Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

21 year old son now has a job starting Thursday as a camp counsellor at an overnight camp.  This will be Good For Him, but it will be strange having him basically gone all summer.  And next Monday teenage daughter will be off to Japan, so there will be 10 days of only having two little girls in the house.  It's going to be so very quiet...  

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

21 year old son now has a job starting Thursday as a camp counsellor at an overnight camp.  This will be Good For Him, but it will be strange having him basically gone all summer.  And next Monday teenage daughter will be off to Japan, so there will be 10 days of only having two little girls in the house.  It's going to be so very quiet...  

That's an assumption I look forward to hearing about after those 10 days.

 

Monday...

 

Coffee...

  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just released a juvenile starling that bounced off our kitchen window and had been staggering around being a danger to itself. It was fairly easy to catch, so probably would have attracted the attention of local predators. Nothing seemed broken, so I left him in a quiet place inside a covered box for an hour and a half and then waited until a mob of his fellows were back in the garden.

 

After giving me a beakfull of abuse and some hefty pecks, he flew back to his flock. Here's the ungrateful little brat ::D:

 

DSCN9801.thumb.JPG.4668584ead38e37ba3316fb2faf23eb4.JPG

 

Of course, the cats are absolutely furious that I didn't share it with them. Even worse, I used one of Kuros favourite boxes to put it in :ph34r:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Crowley said:

That's an assumption I look forward to hearing about after those 10 days.

 

Monday...

 

Coffee...

 

Well, evenings will be quieter, at least.  And I'll be able to make food and not have it immediately devoured.  We'll see.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 10:03 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Does anybody know any sites that have hex map tiles similar to the old Mighty Empires game by GW in the early nineties?

 

Megan is planning to use them for her hex crawling Pathfinder Northlands game, but any expansions we could make on it would be nice.

Aren't you a Campaign Cartographer user?   

One of the ProFantasy annuals has an issue devoted to hex mapping. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided tomorrow is going to be a painting day, so taking the day off from work except one meeting that I need to attend. Maybe get a good start on an entry or two. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 11:59 PM, Unruly said:

Hung out with friends. They're gonna be here all week, but they're gonna be camping out on the river they said. So on Monday I'm going tubing down the river with them since it's my day off this week. We're gonna get dropped off a few miles upstream, float a cooler full of beer, and spend about 3 hours drinking and drifting down river.

 

Also, I found out that my buddy made about $90 off of the D&D module he wrote and published on the DM's Guild last fall. He put it up for $3, and it sold around 60-70 copies. Which means DM's Guild takes at least 50% as their cut. Kind of steep if you ask me, but at least he made something. We were trying to get him to do another one, but he kept saying he wasn't going to because he wouldn't make any money off of it. His girlfriend, who did most of the art for it, countered by saying she tried selling stuff online and no one bought it at all so he's already got a leg up on her there, and $90 over 9 months isn't bad for a first time on a niche product.

 

What is the name of the product?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corsair said:

2 10 year olds should not equal quiet. If it is, be worried.

 

I mean, I might have a different definition of quiet.  But you'd be surprised how quiet kids can be at the START of summer.  The library summer reading program keeps them glued to their books and having free time to play is new and enticing.  

 

The bickering and door slamming will start after a couple of weeks.  

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 12:59 AM, Unruly said:

Also, I found out that my buddy made about $90 off of the D&D module he wrote and published on the DM's Guild last fall. He put it up for $3, and it sold around 60-70 copies. Which means DM's Guild takes at least 50% as their cut. Kind of steep if you ask me, but at least he made something. We were trying to get him to do another one, but he kept saying he wasn't going to because he wouldn't make any money off of it. His girlfriend, who did most of the art for it, countered by saying she tried selling stuff online and no one bought it at all so he's already got a leg up on her there, and $90 over 9 months isn't bad for a first time on a niche product.

I've heard that DM's Guild takes a much bigger cut than DriveThruRPG, since material there is approved for D&D. 

You might encourage him to try something more generic and look into publishing it via DriveThruRPG. 

Also in my experience, people tend to look for stuff by an author they like, so a second module will have more exposure than the first, and may even boost sales of the first. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Aren't you a Campaign Cartographer user?   

One of the ProFantasy annuals has an issue devoted to hex mapping. 

Because I am not talking about hex mapping, I am talking about geomorphic hex mapping - creating individual hexes that can interconnect in a sensible fashion, and revealed as the PCs explore the hex. Each hex is, if memory serves, about three inches from side to side.

 

I am guessing that you have never used the Mighty Empire game - but here is what a couple of page of the tiles looks like, from Katie's Wargame page -

Costal1.jpg

rivervalley1.jpg

(Pretty sure she just plunked the tiles on a scanner, which is why things don't quite line up perfectly.)

 

Essentially, every contiguous terrain feature - coasts, rivers, mountains - join through the center of a hex side. (Though mountains are a bit more involved.)

 

So, a mountain hex that includes a river source will connect the mountains through the center of two of the hex sides and the river through a third.

 

I could, in theory, use CC3 to create compatible hexes, but they would not look as nice, plus... Megan is not as huge a fan of CC3 as I am. ::P: If I do the map then I will (dramatic music) know too much.

 

A while back GW tried to do a second edition of the game, with plastic tiles in place of the cardboard. I gather it did not do too well. (Too expensive for too little material - the plan was to sell expansions, but people didn't bother buying the game, so those expansions never happened.)

 

I was hoping that, like Warhammer Quest, people had done their own compatible tiles to expand upon the existing set.

 

Which reminds me, there was a fan made Warhammer Quest tile set made for Norsca.... Don't know if Megan will find them handy or not.

 

*EDIT* Interesting - I did discover that somebody did tiles compatible with the newer plastic version that can be created on a 3D printer -

e576ba6e562b81e81963d33e2478beff_preview

****

 

Sign that marriage changes things - I went to play Free Cell on my computer, and discovered that I hadn't launched the program in more than four years.... I had more than 2,000 consecutive wins before then. (Free Cell isn't really a solitaire game, it is more of a solitaire puzzle - every game can be finished and 'won'.)

 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I am guessing that you have never used the Mighty Empire game

Your guess would be wrong. Used to play it a lot.  Gave my original copy to my best friend back in 99 when I moved, then bought 2 of the plastic tile boxes when they came out, finally finished painting them up a couple years ago, and now wish I had bought more. 

Where I was wrong was not guessing that Megan wanted geomorphic. 

I've been mulling around an idea of using CC3 to create my own tiles, printing them out, and adhering them to 3D printed frames with magnets in them

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Your guess would be wrong. Used to play it a lot.  Gave my original copy to my best friend back in 99 when I moved, then bought 2 of the plastic tile boxes when they came out, finally finished painting them up a couple years ago, and now wish I had bought more. 

Where I was wrong was not guessing that Megan wanted geomorphic. 

I've been mulling around an idea of using CC3 to create my own tiles, printing them out, and adhering them to 3D printed frames with magnets in them

In that case - here is the Thingiverse page for compatible hexes for 3D printing. ::): You can expand upon your plastic sets! (Which do look great - if GW had priced them sensibly... well, they wouldn't be GW. <_< )

 

*EDIT* The creator has several more sets of compatible tiles on his page - including some specialized by army book - dwarfs, chaos, etc. I find myself seriously wishing I had a 3D printer, looking at his stuff. ::):

 

I loved that freaking game - which is why I still have a set twenty-nine(?!) years later.

 

I liked Warhammer a lot more with the campaign system than I ever had without it - at one time eight of us owned sets, and combined them for a campaign with twenty something players. We covered an entire floor! The campaign ran for two years, then sort of petered out... two years is a long time to commit to weekly wargames.

 

I think Megan decided on Geomorphic Tile Mapping when she started reading the Kingdom Management rules for Pathfinder,  and remembered that I had cut the individual hex map apart for the Kingmaker game. (First year of our marriage. And it took the entire year - the Kingmaker AP gives a lot of bang for the buck. ::D:  I like Curse of the Crimson Throne more - but the sheer amount of play for Kingmaker is remarkable.)

 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 3:51 AM, Flamehawke said:

This is still my little slice of sanity.

Umm... I think you may be looking in the wrong place for that...

 

Maybe on some of the other threads, but certainly not this thread...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sumbloke said:
On 6/15/2019 at 1:51 PM, Flamehawke said:

This is still my little slice of sanity.

Umm... I think you may be looking in the wrong place for that...

 

Maybe on some of the other threads, but certainly not this thread...

Yeah... Sumbloke is right...  

 

Okay, dinner, then CPA study. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×