next week, I'm gonna be working 6 days & depending on when the day off next week comes I'll probably work over 7 days (5 this week + whenever next week....sigh). Also sounds like it's gonna be a potpourri of people working with me next week, again sigh.

Oh well, I did get a confirm that I will have my 2 weeks off next month, so at least I've got that going for me. Now to plan out tonight's game!!

• Like 12